D-1 player born or made

Page 4 of Originally Posted by Mustang75 My question is. Is a D1 full schorlship played born or made with hard work? Are the phyiscal skill needed to play at tha... 141 comments | 5396 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    Here's a link pertinent to the discussion regarding Div I measurables:

    https://www.gobigrecruiting.com/recr...nes/linebacker

    It provides a breakdown from Div I-III at each position...
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    842

    I do agree with those that say HS sports are becoming less and less relevant on the recruiting front. In baseball, get your kid in the best organization in the summer they can play for, and travel. In football, it's camps. Hoops it's the AAU circuit. All these give coaches an opportunity to see Jr. Vs kids with like skills and size. I watched a highly recruited kid the other night go 0-3 in HS baseball vs a kid chucking it up there at about 73. Heard some saying he was not as advertised. My comment to them was it didn't matter, after HS kid will never see that again. Later is same day watched him hit three ropes of kid committed to Ohio State, 88 mph. HS just matters very little anymore.

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    That guard is the first in what 25 30 yeas to go D1?? Not the norm. You like to point out not the norm. How did your friend get noticed? Why didn't you take notes?? agian your friend was born tall and strong. If a D3 kid is outstanding. He will be offered at the D1 level. Ever kid on a D1 roster is all everything. Big fast or has size. Not saying the 1% can't be missed. But kids are not playing D3 beacuse they are being missed. Just not true.
    You are wrong, sorry, but every kid playing DIII isn't there because they aren't DI caliber. My friend got noticed, just as I said by attending camps and combines, a lot of them, long before he even started a varsity game. That was my point all along. Very few DI players go DI without exposure outside of Friday Night games. If you want to believe that recruiters and coaches from DI schools go around the country and just pop in at random schools every week to catch a game and that is how they find their players, then you are sorely mistaken. It just doesn't happen that way anymore. Are you telling me that South Carolina coaches just decided to show up at Conner High School on a Friday night to watch a football game and discovered Drew Barker? Sorry, they were well aware of him before they even showed up on campus in Hebron. That is how it is for 90% of the DI players.

    Now I think you misunderstand me if you think I'm saying players that don't have the DI size and speed should be playing DI, I never once said that, what I did say is there are those with DI size and speed that never get a sniff and it is mostly because they didn't attend camps etc. to get noticed in the first place. It happens a lot more than you think.

  4. #49
    The sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Near the Bearcat Den
    Posts
    1,861

    Both. The more lacking in one area the more you have to have in another. I seen kids with D-1 god given ability but no desire to work to hard.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    You are wrong, sorry, but every kid playing DIII isn't there because they aren't DI caliber. My friend got noticed, just as I said by attending camps and combines, a lot of them, long before he even started a varsity game. That was my point all along. Very few DI players go DI without exposure outside of Friday Night games. If you want to believe that recruiters and coaches from DI schools go around the country and just pop in at random schools every week to catch a game and that is how they find their players, then you are sorely mistaken. It just doesn't happen that way anymore. Are you telling me that South Carolina coaches just decided to show up at Conner High School on a Friday night to watch a football game and discovered Drew Barker? Sorry, they were well aware of him before they even showed up on campus in Hebron. That is how it is for 90% of the DI players.

    Now I think you misunderstand me if you think I'm saying players that don't have the DI size and speed should be playing DI, I never once said that, what I did say is there are those with DI size and speed that never get a sniff and it is mostly because they didn't attend camps etc. to get noticed in the first place. It happens a lot more than you think.
    What precentage of D3 players should be playing at the D1 level? 50% 25% 5%?

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    What precentage of D3 players should be playing at the D1 level? 50% 25% 5%?
    I have no idea, and that's not what this is about. I was just telling you that there are DIII kids who are better than some DI players but never get a look from DI period, and they have the skill and size to play at that level. You are under the assumption that every DI coach has a list of every single kid who plays High School football and knows about all of them.

    There are also kids at DIII that don't have the DI size and speed that are better than many DI players and that is a fact also. I was just telling you that every kid who plays HS football is not on every DI coaches radar and unless they get the exposure at camps.combines etc. it doesn't matter how good you are the chances of going DI are slim and it has almost everything to do with exposure.

    You seem to ignore the facts I have presented you. Explain to me what got Drew Barker DI looks and Lex Sowards etec. before either of them even started a game at the varsity level? That is what I've been saying all along.

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Posts
    150

    The college coaches look at as you can teach the game to someone who has the physical attributes. It doesn't exactly work the other way around. You can't teach physical attributes to someone who knows the game.

    All coaches believe in their teaching ability so they believe that no matter the level of player they can teach them. They just need to fit the size requirements.
    Speed on the other hand can somewhat be developed. Not fully but can be enhanced. So to me it all goes back to size requirements.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,371

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    All the desire in the wold won't make up for small size to slow!! That's a fact at that level.
    Read post # 2

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    I have no idea, and that's not what this is about. I was just telling you that there are DIII kids who are better than some DI players but never get a look from DI period, and they have the skill and size to play at that level. You are under the assumption that every DI coach has a list of every single kid who plays High School football and knows about all of them.

    There are also kids at DIII that don't have the DI size and speed that are better than many DI players and that is a fact also. I was just telling you that every kid who plays HS football is not on every DI coaches radar and unless they get the exposure at camps.combines etc. it doesn't matter how good you are the chances of going DI are slim and it has almost everything to do with exposure.

    You seem to ignore the facts I have presented you. Explain to me what got Drew Barker DI looks and Lex Sowards etec. before either of them even started a game at the varsity level? That is what I've been saying all along.
    Ok, some are better. I'm sure a low number could play at the higher level.

    Being a D-1 player has almost everything to do with exposure? A kid could have lots of exposure and not fit the mold and never get an offer. I'm just not buying that D-3 is a bunch of underexposed D-1 kids.

    Drew and Lex went to camps, but so do 1000s of kids that never get offers. Marketing a slow short kid wont get an offer no matter how well its done..

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    Ok, some are better. I'm sure a low number could play at the higher level.

    Being a D-1 player has almost everything to do with exposure? A kid could have lots of exposure and not fit the mold and never get an offer. I'm just not buying that D-3 is a bunch of underexposed D-1 kids.

    Drew and Lex went to camps, but so do 1000s of kids that never get offers. Marketing a slow short kid wont get an offer no matter how well its done..
    You have missed the point again I was making.

    Of course you have to be able to play at that level which includes the measurables (size and speed etc). I never said anything different. What I was saying is you still need the exposure. Camps combines etc.

    there are kids who don't go DI who have the measurables but simply don't have the exposure. That is all Ive been saying this entire time and I read from you that you think everyone is known to all college coaches even if they don't go to camps etc. that is just not true.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    Doesn't matter how big your heart is if you run a 5.0 while the other guy is running a 4.5. Doesn't matter if that other guy has no idea how to play that position. All about size and speed.

    Exceptions? sure. Watch Rudy. He worked his tail off and got 2 snaps.

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ram View Post
    It is a combination. You are either born coordinated or you are not born coordinated. That is obvious. If you are coordinated, I believe, you can make yourself an athlete. An athlete CAN be born, however, they are not all that common. The athlete that works their tails off in the weight room, on the filed, and in the classroom is the athlete that gets noticed because he gets exposure. The athlete that relies solely on their talent and does not go to camps most likely will not be seen. These days, more and more coaches are looking at camps and combines more than they ever have. These camps and combines give the coaches an opportunity to see that "athlete" go up against other "athletes".

    You can go D1 even if you don't have the size, IMHO. The problem that comes with that is that you have to leave no doubt that you are better than the player ahead of you that is taller. Coaches want tall OL, tall WR, tall DB, and tall QB. They want that and yes, that is in your genes, however; if you a 6'0 OL and you leave no doubt that you are better than the OL that is 6'5 ahead of you, the coach will play you BECAUSE THEY WANT TO WIN. Their job is to win football games and of the 6'0 OL is doing better than the 6'5 OL, the coach will play him. The coach will put the best 11 on the field that gives them the best chance of winning the game. Period. No "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about it.

    Athletes can be made. They can be born. An athlete will not be athlete if he doesn't work. I dont care what you say to convince me otherwise. An "athlete" to me is some one who does whatever they can do to better. When you hear of an athlete, you don't hear of a lazy athlete. You hear of a working athlete-only because they put themselves in to position to be recognized.

    You are born with size. No one can change that. But every thing else is justified by the athlete's desire to get better. Plain and simple. I am a firm believer that you can coach speed. It's very hard to get faster, but you can get faster. I've witnessed it myself along with doing it myself.
    You can get faster. But there is a limit to that. A slow guy doent turn into a very fast guy. There is a genetic limit. You can get stronger but a genetic limit to that also. Im just saying the 1% have genetic gifts that are God given.

  13. #58
    Little Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 13
    Location
    Georgetown, KY; Raceland, KY
    Posts
    1,070

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    You can get faster. But there is a limit to that. A slow guy doent turn into a very fast guy. There is a genetic limit. You can get stronger but a genetic limit to that also. Im just saying the 1% have genetic gifts that are God given.
    I disagree with being born an athlete is all genetic. There is a slight possibility that you can be born an athlete but an athlete is not an athlete without working to become one. An athlete is not an athlete because he or she was born that way. They worked to be that fast and worked to be that strong. I also disagree with your statement about there being a limit to as to how strong you can be. You can always become stronger.

    What comes to concern with this topic is the question of what you believe the definition of an athlete is.

    Being born an athlete is a million dollar topic. There is a lot of science behind the topic. I think it is absurd to say you were born an athlete. One can be born with the ability to run or the ability to not run. One can be born coordinated or not coordinated. Your strength is determined by multiple genes. A human being inherits one gene from your father and one from your mother but only one of those are expressed. So there is a lot of biological science behind being born an athlete or not.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Union, Ky. Up on top the pressbox @ Ryle football games.
    Posts
    5,323

    Tallness and some speed with a good frame is god given. Strength, technique and some speed can be worked on with a lot of heart and desire. You can build a house if god has layed the foundation.

  15. #60

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    28

    Majority of the Division 1 football players you see today are naturally blessed with their speed, strength, and ability to play the game. But, you cannot make it if you don't put in the fourth and effort to better and prepare yourself. Yes, people may be naturally strong and fast, but that doesn't last forever if you don't maintain yourself through out your career. For example, in Mason,Ohio there is an athletic performance group called Ignition APG. This is a top notch training program that is designed for specific sport specific athletes looking to make gains on there wooed, strength, agility, etc... The downfall to using these type of places to get better may sometimes cost you an arm and a leg, but if your son is a well disciplined individual, and stays on the right track in school, not hanging out with the wrong crowd, doing the work that needs to be done..... The possibility of being successful and making it to the next level will be much greater. It's very sad to see great athletes throw it all away by making dumb decisions, after putting in all the time and work into their game, and getting the opportunity to play at the next level.

Top