Class 2A Final: Owensboro Catholic/Russell discussion

Page 7 of Not too many people had this finals matchup in the preseason. Who wins this one and why?... 336 comments | 15511 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: Who wins the 2A State Title?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Owensboro Catholic

    102 51.00%
  • Russell

    98 49.00%
  1. #91
    Pirate Pal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Home of the 2003 & 2004 2A State Champs
    Posts
    2,731

    I think that the difference between last years Belfry/Ocath game and this years Russell/Ocath game is that Russell will pass the ball when needed. If Ocath defends the run during the 1st and 2nd down then Russell will pass the 3rd.

    I'm sure that Ocath learned a lot about the run last year and has made some adjustments to try to control it.
    Advertisement

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    37

    Desales was the first team we have seen in a long time that did not have their hands on their hips by the end of the game - not many played both ways - but those kids were pretty well conditioned last night.

    From what I can tell Belfry tried to go to the air some last night - is that true?

  3. #93
    FBALL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    4,873

    Quote Originally Posted by jman69
    Desales was the first team we have seen in a long time that did not have their hands on their hips by the end of the game - not many played both ways - but those kids were pretty well conditioned last night.

    From what I can tell Belfry tried to go to the air some last night - is that true?
    Yes that is true. Belfry had trouble running the ball against Russell so they spread the field more in the second half. 4-10 passing.

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    37

    Hey pirate - defense is much better than last year - and we defend the pass very well.

    Last year Jones and Howard plus a great line were just more than our defense could handle - but I'm telling you - our defense this year is much - much better and the offense is just as good.

  5. #95
    Pirate Pal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Home of the 2003 & 2004 2A State Champs
    Posts
    2,731

    Quote Originally Posted by jman69
    Hey pirate - defense is much better than last year - and we defend the pass very well.

    Last year Jones and Howard plus a great line were just more than our defense could handle - but I'm telling you - our defense this year is much - much better and the offense is just as good.

    Then this year's game will be on more of a level playing field. I know that you have always had awesome receivers and can score quickly, whereas Belfry ate the clock up with the amazing backfield that we had. It was a good game last year.

    Is your game still the pass????

  6. #96
    aces03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Owensboro
    Posts
    755

    Quote Originally Posted by midee1
    And I guess that Russell only has a partial package.

    Obviously BOTH teams have a complete package. You don't get this far in the post season only having a partial package. I think Russell needs to step up the pass coverage BUT thay have proved that they can by stopping Fritz at Fleming. I believe that he was THE leading passer in the regular season according to KHSAA.

    See you all Saturday.
    There you go again....where did I say anything about Russell having a partial package??????????

  7. #97
    aces03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Owensboro
    Posts
    755

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Pal
    Then this year's game will be on more of a level playing field. I know that you have always had awesome receivers and can score quickly, whereas Belfry ate the clock up with the amazing backfield that we had. It was a good game last year.

    Is your game still the pass????
    We are no loner one dimensional. Kamuf and Ijames have given us great yards on the ground. We can run right at you or around you. Kamuf had 167 on the ground last night. Thats one of the reasons in my previous post that I said we were so well balanced this year.

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    37

    If we don't run at you or around you just look up - cause QB is closing in on 4000!

  9. #99
    midee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Let's get dangerous....
    Posts
    769

    Quote Originally Posted by aces03
    There you go again....where did I say anything about Russell having a partial package??????????
    Not said but implied. You say that the Aces have the complete package which leads me to believe that you think that Russell does not.

  10. #100
    Devilologists's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Pit of HELL, Right underneath the 2005 AA STATE CHAMPIONS- IVAN McGLONE FIELD
    Posts
    252

    Quote Originally Posted by devil58
    Jay kind of touched on it but both the NO TD calls were correct...They were right in front of me and as much as I wanted them both to be wrong they weren't...I was on the goal line about 5 yards off the sideline...On Brown's long run the Belfry defender popped the ball lose at the 1 1/2 yard line...The ball rolled into the endzone & out of bounds...I told the guys I was with immediately that it was a touchback & Belfry's ball...The second one, Brown was down just inside the 1 yard line...Sorry guys!! I wanted those scores BADLY too!!! We would have been up 34-0 and wouldn't have had to go through the 2nd half suspense...

    After review I made a mistake, I was wrong and I admit it. Tommy was short but from where we were it looked good. Sorry for the complaining. Thanks for the other view 58- it always helps to have a different view on the situation. Like I said I was wrong. Thanks again.

  11. #101
    aces03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Owensboro
    Posts
    755

    Quote Originally Posted by midee1
    Not said but implied. You say that the Aces have the complete package which leads me to believe that you think that Russell does not.
    Wrong.....I just believe Catholic has what it takes this year. Taking nothing away from Russell, don't know too much about them. But they have to be very good to beat Belfry.

  12. #102

    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    56

    I pick Russell to win this one. They are an exceptional football team that deserves everything they get. We (Morgan County) have played them 3 times in the past 2 years and there was always great respect that went both ways. I predict Russell wins this one by 2 TD's.

  13. #103
    Devilologists's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Pit of HELL, Right underneath the 2005 AA STATE CHAMPIONS- IVAN McGLONE FIELD
    Posts
    252

    Just waiting for Saturday- We can play against the pass, Yes we beat Fritz, We can play against the run- Balfry. No I have not seen O Cath this year but UI was at the Championship game last year and O Cath was impressive. If they are better than last year, we have alot of game to get ready for. Good luck O Cath. Have a great game.
    Lets go Devils !!!!

  14. #104

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Owensboro
    Posts
    484

    Quote Originally Posted by GOREDDEVILS
    Russell will be the most physical team that Ocath will play this season write that down.
    Man how many times have I heard this over the last 3 weeks! We have been playing the most physical team we will see all year since the 2nd round of the playoffs. I'm glad that is 1 less thing we have to prepare for.

  15. #105

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    37

    Just bring it!
    Can we move this game up a week!
    Think I'm gonna drive to PJ Stadium this afternoon so I can get a good seat!

    Maybe I'll just tailgate - all week!

Top