Drinking at Athletic Events

Page 3 of Enough is enough and something must be said. I have taken in many athletic events over the last 50 some years. I have seen my son play and my grandchil... 67 comments | 6570 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Posts
    193

    I don't have a problem with parents tailgating in the parking lot....I enjoy getting to the stadium setting up and cooking three hrs before the game....I also don't have issues with "Adults" drinking beer in a cup as long as it's done discreetly and the beer stays out of the stadium....Im sure I will get some hate on this but I don't think it's much of an issue at the high school level
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    StrongSide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Birds Nest
    Posts
    1,194

    Quote Originally Posted by T-ROCKS42 View Post
    I don't have a problem with parents tailgating in the parking lot....I enjoy getting to the stadium setting up and cooking three hrs before the game....I also don't have issues with "Adults" drinking beer in a cup as long as it's done discreetly and the beer stays out of the stadium....Im sure I will get some hate on this but I don't think it's much of an issue at the high school level
    I agree with this.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by chartman View Post
    Enough is enough and something must be said. I have taken in many athletic events over the last 50 some years. I have seen my son play and my grandchildren take the field. In the last few years I have seen more and more parents and fans bring alcahol to the games. Now my dad was known to drink a pint or so but never at one of my games. This must stop!! What are we teaching our children? What should be done to correct this problem or do you think this is not a problem?

    This reminds me of a story I heard from a few years back.

    A NKY 8th grade basketball coach (and non parent) was drinking with parents immediately before coaching their children in a tournament game. Yes, the coach was drinking with the kids present before coaching them!

    One of the parents didn't like it and challenged the school for the coaches dismissal, an apology, or something to this effect.

    Apparently the school athletic council had no problem with it and supported the coach 100%.

    So the parent pulled his son from the remaining games. He was by far their best player and leading scorer. They lost the rest of their games without him.

    With that said, I support a school or organizations rules. Some post no tailgating signs in their lots so parents gather elsewhere - which I am fine with. If organizations want to sell alcohol to raise money for an organization, I support that.

    Someone referenced Turners. It is a bar, so their rules allow legal age drinking. And they use the proceeds to do great things for kids wanting to play sports! Parents know this when they sign up to play in a Turners league. I fully support this.

    I just hope no one is drinking and driving - especially with their children!!!!!

  4. #34
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    50,846

    Quote Originally Posted by T-ROCKS42 View Post
    I don't have a problem with parents tailgating in the parking lot....I enjoy getting to the stadium setting up and cooking three hrs before the game....I also don't have issues with "Adults" drinking beer in a cup as long as it's done discreetly and the beer stays out of the stadium....Im sure I will get some hate on this but I don't think it's much of an issue at the high school level
    This is how I feel. Keep it in a cup, act like you have some sense and never take it in the stadium.

  5. #35
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    9,648

    Maybe it's because I grew up Catholic and alcohol is at almost all social events and I played in tournaments at places such as Turners. I don't see this as an issue at all I don't look at alcohol as some evil as some of you seem to . If someone acts up kick them out but I have no problem allowing adults to drink adult beverages. Do you think those parents aren't drinking in front their kids at home or family functions?

  6. #36
    thsrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    3,381

    My goodness, do without the alcohol for a couple of hours. As far as I know, it is not sold at any youth football event in Jefferson County. It is most definitely not sold at any high school event. U of L is a different story as 50% of their concessions are alcohol related.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    2,735

    Quote Originally Posted by T-ROCKS42 View Post
    I don't have a problem with parents tailgating in the parking lot....I enjoy getting to the stadium setting up and cooking three hrs before the game....I also don't have issues with "Adults" drinking beer in a cup as long as it's done discreetly and the beer stays out of the stadium....Im sure I will get some hate on this but I don't think it's much of an issue at the high school level
    I'm with ya.

  8. #38
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    7,614

    It doesn't seem to be a problem at Ashland, at least if it is I have never noticed it. For most games there is a tailgate setup in one of the parking lots and there are some drinks consumed in cups there prior to the game along with some great, smoked food. However I've never seen anyone that I would consider drunk or even approaching that level, nor have I ever seen anyone drinking inside the stadium. Whether you have a few drinks at home prior to the game or a few at a tailgate prior to a game and you are responsible about it, I see no issues with it. But obviously it should never be brought into the stadium and I doubt that really happens very often anywhere in the state.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Posts
    128

    I do think it is an issue with our teens. While teenagers have been trying to get alcohol as long as it has been illegal, we do have students who come to games under the influence of alcohol. This is especially true in Jefferson County. Added with the knowledge that after each football game there are numerous Friday night parties where students can get alcoholic beverages--sometimes from parents. Since it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to consume alcoholic beverages, we as adults, should not consume adult beverages in venues that cater to minors--such as high school athletic venues. Just my humble opinion.

  10. #40
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    9,648

    Quote Originally Posted by mwthrasher View Post
    I do think it is an issue with our teens. While teenagers have been trying to get alcohol as long as it has been illegal, we do have students who come to games under the influence of alcohol. This is especially true in Jefferson County. Added with the knowledge that after each football game there are numerous Friday night parties where students can get alcoholic beverages--sometimes from parents. Since it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to consume alcoholic beverages, we as adults, should not consume adult beverages in venues that cater to minors--such as high school athletic venues. Just my humble opinion.
    HS students have been drinking since HS started. Drinking by adults in public isn't changing that.

  11. #41
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    23,976

    Quote Originally Posted by Cfuddy View Post
    Anyone ever watch basketball game at Turners ? Very classic old time club.

    It's basically a cage match with the parents about 15 feet above the court hanging over the baselines.

    6th grade girls league is Friday nights. Things can get very interesting - but my daughter used to love playing there.
    Love Turners....but one game years ago one of the parents got blasted and was positioned right above the North end basket. If you have never been to Turners...its a balcony wrapped around 3/4th of the court and seats all around even behind the basket. He got so mad his son's team was losing he reached over and swatted a shot the opposing team made at one point. We were dying laughing...they booted him immediately. I hope he got a cab and didnt drive !!!

  12. #42
    Cfuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    145

    Yeah - I saw some interesting things down there and I guess I didn't really answer the question at hand - we knew what we were getting into so it didn't really bother me. I think I saw 2 people actually kicked out of the gym area in the 5 years or so we have been going there.

    Younger girls play Sunday afternoons - much different atmosphere than Friday nights.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    281

    I see no issues with tailgating or drinking a few before the game. Now, AT the game is a different story.

  14. #44
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,133

    Quote Originally Posted by Cfuddy View Post
    Anyone ever watch basketball game at Turners ? Very classic old time club.

    It's basically a cage match with the parents about 15 feet above the court hanging over the baselines.

    6th grade girls league is Friday nights. Things can get very interesting - but my daughter used to love playing there.
    Ahhh yes, my old neighborhood. My brother played youth basketball there and I played later in a men's league.

  15. #45
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun--- But Mama, that's where the fun is !!! "
    Posts
    7,803

    Quote Originally Posted by OlDog75 View Post
    Ahhh yes, my old neighborhood. My brother played youth basketball there and I played later in a men's league.
    No doubt !!!

Top