Covington Catholic 2018

  1. #1
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    43,750

    Covington Catholic 2018

    What does Covington Catholic need to do to improve in 2018? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,319

    edit

  3. #3
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    267

    Keep keep'n on.... Colonels will be really really good. QB is the only mystery.

    They'll have an experienced OLine, Senior 3-year starting RB, two D1 studs in Mayer and Coldiron, and a great D. The QB play will have time to develop over the season and very little pressure to carry the team. The senior to be QB is a really good defensive player. Unless the senior is far and away better I look for Eddie to pull the senior to somewhere on the defensive side and groom the younger QB with studs all around him.

    Cov Cath should be the front runner to win state.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    236

    Should be a very good team and win 5A.

  5. #5
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,458

    The question for me is how good will they be? Yes there is talent returning but the talent they lost is not going to be replaced with equal level. The QB is not going to be nearly as good as AJ Mayer. Cam Butler is not going to be replaced. They lose other studs on defense that are not easily replaced. EvIston is an excellent coach with a great offensive scheme. There is no doubt CCH will be top notch but I have a hard time handing them the 5A title and am not sure they are the hands-down favorite in 5A.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    236

    They have 3 qbs the Senior has a college offer and two underclassmen have potential to be studs.

  7. #7
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,458

    Quote Originally Posted by CollegefootballGuy69 View Post
    They have 3 qbs the Senior has a college offer and two underclassmen have potential to be studs.
    Do you think any of them will be as good as AJ Mayer?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    5,835

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Do you think any of them will be as good as AJ Mayer?
    No. Reason I think they will still be a very solid and experienced team, but you are replacing a legit Division 1 QB. They will rely on their run game early and hope that one of the QB's can step to the forefront and improves steadily as the season progresses.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    236

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Do you think any of them will be as good as AJ Mayer?
    No not at all. But I think they will do a good job running the offense.

  10. #10
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    267

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Do you think any of them will be as good as AJ Mayer?
    The thing is they could probably get through their schedule without attempting a pass. OLine will be for real and they'll have the best RB in northern Kentucky. And then when they do pass there are experienced monsters receiving the ball.

  11. #11
    The Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    66

    I like seeing the positive talk for the Covington Catholic football program, but the talk about them being the favorite team to win 5A in 2018 seems off base to me. Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope that they do, but after losing quarterback AJ Mayer, defensive back/receiver Malachi Pike, linebacker/tight end Kam Butler, linebacker/fullback grant Dyer (among others) we are going to have a lot of very important roles to replace. We relied heavily on all of those players, with all but AJ getting significant playing time on both sides of the ball for the last 2 or 3 years, so it will be a tall order to find suitable replacements for all of those jobs.

    Fortunately, we have a depth of talent and are very well coached, but the fact is, we just won't be replacing all of that talent - much of it D1 caliber talent - with the same level of talent.

  12. #12
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    267

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    I like seeing the positive talk for the Covington Catholic football program, but the talk about them being the favorite team to win 5A in 2018 seems off base to me. Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope that they do, but after losing quarterback AJ Mayer, defensive back/receiver Malachi Pike, linebacker/tight end Kam Butler, linebacker/fullback grant Dyer (among others) we are going to have a lot of very important roles to replace. We relied heavily on all of those players, with all but AJ getting significant playing time on both sides of the ball for the last 2 or 3 years, so it will be a tall order to find suitable replacements for all of those jobs.

    Fortunately, we have a depth of talent and are very well coached, but the fact is, we just won't be replacing all of that talent - much of it D1 caliber talent - with the same level of talent.
    No question 2018 Cov Cath will not be as good as 2017 Cov Cath.
    I just don't think there will be anyone better in 5A. Bowling Green has talent, but is coming off of a disappointing year and a coaching change. Who would you say is the favorite?

  13. #13
    The Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    66

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    No. Reason I think they will still be a very solid and experienced team, but you are replacing a legit Division 1 QB. They will rely on their run game early and hope that one of the QB's can step to the forefront and improves steadily as the season progresses.
    Coach Eviston's nephew is going to end up as their starting QB, and rightly so.

    Tyler Reusch is a solid football player, but his passing game is weak, so it would be counterintuitive for CCH's offensive DNA to put him in and cripple our ability to pass the ball to Coldiron, Coburn, Summe and Mayer.

  14. #14
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    267

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    Coach Eviston's nephew is going to end up as their starting QB, and rightly so.

    Tyler Reusch is a solid football player, but his passing game is weak, so it would be counterintuitive for CCH's offensive DNA to put him in and cripple our ability to pass the ball to Coldiron, Coburn, Summe and Mayer.
    Is that the sophomore QB? Eddie also understands what it means to a program to start a QB multiple years.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,048

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    Is that the sophomore QB? Eddie also understands what it means to a program to start a QB multiple years.
    Yes

Top