Does anyone travel all over Kentucky to catch different games?

  1. #1
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    41,492

    Does anyone travel all over Kentucky to catch different games?

    I know there are a handful of us in Ohio that not only travel all over Ohio to catch games but we go to different states. 2 of us, that I know of go to several states.

    Is there anyone from Kentucky who does this?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,701

    My father and I do. We've been to games at 105 different stadiums. Our goal is to get to all 222. We try to get somewhere between 5-10 different places each year and never repeat a visit - the playoffs can make for long drives, though!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 18
    Posts
    17

    What is the best game you two have seen?

  4. #4
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    41,492

    Quote Originally Posted by shoella View Post
    What is the best game you two have seen?
    Hard to pick one,but the Male/Trinity state final back in 2002 has to be one of the best I have watched(Trinity 59-56)

  5. #5
    HT721's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,566

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
    Hard to pick one,but the Male/Trinity state final back in 2002 has to be one of the best I have watched(Trinity 59-56)
    That was the first state final game I ever attended, crazy amazing game!

  6. #6
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    41,492

    Last year the game that sticks out to me the most was a 2-0 game with Quaker Valley pulling off a major upset of Aliquippa (PA) I took in four games that day and by far this was the most exciting.

  7. #7
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,701

    Quote Originally Posted by shoella View Post
    What is the best game you two have seen?
    Trinity/Male in 2002 was the best game I've ever seen in person.

    As for games that stand out, not necessarily as the best game, but just as something really memorable:

    -Rockcastle County beating Highlands 45-6 in 2002 was just incredible. It was hard to believe what I was seeing.

    -Russell beating Mason County in 2002 when it came an absolute flood at halftime. I'm not sure I've ever been in a harder rain. @ChiefSmoke can confirm.

    -Underrated game was Christian County beating Warren Central in overtime in the playoffs in 2010. The fire-breathing dragon on the scoreboard was awesome and so was the game.

    -Franklin County's win over Anderson County in 2012 when Ryan Timmons ran the kickoff back for a touchdown at the buzzer.

    -Johnson Central winning 8-7 at Ashland in 2015. One of the hardest hitting games I've seen.

  8. #8
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,701

    Most unique places/memories:

    -Bellevue: Parked at @Lawnboy13's house and walked over. They played Dayton. Looked at the Cincinnati skyline the whole night.

    -Bath County: view from the visitor's bleachers toward the setting sun is gorgeous

    -Central: one of the best places in Kentucky to watch a game. Great atmosphere, great food, great team.

    -Fort Knox: checking into the base was just a maddening example of inefficiency!

    -Fulton City: old and almost finished, but glad I got there. They only had 13 players but they fought hard all night.

    -Highlands: when they had the cannon!

    -Manual: saw St. X/Male there before X got their new stadium.

    -Pineville: probably my favorite small school setting in the state. How you almost drive in over top of the stadium is just perfect.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 08
    Posts
    427

    GCHS was that Russell Mason game in 02 the one that Russell hosted, at Ashland?

  10. #10
    ChiefSmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    US 68
    Posts
    1,623

    Quote Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
    GCHS was that Russell Mason game in 02 the one that Russell hosted, at Ashland?
    He is referring to game 1 @ Russell. They won 12-7. At Putnam for the quarterfinals, Russell won 11-8. Two very tough losses. Only two of the season. The Red Devils were very good in 2002.

  11. #11
    ChiefSmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    US 68
    Posts
    1,623

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Trinity/Male in 2002 was the best game I've ever seen in person.

    As for games that stand out, not necessarily as the best game, but just as something really memorable:

    -Rockcastle County beating Highlands 45-6 in 2002 was just incredible. It was hard to believe what I was seeing.

    -Russell beating Mason County in 2002 when it came an absolute flood at halftime. I'm not sure I've ever been in a harder rain. @ChiefSmoke can confirm.

    -Underrated game was Christian County beating Warren Central in overtime in the playoffs in 2010. The fire-breathing dragon on the scoreboard was awesome and so was the game.

    -Franklin County's win over Anderson County in 2012 when Ryan Timmons ran the kickoff back for a touchdown at the buzzer.

    -Johnson Central winning 8-7 at Ashland in 2015. One of the hardest hitting games I've seen.
    Yes. A downpour. Remember well.

  12. #12
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,701

    Quote Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
    GCHS was that Russell Mason game in 02 the one that Russell hosted, at Ashland?
    Regular season, mid-September. Dad and I went there on Friday then on to a Pittsburgh Pirates game the next Saturday.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Posts
    3

    What if BGP had a reception/convention area at the state championships? Would people show up?

Top