Estill County hires Jordan Marcum as new head football coach

  1. #1
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,029

    Estill County hires Jordan Marcum as new head football coach

    Estill County has hired Madison Central assistant Jordan Marcum as the new head football coach. Official announcement will be made today around 5 PM.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    2-3-Zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Posts
    1,926

    All State with you being an Estill County guy, good or bad hire?

  3. #3
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,029

    Honestly I'm not sure. It was basically down to 3 candidates the whole time, Jordan Marcum (Madison Central), Austin Maples (Montgomery County) and Cade Berryman (In-House). It came down to Marcum and Maples with Marcum getting the nod. Madison Central had a fantastic season last year and I'm certain Estill is hoping coach Marcum can bring some of that with him to Irvine.

    Maples was the OC at Montgomery even tho he didn't call the plays last season, he did however call them when Dan Gooch was coach.

    Cade Berryman was Estill's middle school coach and the special teams coach at the high school. Played at Estill. Other than that he has no coaching experience.

    Their was some on the staff that I feel should have gotten an interview. Austin Moore, Russ Swim (not exactly sure if he applied) and maybe one more.

    I'm really excited to see how the spread offense/option whatever coach Marcum brings, works at Estill. He will inherit a Trevor Jones type QB in Ty Niece. Let him sling it over the field or keep it. The double wing was great when you had a line that could block and open up holes but if you don't then you aren't getting anywhere with it so it was time for the ole double wing to go hide for awhile.

    I'm optimistic. I'm willing to give Coach Marcum time to see what he can do. I just hope he stays at Estill for awhile and not just a year or two.

  4. #4
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,029

    Coach Marcum is bringing one of Madison Central's assistants with him.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    757

    Quote Originally Posted by All State Baseball View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure. It was basically down to 3 candidates the whole time, Jordan Marcum (Madison Central), Austin Maples (Montgomery County) and Cade Berryman (In-House). It came down to Marcum and Maples with Marcum getting the nod. Madison Central had a fantastic season last year and I'm certain Estill is hoping coach Marcum can bring some of that with him to Irvine.

    Maples was the OC at Montgomery even tho he didn't call the plays last season, he did however call them when Dan Gooch was coach.

    Cade Berryman was Estill's middle school coach and the special teams coach at the high school. Played at Estill. Other than that he has no coaching experience.

    Their was some on the staff that I feel should have gotten an interview. Austin Moore, Russ Swim (not exactly sure if he applied) and maybe one more.

    I'm really excited to see how the spread offense/option whatever coach Marcum brings, works at Estill. He will inherit a Trevor Jones type QB in Ty Niece. Let him sling it over the field or keep it. The double wing was great when you had a line that could block and open up holes but if you don't then you aren't getting anywhere with it so it was time for the ole double wing to go hide for awhile.

    I'm optimistic. I'm willing to give Coach Marcum time to see what he can do. I just hope he stays at Estill for awhile and not just a year or two.
    Probably a good hire coming from a large, competitive program but you may be putting a lot of pressure on Neece comparing him to Jones. Jones was a college level athlete and as quick as anyone around with the football in his hands. If he truly is then Estill will be competitive.

  6. #6
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,029

    Quote Originally Posted by All the Right Moves View Post
    Probably a good hire coming from a large, competitive program but you may be putting a lot of pressure on Neece comparing him to Jones. Jones was a college level athlete and as quick as anyone around with the football in his hands. If he truly is then Estill will be competitive.
    Niece will be a good one. His papaw is Hoover Niece.

  7. #7
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,029

    Coach Marcum is from the Dudley Hilton tree so that should be a big improvement for Estill.

  8. #8
    Straitshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Location
    Nicholas County
    Posts
    121

    I have meet him before during his time as an Assistant at East Jessamine and he seems like a great guy. He coaches track too. Maybe its in Estill's plans to start a track program as well. That would be huge for football I would think.

  9. #9
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,029

    Quote Originally Posted by Straitshooter View Post
    I have meet him before during his time as an Assistant at East Jessamine and he seems like a great guy. He coaches track too. Maybe its in Estill's plans to start a track program as well. That would be huge for football I would think.
    He's gonna help with the track program but I don't think he's gonna be the head coach.

  10. #10
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,029

    Name:  Page13.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  146.0 KB

  11. #11
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,029

    School board is not happy with the hire nor the way it was handled by the Estill super. Could lead to backlash.

  12. #12
    ChiefSmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    US 68
    Posts
    1,589

    Quote Originally Posted by All State Baseball View Post
    Name:  Page13.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  146.0 KB
    I believe Mike was at the Morehead St. Football camp in 1982 with Chris Winkler & Tommy Covey. 3 really good players. The Engineers were very good that season.

    Best wishes to Mike in retirement!

Top