Football rule of the week

  1. #1
    HT721's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,576

    Football rule of the week

    I enjoy the rules discussion so figured I may put one up a week so long as people want to discuss them.

    This one is fun. Rule 8-4-2

    After a field goal, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.


    Anyone ever seen a team get scored on give the ball back to the scoring team? Also, if you coach when have you or your captains ever been asked what you want to do when you opponents kick a field goal?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    501

    I haven't, but have heard of it. How about this:

    A free kick following a fair catch? This I have seen, and yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. You punt to me, I fair catch it. We line up in a kickoff formation, as do you. I kick the ball through the uprights and get 3 points. Score! Talk about bizarre.

  3. #3
    HT721's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,576

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    I haven't, but have heard of it. How about this:

    A free kick following a fair catch? This I have seen, and yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. You punt to me, I fair catch it. We line up in a kickoff formation, as do you. I kick the ball through the uprights and get 3 points. Score! Talk about bizarre.
    Ya that one always made a tad more sense to me since you scored, late i. A close game or right before the half this call makes sense.

  4. #4
    barrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    1,610

    Quote Originally Posted by HT721 View Post
    I enjoy the rules discussion so figured I may put one up a week so long as people want to discuss them.

    This one is fun. Rule 8-4-2

    After a field goal, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.


    Anyone ever seen a team get scored on give the ball back to the scoring team? Also, if you coach when have you or your captains ever been asked what you want to do when you opponents kick a field goal?
    I’ve never been asked but we have kicked off to to start the game and after halftime.

    I’m trying to think when one would ever do this. Maybe under weather conditions or to attempt an onside kick for better field position?

  5. #5
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,639

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    I haven't, but have heard of it. How about this:

    A free kick following a fair catch? This I have seen, and yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. You punt to me, I fair catch it. We line up in a kickoff formation, as do you. I kick the ball through the uprights and get 3 points. Score! Talk about bizarre.
    Johnson Central used this rule for their kicker to attempt a State Record kick a few years back if I recall

  6. #6
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    ďIt's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,224

    Cool thread, great idea, IMO.

  7. #7
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,800

    This is an old school rule, I believe. In the early days of football teams would often punt on first or second down (sometimes not even running a play) if their punter was better than the other and they could pin the opponent deep in their own territory. Then they'd try to turn over the other team or hold them deep on downs to get the ball back. With the proliferation of high powered offenses anymore I can't imagine many teams doing this today.

    By the way, the book below is awesome if you are interested in how the game was played in the late 1800s and very early 1900s. It was a completely different world.

    Name:  61qa-qzpNcL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  50.0 KB

  8. #8
    Mediocre Nachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    1,450

    Quote Originally Posted by HT721 View Post
    I enjoy the rules discussion so figured I may put one up a week so long as people want to discuss them.

    This one is fun. Rule 8-4-2

    After a field goal, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.


    Anyone ever seen a team get scored on give the ball back to the scoring team? Also, if you coach when have you or your captains ever been asked what you want to do when you opponents kick a field goal?
    Yeah, you should do this every week. I'm sure there are some obscure rules that nobody really knows about. Nice post.

  9. #9
    barrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    1,610

    Or some rules people think they know. Football is strange in that the rules are different from HS, College, Pro and Texas.

  10. #10
    HT721's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,576

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    This is an old school rule, I believe. In the early days of football teams would often punt on first or second down (sometimes not even running a play) if their punter was better than the other and they could pin the opponent deep in their own territory. Then they'd try to turn over the other team or hold them deep on downs to get the ball back. With the proliferation of high powered offenses anymore I can't imagine many teams doing this today.

    By the way, the book below is awesome if you are interested in how the game was played in the late 1800s and very early 1900s. It was a completely different world.

    Name:  61qa-qzpNcL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  50.0 KB
    Ya most people don’t know it’s called a grid iron because back in the day it had vertical as well as lateral yard lines forming a “grid” to pass you had to move over to the left or right so many yard before you could throw a forward pass.

  11. #11
    HT721's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,576

    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Or some rules people think they know. Football is strange in that the rules are different from HS, College, Pro and Texas.
    I’m not wasting my time arguing with a Texan if they show up on this I’m out.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    102

    The rule that has been around forever and lately has been the thing to do is Aiding the Runner. Even though it is legal in college, it is still illegal in HS. The rugby scrum is happening more and more in HS and is against the rules but it never gets called. Because players, coaches and fans see it in college games they automatically assume itís legal in HS. But there are a lot of college rules that are illegal in HS, most noteabley throwing the ball out of bounds when the QB is out of the tackle box.

  13. #13
    barrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    1,610

    Quote Originally Posted by Roundsteak View Post
    The rule that has been around forever and lately has been the thing to do is Aiding the Runner. Even though it is legal in college, it is still illegal in HS. The rugby scrum is happening more and more in HS and is against the rules but it never gets called. Because players, coaches and fans see it in college games they automatically assume itís legal in HS. But there are a lot of college rules that are illegal in HS, most noteabley throwing the ball out of bounds when the QB is out of the tackle box.
    BTW this rule applies to defense too. They canít legally push a defender. For example a LB canít walk up. Put his hand on the DL and at the snap of the ball shove him forward.

    Now the aiding the runner youíll never get that call unless the offense grabs the ball carrier and pulls him forward. Shoving or hitting the pile will never get called. Especially since Iím many cases when you hit the pile you are not directly hitting/pushing the ball carrier.

    Iím not sure about what time frame you are referring to as lately but I know itís been the norm for 30+ years.

  14. #14
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    ďIt's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,224

    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Or some rules people think they know.
    After becoming an official, it's incredible how many people don't know the rules of high school football that they are screaming about from the stands. I mean, I already knew that, but actually knowing the rules better now confirms it.

  15. #15
    Mr.Network's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    From Lincoln County, Kentucky. Live in Chicago area.
    Posts
    5,901

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    After becoming an official, it's incredible how many people don't know the rules of high school football that they are screaming about from the stands. I mean, I already knew that, but actually knowing the rules better now confirms it.
    I started sitting by myself when I heard this comment at a high school game, “It’s ok, we have timeouts and the two-minute warning......”

Top