Danville's D'Mauriae VanCleave Adds Offer

  1. #1
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    Danville's D'Mauriae VanCleave Adds Offer

    Danville's D'Mauriae VanCleave has picked up a full scholarship offer from Georgetown College.

    He now holds offers from Georgetown, Lindsey Wilson and Campbellsville.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    charlesw88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Junction City, KY
    Posts
    3,474

    He would be a steal at that level. What college is he leaning toward? Georgetown?

  3. #3
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    Quote Originally Posted by charlesw88 View Post
    He would be a steal at that level. What college is he leaning toward? Georgetown?
    I think he will wait a little and see what kind of offers he has in January. This kid would be a steal in the OVC. I have to think more offers will come. If not, those are three nice NAIA programs

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 08
    Posts
    696

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Danville's D'Mauriae VanCleave has picked up a full scholarship offer from Georgetown College.

    He now holds offers from Georgetown, Lindsey Wilson and Campbellsville.
    He must be something special if they offered him a full ride...only on special occasions do NAIA schools offer players full rides as they are very limited on money. Congratulations to this player...I bet he will get more offers from higher level schools.

  5. #5
    85_Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Boyle Co.
    Posts
    2,290

    I still say he is D1 return guy.

    Still congrats on the offers thus far.

  6. #6
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    44,973

    Quote Originally Posted by Slinging Sammy View Post
    He must be something special if they offered him a full ride...only on special occasions do NAIA schools offer players full rides as they are very limited on money. Congratulations to this player...I bet he will get more offers from higher level schools.
    Again, this is a fallacy. There are many players at Georgetown that have a full scholarship. And, I know for a fact, players I am close to received full, and close to full, scholarships to several NAIA schools.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 08
    Posts
    696

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Again, this is a fallacy. There are many players at Georgetown that have a full scholarship. And, I know for a fact, players I am close to received full, and close to full, scholarships to several NAIA schools.
    Actually you are incorrect...NAIA schools only can offer 24 full scholarships...some NAIA schools carry over 100 players, so yes I am correct to say, if they have a full ride at the NAIA level for football...then they are a special player because it rarely happens. Now NAIA schools will offer partial scholarships and pair it with others...anyway Back to the thread...congratulations to the young man who did receive a full ride offer.

  8. #8
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    44,973

    Quote Originally Posted by Slinging Sammy View Post
    Actually you are incorrect...NAIA schools only can offer 24 full scholarships...some NAIA schools carry over 100 players, so yes I am correct to say, if they have a full ride at the NAIA level for football...then they are a special player because it rarely happens. Now NAIA schools will offer partial scholarships and pair it with others...anyway Back to the thread...congratulations to the young man who did receive a full ride offer.
    I'm trying to dispel the belief that NAIA players can't get a free education, that is often perpetuated. Many players at Georgetown are going to school for free as part of the football team. Yes, they have 24 scholarships. But, there are many at Georgetown that are not paying a dime for their education. We can say some of it is academic money and some of it is athletic money, or how ever you want to frame it, but the bottom line is many receive academic money that would not have received academic money if not for football. My son has an 80% scholarship at Georgetown, he received close to 100% scholarship offers at several other NAIA schools, with one requiring me to pay $207 a year. The fact remains, it's not that uncommon for a player to play at an NAIA school and go to school for free.

  9. #9
    White Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Posts
    79

    Congrats to this young man and his family. It is an honor to receive scholarship offers to play the game you love regardless of what level it is at. NAIA schools are in a unique position to put together excellent financial packages even with fewer scholarships. And for some athletes it can be even more attractive if there is a high likelihood of playing immediately. My son has multiple FCS offers but also has two NAIA offers that are “full” athletic scholarships which means they will pay all tuition related fees. NAIA scholarships will not pay for room and board. If the player has the right grades and ACT scores they can pick up the balance through academic scholarships, grants and if you’re staying in KY KEES money. Again, congrats to this young man and his family. My advice to him is to ignore the noise about “level” of play. Pick the school that is the best fit academically and athletically. If it’s an NAIA with a full scholly then it is what it is. Going into adulthood debt free is a true blessing not realized until you experience it or the opposite.

  10. #10
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    Don't even get me started on student loans. Those are bad words in my house!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 06
    Posts
    1,196

    Quote Originally Posted by Slinging Sammy View Post
    Actually you are incorrect...NAIA schools only can offer 24 full scholarships...some NAIA schools carry over 100 players, so yes I am correct to say, if they have a full ride at the NAIA level for football...then they are a special player because it rarely happens. Now NAIA schools will offer partial scholarships and pair it with others...anyway Back to the thread...congratulations to the young man who did receive a full ride offer.
    A "full ride" has nothing to do with a full athletic scholarship. I have had 22 athletes in 15 years get "full rides" to NAIA schools. When they combine academic, athletic, grants, and special scholarship money tons of NAIA kids get "full rides". So, you don't have to be all that "special" to get a free education if you have done everything else off the field to get it.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 08
    Posts
    696

    I agree that there are a lot of student athletes who get a combination of different scholarships, grants and such that equal a full ride...however the point of my original statement was based off of what stated in the original post. The young man got an offer of a full scholarship to play football at the NAIA level...very rarely does that happen. I think you know that better than most.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    407

    Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
    Congrats to this young man and his family. It is an honor to receive scholarship offers to play the game you love regardless of what level it is at. NAIA schools are in a unique position to put together excellent financial packages even with fewer scholarships. And for some athletes it can be even more attractive if there is a high likelihood of playing immediately. My son has multiple FCS offers but also has two NAIA offers that are “full” athletic scholarships which means they will pay all tuition related fees. NAIA scholarships will not pay for room and board. If the player has the right grades and ACT scores they can pick up the balance through academic scholarships, grants and if you’re staying in KY KEES money. Again, congrats to this young man and his family. My advice to him is to ignore the noise about “level” of play. Pick the school that is the best fit academically and athletically. If it’s an NAIA with a full scholly then it is what it is. Going into adulthood debt free is a true blessing not realized until you experience it or the opposite.
    Thank you. I showed this to my soon to be senior who has the "D-1 or bust" attitude. He's changed a bit, but.............

  14. #14
    Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Titletown USA
    Posts
    7,307

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    I'm trying to dispel the belief that NAIA players can't get a free education, that is often perpetuated. Many players at Georgetown are going to school for free as part of the football team. Yes, they have 24 scholarships. But, there are many at Georgetown that are not paying a dime for their education. We can say some of it is academic money and some of it is athletic money, or how ever you want to frame it, but the bottom line is many receive academic money that would not have received academic money if not for football. My son has an 80% scholarship at Georgetown, he received close to 100% scholarship offers at several other NAIA schools, with one requiring me to pay $207 a year. The fact remains, it's not that uncommon for a player to play at an NAIA school and go to school for free.
    I agree . My son went to Lindsey Wilson College and the only thing he had to pay was for his books. Everything else was paid for. He got academic money along with athletic money for cross country and track. For me, all I cared about was what was his cost. For a family of 6 this was huge to me!

    With 4 kids and paying for 2 daughters that got diploma's from WKU and EKU this was huge for me. I have a special place in my heart for LWC and NAIA schools for what they have done for me and my family.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    407

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I agree . My son went to Lindsey Wilson College and the only thing he had to pay was for his books. Everything else was paid for. He got academic money along with athletic money for cross country and track. For me, all I cared about was what was his cost. For a family of 6 this was huge to me!

    With 4 kids and paying for 2 daughters that got diploma's from WKU and EKU this was huge for me. I have a special place in my heart for LWC and NAIA schools for what they have done for me and my family.
    Academic, athletic, whatever money for school is money for school. I have one in school that plays at being a student, a junior that thinks he's the best thing since Deshaun Watson and he's going to play D-1 football on scholarship or (help me Lord) as a walk on, and a Freshman in high school that wants to go to Columbia and then to med school. I am so thankful that she's pushing straight A's and complaining that she's not studying enough and half way descent at volleyball. My point is money is money, the name that goes with it (full ride, academic scholarship, pell grant, keys money) doesn't matter. You with 6 kids, I will pray for you.

Top