BluegrassPreps Pre-Season Football Rankings - Class 3A

  1. #1
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    45,271

    BluegrassPreps Pre-Season Football Rankings - Class 3A

    Class 3A

    The landscape of Class 3A was effected more than any of the other small-school classes with traditional heavyweights Central, Boyle County, Corbin, and Lexington Catholic all departing. Taking their place are no shortage of programs with dynasty potential and Christian Academy of Louisville and DeSales both enter and immediately rocket to the top of the rankings. Belfry has been a 3A staple and keep their residence, but will need to beat 5A Southwestern and hope the two newcomers lose to ranked foes from higher classifications. The back half of the Top 10 is littered with other newcomers. Ashland, Glasgow, and Taylor County all have high hopes in their new alignments and will have solid tests to get off on the right foot.

    1. Christian Academy of Louisville vs. 5A #7 South Oldham
    2. DeSales at 6A #3 St. Xavier
    3. Belfry vs. 5A Southwestern at Pulaski County
    4. Bell County vs. 5A Collins at Danville (8/24)
    5. Ashland at 4A #9 Knox Central
    6. Elizabethtown vs. 4A Allen County-Scottsville at Glasgow
    7. Paducah Tilghman at 6A #10 McCracken County (8/24)
    8. Glasgow vs. #10 Larue County
    9. Taylor County vs. Western Hills at Campbellsville University (8/24)
    10. Larue County at #8 Glasgow
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    45,271

    How does this group look? The top three are regulars and probably won't surprise many people. Does Ashland look right at number five?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    546

    I believe this is the year Tilghman makes the leap and competes for a State Title. This Senior Class is gonna surprise a lot of people.

    I have no problem with the poll for now though. Top 3 are fine and the rest of us will have to sort it out during the season.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    454

    I know it's going to come off as a homer, but I really do think DeSales will be better than CAL this year. CAL brings back 6 starters off the offense, and only 3 from that great Defense they had last year. Milton Wright wasn't only great on the offensive side, but he was good on the Defensive side as well.
    DeSales brings back 7 on both sides of the ball. Their defense is going to be special this year. We knew last year, they were a year away looking to this year.
    For us on this side of the state, we only know Belfry by reputation, but this has been their yard for awhile. I'd probably go:
    1. Belfry
    2. DeSales
    3. CAL

  5. #5
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,784

    Quote Originally Posted by TilghmanPride View Post
    I believe this is the year Tilghman makes the leap and competes for a State Title. This Senior Class is gonna surprise a lot of people.

    I have no problem with the poll for now though. Top 3 are fine and the rest of us will have to sort it out during the season.
    Noone has been more critical of Tilghman not meeting expectations over the years as myself.

    With that said, I truly believe they are on the right path and have a chance to really have a special team this year. There is nothing about this Tilghman team I can point at and say is a glaring weakness.

  6. #6
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,784

    When it comes to Belfry, I think the Pirates are going to struggle a little in their Non-District slate.

    Brett Coleman is not only slated to be their starting QB, but may be one of their most important Defensive player, and he will probably miss the first three or four games.

    Belfry also will be without starting DE Brad Lowe for most of the regular season after an injury. RB/S Ben Bentley is recovering from an injury as well and being held out of contact, but they are hopeful he will be able to play in Week 1. They also lost a kid expected to compete for a starting LB spot and key FB minutes.

    The Pirates simply don't have the depth they are accustomed to, although their starting 11 is going to be really good when healthy. In recent years key injuries at the end of the year have played a major role in Belfry falling short of their goals. With Belfry having some injuries and losses in the Pre-Season, maybe that trend will be reversed.

    I have a hard time not putting both Louisville schools ahead of Belfry to start the year, knowing that Belfry may take 3 or 4 losses before getting into the heart of the District schedule.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    454

    Quote Originally Posted by TilghmanPride View Post
    I believe this is the year Tilghman makes the leap and competes for a State Title. This Senior Class is gonna surprise a lot of people.

    I have no problem with the poll for now though. Top 3 are fine and the rest of us will have to sort it out during the season.
    Should be a good test for both teams, when the Colts, will roll into town on 10/4.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    454

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    When it comes to Belfry, I think the Pirates are going to struggle a little in their Non-District slate.

    Brett Coleman is not only slated to be their starting QB, but may be one of their most important Defensive player, and he will probably miss the first three or four games.

    Belfry also will be without starting DE Brad Lowe for most of the regular season after an injury. RB/S Ben Bentley is recovering from an injury as well and being held out of contact, but they are hopeful he will be able to play in Week 1. They also lost a kid expected to compete for a starting LB spot and key FB minutes.

    The Pirates simply don't have the depth they are accustomed to, although their starting 11 is going to be really good when healthy. In recent years key injuries at the end of the year have played a major role in Belfry falling short of their goals. With Belfry having some injuries and losses in the Pre-Season, maybe that trend will be reversed.

    I have a hard time not putting both Louisville schools ahead of Belfry to start the year, knowing that Belfry may take 3 or 4 losses before getting into the heart of the District schedule.
    DeSales themselves could have that many losses. We have X, Butler, and Lex Catholic for our first 3 games. Then we also have Tilghman, on the road on Oct, followed by that other Louisville team.

  9. #9
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,580

    Quote Originally Posted by ColtPride View Post
    I know it's going to come off as a homer, but I really do think DeSales will be better than CAL this year. CAL brings back 6 starters off the offense, and only 3 from that great Defense they had last year. Milton Wright wasn't only great on the offensive side, but he was good on the Defensive side as well.
    DeSales brings back 7 on both sides of the ball. Their defense is going to be special this year. We knew last year, they were a year away looking to this year.
    For us on this side of the state, we only know Belfry by reputation, but this has been their yard for awhile. I'd probably go:
    1. Belfry
    2. DeSales
    3. CAL
    I agree with the CAL and DeSales assessment. Give me the Colts over the Centurions on August 14th...

    As for Belfry, I look at it a different way. They obviously have the history of holding down 3A, but I'm curious to see how the addition of DeSales and CAL affect that. Gun to my head, I'd say:

    1. DeSales
    2. Belfry
    3. CAL

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    546

    Quote Originally Posted by ColtPride View Post
    Should be a good test for both teams, when the Colts, will roll into town on 10/4.
    I absolutely love the matchup. It will definitely be a good measuring stick for us both to see what we need to improve heading into the playoffs.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    546

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    Noone has been more critical of Tilghman not meeting expectations over the years as myself.

    With that said, I truly believe they are on the right path and have a chance to really have a special team this year. There is nothing about this Tilghman team I can point at and say is a glaring weakness.
    I am beyond words for what Coach Smith has been able to do in a very short time here. Coach Duncan began the culture change and Coach Smith took right over and kept on running.

    This whole program has been completely remodeled from the ground up. Coach Smith graduated from Mayfield and won a Championship there and I can see the Mayfield signature in every aspect of our team now.

    This team was disorganized for years in every area. Add all the coaching changes in and we had a mess for a while.

    I believe what you'll see going forward is a completely different approach. Everyone is on board and I am truly excited for the future. More has been accomplished in the last 2-3 years than the previous 15 combined if you want to be truthful.

    Coach Smith will be at Tilghman for a long, long time if he desires.

  12. #12
    BadaBing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    110

    Quote Originally Posted by TilghmanPride View Post
    I am beyond words for what Coach Smith has been able to do in a very short time here. Coach Duncan began the culture change and Coach Smith took right over and kept on running.

    This whole program has been completely remodeled from the ground up. Coach Smith graduated from Mayfield and won a Championship there and I can see the Mayfield signature in every aspect of our team now.

    This team was disorganized for years in every area. Add all the coaching changes in and we had a mess for a while.

    I believe what you'll see going forward is a completely different approach. Everyone is on board and I am truly excited for the future. More has been accomplished in the last 2-3 years than the previous 15 combined if you want to be truthful.

    Coach Smith will be at Tilghman for a long, long time if he desires.
    The only way I see PT being a playoff threat is if they develop a passing game. Last years passing production won't cut it.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    546

    Quote Originally Posted by BadaBing View Post
    The only way I see PT being a playoff threat is if they develop a passing game. Last years passing production won't cut it.
    I agree. No way you pass like we did last year and threaten top teams. The ball will be in the air much more this season.

  14. #14
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,602

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    How does this group look? The top three are regulars and probably won't surprise many people. Does Ashland look right at number five?
    Looks solid to me. Teams 4-7 are interchangeable imo, and on the second tier until we get some games in. The same with 8-10, which I would consider third tier teams.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 18
    Posts
    9

    How did the Colts look in their scrimmage last week?

Top