D-1 player born or made

Page 10 of Originally Posted by Mustang75 My question is. Is a D1 full schorlship played born or made with hard work? Are the phyiscal skill needed to play at tha... 141 comments | 5396 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #136

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    I own the Cincinnati 247 site and cover recruiting of mostly basketball with football mixed in when needed. Most of my work is covering Cincinnati, but over 8 years being on the road covering and scouting events I have developed a solid network of friends in the coaching business in both sports that spreads across the east coast, south and Midwest. If I see a guy that I evaluate as a good fit for one of those guys I make a call and put the kid on their radar.

    Coaches talk to guys like me all the time, which is why in this day and age of information there are very few that go totally unnoticed. That goes for both sports and I have lived it first hand...
    Thanks for answering the question. With that said, you are the one who finds players and contacts coaches at the next level about the kids you see etc. Yet you see first hand then in NKY especially that coaches are not attending a lot of games on Friday nights etc. and one reason of course is because they have their own season going on but another is because unless they are made aware of a player then they have no reason to send anyone to the games. That is why exposure is so important, you are even on the side of helping to get kids exposure so why are you acting as if kids don't slip through the cracks? I do understand it would be shooting yourself in the foot if you admitted to just that because that is your livelihood. I accept that, but I am here to tell you that not all High School coaches go about making films on their players and sending them out to colleges etc. unless they are asked to do so by the college coaches and scouts. It just doesn't happen. Do I wish it would happen? Heck yes!!! The fact is, it doesn't happen everywhere and I'd be willing to bet that the coaches that do that are in the minority.

    It is great that you can spot a kid and with your contacts get him on some coaches radar. I wish there were more of you out there to do that, unfortunately there aren't enough.

    We had a parent meeting with the coaches before the season every year while my son was playing HS ball and a couple years ago this very subject was part of the meeting. I hope Mr Sixer doesn't mind me bragging on his behalf, but he actually took on this topic to educate the parents of how the process worked and one of the things that was stressed was it is not the coaches responsibility to get little Johnny to the next level. It was the responsibility of the parents and player himself and he showed the steps that need to be taken to do just that. It wasn't the coaches job nor responsibility to get johnny out there to all the coaches at the next level, but the coach also would do what he could if the parents and Johnny told him that he wanted to play at the next level. He would then talk to the coaches that call his office etc. about the kid, but he wasn't sending out films or driving the kids to camps etc.

    It was a great presentation he put on and he knew first hand as he had several of his boys go on to play at the next level at various different levels. It was eye opening because many of the parents were of the idea that once their kid got to High School it was going to be like in the movies where DI coaches are showing up at practices watching and there in the stands on Friday Nights etc. and they come looking for you and not the other way around. There are some great threads on this site about how to get to the next level and they all are full of great information from those that have already experienced it first hand.
    Advertisement

  2. #137

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Thanks for answering the question. With that said, you are the one who finds players and contacts coaches at the next level about the kids you see etc. Yet you see first hand then in NKY especially that coaches are not attending a lot of games on Friday nights etc. and one reason of course is because they have their own season going on but another is because unless they are made aware of a player then they have no reason to send anyone to the games. That is why exposure is so important, you are even on the side of helping to get kids exposure so why are you acting as if kids don't slip through the cracks? I do understand it would be shooting yourself in the foot if you admitted to just that because that is your livelihood. I accept that, but I am here to tell you that not all High School coaches go about making films on their players and sending them out to colleges etc. unless they are asked to do so by the college coaches and scouts. It just doesn't happen. Do I wish it would happen? Heck yes!!! The fact is, it doesn't happen everywhere and I'd be willing to bet that the coaches that do that are in the minority.

    It is great that you can spot a kid and with your contacts get him on some coaches radar. I wish there were more of you out there to do that, unfortunately there aren't enough.

    We had a parent meeting with the coaches before the season every year while my son was playing HS ball and a couple years ago this very subject was part of the meeting. I hope Mr Sixer doesn't mind me bragging on his behalf, but he actually took on this topic to educate the parents of how the process worked and one of the things that was stressed was it is not the coaches responsibility to get little Johnny to the next level. It was the responsibility of the parents and player himself and he showed the steps that need to be taken to do just that. It wasn't the coaches job nor responsibility to get johnny out there to all the coaches at the next level, but the coach also would do what he could if the parents and Johnny told him that he wanted to play at the next level. He would then talk to the coaches that call his office etc. about the kid, but he wasn't sending out films or driving the kids to camps etc.

    It was a great presentation he put on and he knew first hand as he had several of his boys go on to play at the next level at various different levels. It was eye opening because many of the parents were of the idea that once their kid got to High School it was going to be like in the movies where DI coaches are showing up at practices watching and there in the stands on Friday Nights etc. and they come looking for you and not the other way around. There are some great threads on this site about how to get to the next level and they all are full of great information from those that have already experienced it first hand.
    I would like to see more kids from NKY get free rides. I have posted what I did. some on BGPs think isn't not good info. So I no longer do I want to post what I did to help my player. I also called yahoo sports and other recuirting rating services. Ask them to look at the film and rate him. They did. It's not hard to do.

  3. #138

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    I would like to see more kids from NKY get free rides. I have posted what I did. some on BGPs think isn't not good info. So I no longer want to post what I did to help my player. I also called yahoo sports and other recuirting rating services. Ask them to look at the film and rate him. They did. It's not hard to do.
    I'm with you, unfortunately it is something that is left on the shoulders of the players and parents and many of them don't realize that.

  4. #139

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    I'm with you, unfortunately it is something that is left on the shoulders of the players and parents and many of them don't realize that.
    Yes that is true. I got from the HC. I have a school calling me saying they offered your son. How? I didn't make the film and I don't know them. I have never had a player offered before. I knew I was on my own at that point. I hope that now the HC has some contacts that he never did in the past. Maybe those schools will call him every year to find out if he has someone. I feel I may have helped the program in that way.

  5. #140

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    I feel my sons HC did his job by putting my son in the right spot. I did the marketing of him. Now I started out like most asking him to help. I feel he didn't think he could play at that level. That changed with offers rolling in. I knew his view wasn't the only one. Who do you trust to know more about recuirting? A HS coach with 0 kids ever offered or a D1 staff that gets paid to find players. You have to do the leg work. You have to answer that question by sending out film and camps.

  6. #141
    Little Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 13
    Location
    Georgetown, KY; Raceland, KY
    Posts
    1,070

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Who said find a place? Just you and your obsessive need to take things out of context to fit your point.

    Yes, part of being a high school coach is doing whatever you can to help your players in the recruiting process. And that means all of them that have the desire to continue playing at any college level. Not doing so is neglecting part of the job, and if I was the AD of a school whose coach refused to do so, I'd be looking for a new coach...
    I don't think the AD will be firing anyone who is winning 11 games a year. A high school coaches job is to win HIGH SCHOOL games. If he had to do the same stuff that you do, he wouldn't be a high school coach.

    After reading further, it seems like you know basketball more than football. That's fine because I rarely discuss basketball on here. Football is different. The recruiting process is long and drawn out, as you already know. It definitely is not an easy process. However, exposure is the most important key in recruiting. No ifs, ands, or butts. It goes hand and hand with on-field performance. There is no way around exposure. It is the obvious key. I'm sorry.

  7. #142

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ram View Post
    I don't think the AD will be firing anyone who is winning 11 games a year. A high school coaches job is to win HIGH SCHOOL games. If he had to do the same stuff that you do, he wouldn't be a high school coach.

    After reading further, it seems like you know basketball more than football. That's fine because I rarely discuss basketball on here. Football is different. The recruiting process is long and drawn out, as you already know. It definitely is not an easy process. However, exposure is the most important key in recruiting. No ifs, ands, or butts. It goes hand and hand with on-field performance. There is no way around exposure. It is the obvious key. I'm sorry.
    The height of players makes a big difference. A 6'5 center will never get a D1 offer. No matter how good he is or the exposure. So it's a combo of God given things height speed size and exposure. A 6'10 kid that is half the player will get the offer over the shorter better player. No ifs and or butts about that.

    Same with football. A 5'10 O limeman doesn't get offers. All the exposure in the world won't change that. A slow RB won't get offers. Marketing won't change the fact your short or slow. If that was the case D1 would be filled with short centers and short O lineman.

Top