Page 14 of Final... 415 comments | 23282 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #261
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #crownforcowboy
    Posts
    4,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    What was all of the booing about from the Collins faithful?
    The KHSAA mafia field generals wouldn't let the Gatorade plunge on Collins head coach on the field of play.

  2. #262
    Premium Member John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Urban Renewal
    Posts
    12,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    I have read all 13 pages now and we know 3 facts for sure. 1)Highlands Lost 2)Collins was better than Highlands today 3)BGP's 3rd grader will be very disappointed again in 2014
    What is Houlistons legacy? He threw a beautiful ball, good luck to him.

  3. #263
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    5,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The play-calling at the end of the game would be talked about in Shelby County for a LONG time had they not won.
    Very true.

  4. #264
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    North Carolina, but crazy about Ft. Thomas Highlands! Visit my Highlands website at www.Highlands-Bluebirds.com!
    Posts
    6,937
    He was a great QB, that's for sure. The thing that stuck out to me regarding HHS this year is that they had an explosive offense headed up by Houliston and Harris, but that their defense struggled at times. If you go back to even early in the season, HHS gave up something like 44 points to Bryan Station while scoring in the 60s, and of course we saw what had happened in the WC and LC games late in the year.

  5. #265
    Miller Lite Ice Guy
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Whackem'n'Stackem' View Post
    I congratulated Collins as did many other Highlands fans, but I'll never say that Collins was a better football team than the Bluebirds. Period. Enjoy the gift, IMO.
    That's Ok the scoreboard is saying it for you.

  6. #266
    Moderator JokersWild24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    10,057
    Quote Originally Posted by tdyballgame View Post
    The KHSAA mafia field generals wouldn't let the Gatorade plunge on Collins head coach on the field of play.
    Kind of understandable when there's another game to be played in very cold weather though don't you think?
    Bluto likes this.

  7. #267
    Premium Member uk#1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    13,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    I have read all 13 pages now and we know 3 facts for sure.

    1)Highlands Lost
    2)Collins was better than Highlands today
    3)BGP's 3rd grader will be very disappointed again in 2014
    Enjoy your blue baked crow!

  8. #268
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The play-calling at the end of the game would be talked about in Shelby County for a LONG time had they not won.
    I agree. The clock management was terrible. At the same time, had they scored with 30 seconds left instead of 7, Highlands could have very well retook the lead. Collins D didn't have an answer for Highlands O anymore than the other way around. During the end of the game when Highlands retook the lead at the 2:33 mark. I said then, they scored too quickly and felt Collins had a great chance to retake it. Several others made the same observations.
    trueblue60 likes this.

  9. #269
    Premium Member uk#1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    13,213
    Last year Highlands fans where saying they was better than SK because they beat Scott County. Karma is a great thing! SK beat Collins! Highlands lost to Collins! Say it with me Highlands fans! Highlands was overrated this season!
    KyTmcNcc and blueandgold like this.

  10. #270
    Premium Member uk#1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    13,213
    Now we know why Highlands ducks SK!
    KyTmcNcc likes this.

  11. #271
    Premium Member uk#1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    13,213
    How many Highlands are hungover this morning? All of them! Great job Collins! Can't wait till next year to Collins play around SK and thank them for beating Highlands!
    trueblue60 likes this.

  12. #272
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    1,519
    You have to get the feeling that many of today's headlines will read "Highlands Lost" as opposed to "Collins Wins". So far, it's been 14 or so pages of "Highlands Lost".

  13. #273
    Premium Member uk#1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    13,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Whackem'n'Stackem' View Post
    You have to get the feeling that many of today's headlines will read "Highlands Lost" as opposed to "Collins Wins". So far, it's been 14 or so pages of "Highlands Lost".
    Enquirer is going to change Fort Thomas to Loserville.

  14. #274
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Yea that taunting penalty really hurt Highlands. Not saying Collons wouldn't have scored without that penalty because they already showed in that drive they can get that homerun ball at anytime. But it sure didn't hurt Collins any.

    I also found it interesting that the last play of the game that Dale was whining to the refs wanting a penalty for too many men on he field for Collins when in reality Collins had 11 and the 11th man was the one trying to get off the field.
    I think what hurt was the missed opportunities in the red zone particularly the end of the half where Drew gets sacked. That was my game changer.

  15. #275
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    1,519
    Did Highlands see this coming or were they "Pearl Harbored" on December 7, 2013? What adjustments were made in the second half that obviously proved ineffective?

  16. #276
    Premium Member raiderbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    In enemy territory scouting for the future..
    Posts
    8,896
    I was unable to make the game and watched it from my phone. Did the HHS defense make any adjustments in the second half at all? It was tough to tell from my phone. Congrats to Collins they definately had a better game plan this go around. You won't hear me say this much but the Birds were out coached in this one....I still feel like it was a bad dream..Wow!!!
    trueblue60 and AvidTiger like this.

  17. #277
    Premium Member Lawnboy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 2.0
    Posts
    13,349
    Quote Originally Posted by uk#1fan View Post
    Now we know why Highlands ducks SK!
    Careful what you wish for, you just might not like what you get. However, the Breds have the Pioneers on the schedule again next year, and they will again try to help prepare SK to make it to a State Finals appearance.

    Just remember......two of the best football programs in the state, reside in Campbell Co. just 5 minutes apart from one another, and they both will be back in 2014.
    Go BREDS & BIRDS.

  18. #278
    Premium Member Bluerunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    252
    Couple observations from the Peanut Gallery (I haven't been through all 14 pages of this thread).

    The onside kick with 8:00 plus minutes to go, and down 30-28 was a curious call.

    Highlands virtually abandons the running the game in the first half and I believe it cost them. Cold weather and a QB who is not a big threat to run played well into the hands of Collins.

    HHS is well coached and makes all kinds of adjustments, they have for years. Some years you don't have the horse power to run a completely 2 platoon system. Example: 8 receivers (all excellent athletes) rotate in and out of the game, and how many snaps did Jalen Hayes play? I see a lot of talent that could help out on the defensive side of the ball playing about 10 snaps per game on the offensive side. The "2 Platoon" can be a curse if it is your Bible. (My opinion).

    Congrats to Collins. That kid who came in to throw the game winning touchdown has one heck of a story. It would be hard to believe if I had not witnessed.
    raiderbird likes this.

  19. #279
    Premium Member Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    19,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Whackem'n'Stackem' View Post
    I think what hurt was the missed opportunities in the red zone particularly the end of the half where Drew gets sacked. That was my game changer.
    I agree, the sack on Houliston right before they were going to punch it in and go up was huge. The momentum definitely swung toward Collins.

    Questionable coaching decisions by both teams played into the final result imo. The early onside kicks giving both teams excellent field position were both poor decisions if you ask me. Attempting the 45 yard FG after the penalty to move them back was questionable like JOAT said, especially on a cold 25 degree field. Daugherty has the leg but man that ball just died once he kicked it.

    Hats off to the Highlands WR's as they made some tremendous plays in key situations. Green's diving catch on 4th down was unreal. Weyer made a great catch to extend a drive as well late in the game. Evan Allen refusing to be tackled and getting into the endzone showed real intestinal fortitude. Feggins made a huge grab on a big 3rd down play. Vennaman came up pretty big also on some snags. They truly had multiple weapons offensively.

    Congrats to Collins and coach Lucas. The storybook ending is one they will be able to remember the rest of their lives.

  20. #280
    Premium Member raiderbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    In enemy territory scouting for the future..
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluerunner View Post
    Couple observations from the Peanut Gallery (I haven't been through all 14 pages of this thread).

    The onside kick with 8:00 plus minutes to go, and down 30-28 was a curious call.

    Highlands virtually abandons the running the game in the first half and I believe it cost them. Cold weather and a QB who is not a big threat to run played well into the hands of Collins.

    HHS is well coached and makes all kinds of adjustments, they have for years. Some years you don't have the horse power to run a completely 2 platoon system. Example: 8 receivers (all excellent athletes) rotate in and out of the game, and how many snaps did Jalen Hayes play? I see a lot of talent that could help out on the defensive side of the ball playing about 10 snaps per game on the offensive side. The "2 Platoon" can be a curse if it is your Bible. (My opinion).

    Congrats to Collins. That kid who came in to throw the game winning touchdown has one heck of a story. It would be hard to believe if I had not witnessed.
    I have been saying this all year..I guess you live and learn..I guarantee Dale and Brian will go back and look at the season and make adjustments in what they need to do for next year.