D-1 player born or made

Page 9 of Originally Posted by Mustang75 My question is. Is a D1 full schorlship played born or made with hard work? Are the phyiscal skill needed to play at tha... 141 comments | 5396 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    It is their job, and it is negligent not to do so...
    Then if that is the case, there are a lot of coaches not doing their jobs. I don't think they were hired as a college placement coordinator.

    So where does it end then in your mind? Are they responsible to find a place for every one of their players that wants to play at the next level? If not, then why not?
    Advertisement

  2. #122
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,472

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Never said Bob Beaty doesn't do that, what we are saying is every coach doesn't do that.

    Let me ask you a question. If a coach has a player that is maybe a tweener, maybe not DI caliber but possibly DII or NAIA or even DIII and would be a very good player at any or all of those levels, is it his responsibility to also contact those schools? What if a kid really wants to play at the next level and not at the DI level because he knows he doesn't fit the DI mold but he is a very good player, is it the coaches job to find him a college to play at? The answer is no.
    If he has connections that can help the kid, he is absolutely responsible to the kid and his family to help the process. That comes with the job. If the coach isn't there to help his players, what good is he. Easy answer by the way...

  3. #123
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,472

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Then if that is the case, there are a lot of coaches not doing their jobs. I don't think they were hired as a college placement coordinator.

    So where does it end then in your mind? Are they responsible to find a place for every one of their players that wants to play at the next level? If not, then why not?

    Who said find a place? Just you and your obsessive need to take things out of context to fit your point.

    Yes, part of being a high school coach is doing whatever you can to help your players in the recruiting process. And that means all of them that have the desire to continue playing at any college level. Not doing so is neglecting part of the job, and if I was the AD of a school whose coach refused to do so, I'd be looking for a new coach...

  4. #124
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,472

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    The problem. Some HS coaches don't know what level kids can play at. Think about this. If the HS coach played at a lower level and so did all the staff and they never had a kid offered D1. How are they going to know?
    So now we are giving passes for being stupid? This isn't rocket science...

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    So now we are giving passes for being stupid? This isn't rocket science...
    Not a pass. That is what happened. So I took it upon myself to get the notice. That's all. It wasn't hard.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Who said find a place? Just you and your obsessive need to take things out of context to fit your point.

    Yes, part of being a high school coach is doing whatever you can to help your players in the recruiting process. And that means all of them that have the desire to continue playing at any college level. Not doing so is neglecting part of the job, and if I was the AD of a school whose coach refused to do so, I'd be looking for a new coach...
    I feel that it's not their job to do this. They should. It only helps the program. Some don't help much.

  7. #127
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,472

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    Not a pass. That is what happened. So I took it open myself to get the notice. That's all. It wasn't hard.
    There is a difference in not knowing how to help and refusing to help as apparently a lot of coaches do. Hopefully your coach used it as a learning experience for the next kid that comes along...

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Who said find a place? Just you and your obsessive need to take things out of context to fit your point.

    Yes, part of being a high school coach is doing whatever you can to help your players in the recruiting process. And that means all of them that have the desire to continue playing at any college level. Not doing so is neglecting part of the job, and if I was the AD of a school whose coach refused to do so, I'd be looking for a new coach...
    There are many schools that the AD is also the Football coach and they have enough to do already with all their responsibilities. What many do do however is post about camps etc. that are going on inthe area so their players are made aware of them so they can attend if they like.

    Sorry, but High School coaching isn't what you think it is. It is foremost the responsibility of the player and players family to get him out there in front of college coaches. Sure in a perfect world a High School coach would dedicate his entire life to coaching football and getting his players noticed by coaches at the next level, but that just isn't the case.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    There is a difference in not knowing how to help and refusing to help as apparently a lot of coaches do. Hopefully your coach used it as a learning experience for the next kid that comes along...
    I hope so also. I was asked by other parents to HELP their son. I know I got eyes on kids from schools that had no idea where NKY was!

  10. #130
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,472


  11. #131

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Gametime, Let me ask you a question, this is a serious question simply because I don't know what you do. You said you are a recruiter. Is it Football or Baseball you recruit for? The reason I ask is because it is very different. Also, are you a recruiter for a specific college or are you more of a local or regional scout that sends your reports to several colleges etc.?

  12. #132
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,472

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Gametime, Let me ask you a question, I'm this is a serious question simply because I don't know what you do. You said you are a recruiter. Is it Football or Baseball you recruit for? The reason I ask is because it is very different. Also, are you a recruiter for a specific college or are you more of a local or regional scout that sends your reports to several colleges etc.?
    I own the Cincinnati 247 site and cover recruiting of mostly basketball with football mixed in when needed. Most of my work is covering Cincinnati, but over 8 years being on the road covering and scouting events I have developed a solid network of friends in the coaching business in both sports that spreads across the east coast, south and Midwest. If I see a guy that I evaluate as a good fit for one of those guys I make a call and put the kid on their radar.

    Coaches talk to guys like me all the time, which is why in this day and age of information there are very few that go totally unnoticed. That goes for both sports and I have lived it first hand...

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    I own the Cincinnati 247 site and cover recruiting of mostly basketball with football mixed in when needed. Most of my work is covering Cincinnati, but over 8 years being on the road covering and scouting events I have developed a solid network of friends in the coaching business in both sports that spreads across the east coast, south and Midwest. If I see a guy that I evaluate as a good fit for one of those guys I make a call and put the kid on their radar.

    Coaches talk to guys like me all the time, which is why in this day and age of information there are very few that go totally unnoticed. That goes for both sports and I have lived it first hand...
    I do believe very few slip under the radar. Like I said. For me it was easy. I sent out tape and got tons of responses. I think most of that is the fact my son fit the mold height weight and had great film. Word does get around one offer turned into to Muti quickly.

  14. #134

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    I think the big thing is to see the difference between a look and real intrest. So many times we get so and so is coming to look at a player. Well that's just a look. Most good players will get a look. That is light years from a solid offer. I will say this over and over. Your not a recuit until you have an offer.

  15. #135

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Look at it this way. My son was offered by schools that had never ask him to come to a JR day. Schools that never ask him to come to camp. Why would they offer him and not a kid that came to the JR day and Muti camps they held over the last two years? WKU came to school the day before Signing day offer a PWO spot and told he was in a good position to get a schorlship down the road. He had never been to a camp or was asked to a JR day.

Top