Class 2A Rankings for 9-24

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,822

    Class 2A Rankings for 9-24

    1. Caldwell County vs. Ballard Memorial
    2. DeSales vs. #4 Bardstown
    3. Christian Academy-Louisville vs. Shawnee
    4. Bardstown at #2 DeSales
    5. Glasgow vs. 3A #10 Monroe County
    6. Middlesboro at 1A #6 Pikeville
    7. Newport Central Catholic vs. Lloyd Memorial
    8. Owensboro Catholic vs. Butler County
    9. Murray -- OPEN
    10. Union County at Hancock County
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,822

    Thoughts?

  3. #3
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    12,885

    September 20th
    Unranked 2A Somerset 35
    #5 2A Glasgow 13

    Somerset is drastically underrated IMO.

    Their losses are to the #1 3A team, #7 5A team, and #8 1A team

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 13
    Posts
    617

    I would think NCC is in the top 5. They have played a very tough non-district schedule and competed very well

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    God's Country otherwise known as Princeton, KY
    Posts
    886

    Very good!

  6. #6
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,221

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    September 20th
    Unranked 2A Somerset 35
    #5 2A Glasgow 13

    Somerset is drastically underrated IMO.

    Their losses are to the #1 3A team, #7 5A team, and #8 1A team
    And they barely beat an 0-5 team. That was their only win heading into the Glasgow game. Somerset played their way out of the top 10. Now they need to play their way back in. That Glasgow win was a huge step back toward the top 10.

  7. #7
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    12,885

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    And they barely beat an 0-5 team. That was their only win heading into the Glasgow game. Somerset played their way out of the top 10. Now they need to play their way back in. That Glasgow win was a huge step back toward the top 10.
    Then why is Glasgow ranked #5?

    Didn't they play their way out of the Top 10 when they were beat soundly by an unranked 1-3 team who's only win was against an 0-5 team?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    God's Country otherwise known as Princeton, KY
    Posts
    886

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    Then why is Glasgow ranked #5?

    Didn't they play their way out of the Top 10 when they were beat soundly by an unranked 1-3 team who's only win was against an 0-5 team?
    Evidently not

  9. #9
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    12,885

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamKiller View Post
    Evidently not
    Evidently it also does not apply to 2-3 Murray as well who has a comparative resume, except they blew out their 0-5 team (although by comparing schedules it is very evident Marshall County's winless season has came against a much weaker schedule than Southwestern)

  10. #10
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    And they barely beat an 0-5 team. That was their only win heading into the Glasgow game. Somerset played their way out of the top 10. Now they need to play their way back in. That Glasgow win was a huge step back toward the top 10.
    Who has Newport Central Catholic beaten to stay in the rankings at 1-4? An Ashland team that has a 1 point win over 1A Raceland, a 1 point win over Russell and a win over a 2-2 Ironton, Ohio team that is ranked 338th in Ohio? If they are getting the benefit of the doubt because of a tough schedule why not the Jumpers?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    September 20th
    Unranked 2A Somerset 35
    #5 2A Glasgow 13

    Somerset is drastically underrated IMO.

    Their losses are to the #1 3A team, #7 5A team, and #8 1A team
    I agree. They need to be in Top 10 or at least at #10. They beat #5 Glasgow. Somerset is either under-rated or Glasgow is over-rated. Take your pick.

  12. #12
    The Scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Somewhere between Possum Trot and Black Gnat
    Posts
    30,594

    I think Somerset is a top 10 team.

    Murray led the #1 team in 1A by 18 points before Mayfield took over. They lost to a top 10 team in 5A by three points and a top 15 team in 6A. You can't knock Murray's schedule.

    The team no one is talking about is CA-L. Three straight shutouts and have allowed just 32 points in five games. Don't sleep on the Centurions.

  13. #13
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    12,885

    Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    I think Somerset is a top 10 team.

    Murray led the #1 team in 1A by 18 points before Mayfield took over. They lost to a top 10 team in 5A by three points and a top 15 team in 6A. You can't knock Murray's schedule.

    The team no one is talking about is CA-L. Three straight shutouts and have allowed just 32 points in five games. Don't sleep on the Centurions.
    CAL and DeSales have really been super impressive... that Western side of AA is going to be a lot of fun to watch in November. Lots of really good teams on that side.. probably 12 of the Top 15 AA teams in the State on the same side of the bracket.

    Also I wasn't poo pooing Murray's schedule..just stating they had a similar resume as Somerset to point out the flaw in VoR's "Voice of Reason" as to why Glasgow stayed a Top 5 team whereas the team who beat them going away didn't even crack the Top 10. Murray is clearly a Top 10 team, but IMHO so is Somerset.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    I think Somerset is a top 10 team.

    Murray led the #1 team in 1A by 18 points before Mayfield took over. They lost to a top 10 team in 5A by three points and a top 15 team in 6A. You can't knock Murray's schedule.

    The team no one is talking about is CA-L. Three straight shutouts and have allowed just 32 points in five games. Don't sleep on the Centurions.
    Nope. You can't knock their schedule at all.

  15. #15
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,221

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    CAL and DeSales have really been super impressive... that Western side of AA is going to be a lot of fun to watch in November. Lots of really good teams on that side.. probably 12 of the Top 15 AA teams in the State on the same side of the bracket.

    Also I wasn't poo pooing Murray's schedule..just stating they had a similar resume as Somerset to point out the flaw in VoR's "Voice of Reason" as to why Glasgow stayed a Top 5 team whereas the team who beat them going away didn't even crack the Top 10. Murray is clearly a Top 10 team, but IMHO so is Somerset.
    The thing that hurt Somerset IMO was game 1 - the loss to Pulaski. We now know Pulaski Co. is pretty darn good but that loss put a negative spin on Somerset, especially since it was such a lopsided loss. Then in week 2 Somerset gets slammed again. Once again, a very good team in Belfry, even better than anyone thought at the time. So Somerset looks like they are down because they got spanked pretty good by those two. Then you get to game three and Somerset barely beats a team that is not very good, now 0-5. That one probably hurt even more than the two losses. That knocks Somerset out of the top 10. Next game, another loss, this time to a 1A school that many people also think is down a little, even though they are ranked in the top 10 of 1A. So at this point, Somerset is firmly out of the top 10 in most people's eyes and my guess is, barely in the top 15. Does one very good win versus Glasgow wash all that away?

    That being said, I do think Somerset needs to be considered for top 10. If they get another good win this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the top 10.

Top