BluegrassPreps - FINAL Western Kentucky Power Ranking & Playoff Preview - 10/30/16

Page 2 of BluegrassPreps 2016 FINAL Western Kentucky Power Rankings ... 26 comments | 2165 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    snakesnot_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Mayfield
    Posts
    3,130

    You do a good job but your prediction of Owensboro Cath scoring 35 on Mayfield is way off.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,144

    Quote Originally Posted by tackle trap View Post
    Purple88, post #4 on on Christian vs John Hardin thread will give you some insight and stats you ask for. Great job as always you really put in some time and your knowledge on WKY football is impressive. I will add Christian County defense is playing some hard nose football of late. On a side not I was told that Catlett passed Chris Gohman of Elizabethtown for 9th all time receiving yards and is closing in on Chris Lofton for 8th..
    Trap,

    Thanks for this! I had trouble getting that link to work yesterday but of course it works today!

    I agree about Christian County's defense and add that they are playing their best ball right now!

    As for Catlett, I will be sorry to see him go as he is a special player. I hope he gets 8th place. Any chance he can get 7th before he's done?

    Colonels on another collision course with the Purples you know!!!

  3. #18
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,144

    Quote Originally Posted by SomewhereOffTheMap View Post
    Map,

    Thanks for posting this! I couldn't make it work at first for whatever reason!

  4. #19
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,144

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Yes. Josey was the QB for the Boyle County Rebels last year and is currently the starting QB at Cumberlands University in Williamsburg, KY.


    And to echo everyone else, your articles are fantastic! Very well done!
    Thanks Pride!

    Glad to hear Robbins is doing well at the next level. He was a whale of a HA QB!

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    63

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple88 View Post
    Map,

    Thanks for posting this! I couldn't make it work at first for whatever reason!
    No problem at all. I was surprised that the Colonels held JH to 62 total yards.

  6. #21
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,144

    Quote Originally Posted by zoneblitz2 View Post
    @Purple88 another great job this year. Enjoyed this every week. The only rankings I would slightly disagree on would be I believe and I think you do too.. that Owensboro Catholic and Owensboro should probably be ranked ahead of Greenwood. But I may be biased . Once again great job this year!
    Thanks ZB! Appreciate that!

    I certainly can see your points about O and OCATH concerning Greenwood, especially at the end of the season.

    Greenwood made their mark early in the year when they played their best game against South Warren and pulled that upset. And although they were VERY good in their match against Franklin Simpson haven't been able to sustain that high gear (mostly because of a 50 to 0 whitewashing against BG).

    While OCATH and Owensboro continue to collect wins and improve.

    Making these power rankings is a bit like driving a car in traffic where when 1 car is heading over to the exit ramp and the car coming up behind him with more speed has to break to let that car get over while another car although not as fast as the one that breaks steps in front due to being in the right place at the right time (or opportunistic)!

    Looking forward to these game!!!

  7. #22
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,144

    Quote Originally Posted by snakesnot_2000 View Post
    You do a good job but your prediction of Owensboro Cath scoring 35 on Mayfield is way off.
    Snake, you know I could be!

    On the positive side for me this season, Mayfield has given up the following points:
    Paducah Tilghman - 26 points
    McCracken County - 41 points
    Corbin - 34 points
    Caldwell County - 27 points

    Also, OCATH has scored at least 35 points in every game this year except their lone loss to Evansville Mater Dei 54-29 and their win vs rival 5A Owensboro 34-29.

    HOWEVER, on the positive side for you, Mayfield hasn't allowed 35 points in the playoffs since falling in the 2009 Title game to Lexington Christian (55-19). They have only given up in the lower neighborhood of 35 3 times between 2009 and now (2011- gave up 24 to Hazard in the 2011 Title Game; gave up 24 in a win v Beechwood in 2014 and gave up 27 in a State Title win v Williamsburg also in 2014.

    Also, OCATH has not scored 35 points in a losing effort in the playoffs since falling to Fort Campbell 48-35 in 2008.

    IN REFLECTION, 35 points is likely high I admit, but don't overlook the Aces!

  8. #23
    snakesnot_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Mayfield
    Posts
    3,130

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple88 View Post
    Snake, you know I could be!

    On the positive side for me this season, Mayfield has given up the following points:
    Paducah Tilghman - 26 points
    McCracken County - 41 points
    Corbin - 34 points
    Caldwell County - 27 points

    Also, OCATH has scored at least 35 points in every game this year except their lone loss to Evansville Mater Dei 54-29 and their win vs rival 5A Owensboro 34-29.

    HOWEVER, on the positive side for you, Mayfield hasn't allowed 35 points in the playoffs since falling in the 2009 Title game to Lexington Christian (55-19). They have only given up in the lower neighborhood of 35 3 times between 2009 and now (2011- gave up 24 to Hazard in the 2011 Title Game; gave up 24 in a win v Beechwood in 2014 and gave up 27 in a State Title win v Williamsburg also in 2014.

    Also, OCATH has not scored 35 points in a losing effort in the playoffs since falling to Fort Campbell 48-35 in 2008.

    IN REFLECTION, 35 points is likely high I admit, but don't overlook the Aces!
    Mayfield beat Owensboro Cath 24-13 in 2015.

    Mayfield is just as good in my opinion as last year. Except for the kicking game and it's gotten better. Can O cath say the same ?

    Owensboro will be a tough out and they will not be overlooked.

  9. #24
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,144

    Quote Originally Posted by snakesnot_2000 View Post
    Mayfield beat Owensboro Cath 24-13 in 2015.

    Mayfield is just as good in my opinion as last year. Except for the kicking game and it's gotten better. Can O cath say the same ?

    Owensboro will be a tough out and they will not be overlooked.
    Mayfield is just as good as last year and maybe a little better.

    Owensboro Catholic was 8 and 2 this time last year with losses to Owensboro and Daviess County. This year OCATH is 9 and 1 with the only loss to a solid Evansville Mater Dei squad and they avenged losses to Owensboro and Daviess County. So I think contrary to popular belief they have come around to be pretty darn good (maybe unexpectedly so) and by record better than last season. Plus they will be a home. Need all the advantages they can get to play Mayfield.

    Agree on won't be overlooked!

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Posts
    159

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple88 View Post
    Snake, you know I could be!

    On the positive side for me this season, Mayfield has given up the following points:
    Paducah Tilghman - 26 points
    McCracken County - 41 points
    Corbin - 34 points
    Caldwell County - 27 points

    Also, OCATH has scored at least 35 points in every game this year except their lone loss to Evansville Mater Dei 54-29 and their win vs rival 5A Owensboro 34-29.

    HOWEVER, on the positive side for you, Mayfield hasn't allowed 35 points in the playoffs since falling in the 2009 Title game to Lexington Christian (55-19). They have only given up in the lower neighborhood of 35 3 times between 2009 and now (2011- gave up 24 to Hazard in the 2011 Title Game; gave up 24 in a win v Beechwood in 2014 and gave up 27 in a State Title win v Williamsburg also in 2014.

    Also, OCATH has not scored 35 points in a losing effort in the playoffs since falling to Fort Campbell 48-35 in 2008.

    IN REFLECTION, 35 points is likely high I admit, but don't overlook the Aces!
    Some notes on MF’s defense. 1. Against Corbin, there was a blocked punt for a touchdown, a pick-6, and a touchdown from a snap over the punter’s head. I don’t think those points can be fairly debited to the defense’s side of the ledger. 2. McCracken County’s offense is better than any offense MF will face over the course of the 2A playoffs. 3. Special teams: MF’s special teams struggled at times this season, especially early in the year. Starting field position at the 20 versus the 40/midfield area makes a huge difference and with the way the offense was rolling, MF was kicking off and giving away free yardage a bunch. 4. Kryptonite. Don’t discount the fact that Superman, Trajon Bright, plays both ways and his injury had at least some impact on MF’s defense. 5. Going conservative. Being restrained with a lead is not a phenomenon reserved to offensive play calling and there were times this season MF’s defense appeared to be reined in a bit when ahead by a few scores. MF’s defense is built around speed and is most effective, particularly the thunder ‘n lightning combination of Arnett and Hurt, when being aggressive, attacking, dictating, and disrupting as opposed to vanilla reading and reacting.

    The demise of MF’s defense has been greatly exaggerated and I predict they will prove themselves very formidable over the next five weeks.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    778

    Beating a dead horse but SW has done nothing to be ahead of Owensboro or Ocath. Oboro beat Christian @ Christrian, Ocath won a close one over Owensboro. OHS destroyed Greenwood last year. SW should be about 10 on this list until they beat someone on this list. I just don't see any win on SW's schedule to justify them. I can buy Greenwood, but SW has no body of work.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Franklin, KY
    Posts
    931

    Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    Beating a dead horse but SW has done nothing to be ahead of Owensboro or Ocath. Oboro beat Christian @ Christrian, Ocath won a close one over Owensboro. OHS destroyed Greenwood last year. SW should be about 10 on this list until they beat someone on this list. I just don't see any win on SW's schedule to justify them. I can buy Greenwood, but SW has no body of work.
    South Warren had a tremendous number of injuries this season including QB Ryder Litten who is the key to SW's success. They look to be getting back to full strength and made an impressive showing at Pope John Paul 2 in Hendersonville, TN. South Warren will be a formidable force the next five weeks.

Top