Football practice in June

Page 2 of What do some schools do in June as in what days do teams practice or lift? Our school goes on a Mon, Tue, Thur. Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 80 comments | 5036 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    162

    Don't know which kids some of you are talking about but the ones I'm in contact with can't wait for school to be out so that they can concentrate on their sport. I'm not going to tell the kids "no. Go take a month and half break". These kids aren't competing with the KY athletes they are competing with the Florida and southern athletes. Those athletes who train yr around. Times have changed, the game is much more competitive, kids are bigger and much faster, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    HedgeHog8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    #FearTheVeer
    Posts
    28

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    Obviously anytime anyone talks about "voluntary" workouts in the summer quotation marks should be used.
    Haha. I don't know about the quotes. It is implied that you be there at as much as possible in order for us all to get better. With that being said, we work with other sports to avoid burnout in those kids doing multiple sports in June. There is no punishment for missing because attendance is not taken. We encourage our kids and parents to schedule vacations before dead period. Everything installed during this time is repeated in July, so no one misses any instruction.

    As coaches, we have a duty to make sure our athletes are in condition to practice in the heat and compete at the appropriate level. There is special emphasis on this post-dead period. IMO, if we were to do nothing football related mid-May to July 10, I would be in violation of my duty to my kids.

  3. #18
    Harry Doyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 09
    Posts
    4,025

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTiger55 View Post
    Don't know which kids some of you are talking about but the ones I'm in contact with can't wait for school to be out so that they can concentrate on their sport. I'm not going to tell the kids "no. Go take a month and half break". These kids aren't competing with the KY athletes they are competing with the Florida and southern athletes. Those athletes who train yr around. Times have changed, the game is much more competitive, kids are bigger and much faster, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work.
    Talk about comparing apples and oranges......Us compared to Florida, Georgia, Alabama. We've never been on their level and never will.....population and the demographics within that will always give them the trump card; forever and ever. Now...Tennessee? Sure. We have and do.....a little more comparison there in terms of populations.

    But, you're right....that's who we try to compete with.

    Us trying to compete with Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, etc is about like hoping our best 1A can compete/beat our best 5A/6A on any kind of a regular basis.....not going to happen.

  4. #19
    Harry Doyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 09
    Posts
    4,025

    Another thing.....from a coaching side of things; those other states to our south (specifically Georgia and Alabama) get those little golden nuggets called "Extended Days" & in bulk. lol Their time in June/July is very much compensated.

    Here? Where these slap in the face stipends (especially for assistant coaches) haven't so much as changed (and in some cases decreased b/c of extended days being taken away) in the last 20-30 years? Not so much.....

  5. #20
    HedgeHog8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    #FearTheVeer
    Posts
    28

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Doyle View Post
    Another thing.....from a coaching side of things; those other states to our south (specifically Georgia and Alabama) get those little golden nuggets called "Extended Days" & in bulk. lol Their time in June/July is very much compensated.

    Here? Where these slap in the face stipends (especially for assistant coaches) haven't so much as changed (and in some cases decreased b/c of extended days being taken away) in the last 20-30 years? Not so much.....
    Wait, assistant coaches get extended days?!

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    478

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse78 View Post
    IF the KHSAA were concerned about sports in our state they would mandate a dead period from the ending of softball/baseball state tourney through July 10th. I maybe in the minority here, but saving these kids from burnout needs to be an addressed issue. Heck, kids are playing 100 plus baseball games a year now starting in little league with spring baseball, summer ball, and fall travel ball...can't imagine why they don't play by the time they are getting to high school. It's a shame really.
    As Harry Doyle told me a few posts ago....play on playa...preach.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    May 06
    Posts
    1,175

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Doyle View Post
    Another thing.....from a coaching side of things; those other states to our south (specifically Georgia and Alabama) get those little golden nuggets called "Extended Days" & in bulk. lol Their time in June/July is very much compensated.

    Here? Where these slap in the face stipends (especially for assistant coaches) haven't so much as changed (and in some cases decreased b/c of extended days being taken away) in the last 20-30 years? Not so much.....
    Furthermore, many of those schools offer multiple athletics periods where Johnny gets to practice during the school day, he doesn't have to stay an additional 3-4 hours after school. It's a complete advantage that KY will never go to. We aren't even playing in the same realm as those states down south. Wanna compete with those guys, move there...it's the reality...unfortunately.

  8. #23
    Harry Doyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 09
    Posts
    4,025

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse78 View Post
    Furthermore, many of those schools offer multiple athletics periods where Johnny gets to practice during the school day, he doesn't have to stay an additional 3-4 hours after school. It's a complete advantage that KY will never go to. We aren't even playing in the same realm as those states down south. Wanna compete with those guys, move there...it's the reality...unfortunately.
    Yep. That too.....EXaaaactly.

  9. #24
    Harry Doyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 09
    Posts
    4,025

    Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog8 View Post
    Wait, assistant coaches get extended days?!
    Honest question or am I missing something there? lol

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Shang Ri La
    Posts
    2,749

    But the manly men will still practice 4-5 days a week in June. 2 things will happen to 95% of them.
    A. The roster will be smaller and someone will pontificate on how todays kids are soft.
    B. In early to late November they will be free to go watch some playoff games and on the drive there they can talk about how they just need to practice more.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    May 06
    Posts
    1,175

    Quote Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
    But the manly men will still practice 4-5 days a week in June. 2 things will happen to 95% of them.
    A. The roster will be smaller and someone will pontificate on how todays kids are soft.
    B. In early to late November they will be free to go watch some playoff games and on the drive there they can talk about how they just need to practice more.

  12. #27
    HedgeHog8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    #FearTheVeer
    Posts
    28

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Doyle View Post
    Honest question or am I missing something there? lol
    Only head coaches get extended days in my district

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    162

    Quote Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
    But the manly men will still practice 4-5 days a week in June. 2 things will happen to 95% of them.
    A. The roster will be smaller and someone will pontificate on how todays kids are soft.
    B. In early to late November they will be free to go watch some playoff games and on the drive there they can talk about how they just need to practice more.
    Ouch! Better be part of that 5%. Still better odds than the 1% that make it to collegiate football��. I'm not saying mandate it, but don't take it away from the ones that want to.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    478

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse78 View Post
    Furthermore, many of those schools offer multiple athletics periods where Johnny gets to practice during the school day, he doesn't have to stay an additional 3-4 hours after school. It's a complete advantage that KY will never go to. We aren't even playing in the same realm as those states down south. Wanna compete with those guys, move there...it's the reality...unfortunately.
    Can vouch for that. Played baseball in Ft. Walton last spring break. One game was at Ft. Walton HS. Football field is beside the baseball field. Skill players were on the football field running routes/ 7 on 7 during most of the baseball game that started at noon......on Thursday.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    478

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTiger55 View Post
    Ouch! Better be part of that 5%. Still better odds than the 1% that make it to collegiate football��. I'm not saying mandate it, but don't take it away from the ones that want to.
    I think most will agree that the 95% will be driving to watch the 5% regardless of how many practices are held and when. It boils down to what you do not how much you do. Doing the wrong thing repeatedly ain't going to make you better.....

Top