Dynasties By The Numbers

Page 2 of The Mayfield post by @Watusi inspired me to take a look at some other great runs of dominance in Kentucky high school football. Listed alphabetically: ... 96 comments | 15033 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 16
    Posts
    8

    Desales is worth a mention I believe
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    NamecipS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,446

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
    Highlands Bluebirds '60-'70
    112-15-1 (88%)
    5 State Championships
    7 championship game appearances
    25 game winning streak from '60-'62

    Highlands Bluebirds '75-'83
    94-19 (83%)
    4 State Championships
    29 game winning streak from '81-'83
    You're doing a good job, but there's a 7 titles in a row period you're missing

  3. #18
    DevilMayCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    4,174

    St. Xavier Tigers '74-'78
    54-7 (88%)
    3 State Championships

    St. Xavier Tigers '91-'99
    105-20 (84%)
    4 State Championships
    5 championship game appearances

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,340

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpick View Post
    Mayfield from 1976 through 1979 had 3 title appearances winning 2 in a row, also had a 31 game winning streak. Beat then IL #1 and 5A E STL. Lincoln, Memphis Douglas and lost to Nashville Brentwood Academy after which they ripped off their 31 straight. In my opinion, the 77 and 78 teams were the best in Mayfield History. Either 77 or 78 squad was voted as the #1 team in the state regardless of class
    I think it was the 78 team that Lit ranked #1.

    http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com/fb1978state.pdf

    Page 3 of the document.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,340

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    You're doing a good job, but there's a 7 titles in a row period you're missing
    I thought that was in his original post.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,340

    Great thread. The question always becomes when does one streak begin and end. Then another streak begin.

    For example: Boyle had the six year streak from '99 to '04 with 5 straight titles under 2 different QB's.

    But from '05 to '10 wasn't that far off the mark. There were two down years in '06 and '07 but from '08 to '10 the Rebels only lost one game and won two state titles.

    I can see not putting the years together however because Chuck Smith left in '04 and after Pardue's 3 years it was Larry French that put his first three years at Boyle as very memorable.

  7. #22
    DevilMayCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    4,174

    Mayfield Cardinals '76-'78
    37-3 (92%)
    Back to back State Champions in '77 & '78
    3 consecutive championship game appearances
    Finished '78 ranked #1 in the state regardless of class, according to the Litkenhous poll

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,563

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    You're doing a good job, but there's a 7 titles in a row period you're missing
    6 titles, then a runnerup, then another title. He had it in the original post.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,807

    Rockcastle from 1999 to 2006
    Record was 89-19
    2 state runner ups
    numerous region and dist championships and semi final appearances.

    Great run for a county school with population of less than 15,000

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,563

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
    This wasn't intended to be an all time program resume. It's more about periods of dominance when great programs clustered together championships and consistent, deep playoff runs.
    Oh, if that's the case:
    Highlands since playoffs began:
    1959-2015
    604-109 85% 11-2 average record
    23 state championships
    6 runner ups
    29 final appearances in 57 years 51%

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    1,733

    Danville From 2000-2004
    83-11 (2 Forfeits) 3 titles and one Runner-UP ( 4 losses to Boyle Co)

  12. #27
    DevilMayCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    4,174

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    Oh, if that's the case:
    Highlands since playoffs began:
    1959-2015
    604-109 85% 11-2 average record
    23 state championships
    6 runner ups
    29 final appearances in 57 years 51%
    Highlands is basically one, big dynasty. I doubt there are many programs around the country that can match their consistency. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Bluebirds have gone more than five or six years without a title in the playoff era.

  13. #28
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,422

    Anytime a streak of dominance goes over 3 years, that is impressive as it means you have turned over your roster and aren't just winning with one special group of kids. Also I tend to think the earlier streaks are more impressive than the later ones. Dominating when there were 3 or 4 classes just seems tougher than 6 classes.

  14. #29
    DevilMayCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    4,174

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    Great thread. The question always becomes when does one streak begin and end. Then another streak begin.

    For example: Boyle had the six year streak from '99 to '04 with 5 straight titles under 2 different QB's.

    But from '05 to '10 wasn't that far off the mark. There were two down years in '06 and '07 but from '08 to '10 the Rebels only lost one game and won two state titles.

    I can see not putting the years together however because Chuck Smith left in '04 and after Pardue's 3 years it was Larry French that put his first three years at Boyle as very memorable.

    Figuring out where the cutoff point is can be difficult in the case of some programs.

    Danville is a great example. I chose to focus on the '84-'94 run and then cut it off at that point. Six years between titles was too big a gap for me, personally. But, you could certainly make a case for continuing the Admirals run through the mid 2000's. From '84-'06, Danville amassed a record of 270-47 (85%) with 9 state titles and 11 championship game appearances. They averaged 11.7 wins a season for 23 years. Pretty incredible.

  15. #30
    DevilMayCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    4,174

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird View Post
    Anytime a streak of dominance goes over 3 years, that is impressive as it means you have turned over your roster and aren't just winning with one special group of kids. Also I tend to think the earlier streaks are more impressive than the later ones. Dominating when there were 3 or 4 classes just seems tougher than 6 classes.
    I agree on both points, especially the second one. For that reason, Ed Miracle's run at Lynch from '59-'71 is one of the most impressive of them all. Four titles in 13 years might not sound as impressive as what Highlands, Trinity, or Mayfield have accomplished over the decades, but when you consider that Lynch did what they did in the 3 class system, it was a tremendous run. To make the semifinals 10 out of 13 years and reach 8 championship games in an era when only the district champion advanced to the playoffs is an accomplishment that, as far as I'm concerned, rivals anything I've seen in the modern era.

Top