Bluegrasspreps' Eastern Kentucky Power Rankings 10-25
1. Johnson Central Golden Eagles (4A, 9-0)- Johnson Central brutalized Ashland to move to 9-0 and now play for the EKY Mythical Championship.
2. Belfry Pirates (3A, 8-1)- Belfry didn't break a sweat defeating Pike Central for yet another District Title, the Pirates now draw Johnson Central in a game of pride.
3. Corbin Redhounds (3A, 8-1)- Corbin ended Casey County's perfect run in emphatic fashion and now point their bow toward revenge with Knox Central who defeated them in 2015.
4. Southwestern Warriors (5A, 7-2)- Southwestern got the win they needed over rival Pulaski County and with it became the favorite to reach Bowling Green out of the East. One final tuneup against Lexington Catholic will not be easy though.
5. Rockcastle County Rockets (4A, 8-1)- Rock put the the finishing touches on a District Championship with a hard fought win over Knox Central and continue to play good football. Lincoln County should be their next notch in the belt.
6. Paintsville Tigers (1A, 9-0)- The Tigers overcame penalties to win a huge 1A Clash and should have little resistance from Shelby Valley en route to a perfect regular season. The Tigers make for the third EKY team with a #1 by their name in their respective class.
7. Pulaski County Maroons (5A, 7-2)- The Maroons Offense could not find their footing against Southwestern and took the runner-up spot in the District. Pulaski will need to re-group against Bourbon County to get the momentum flowing back.
8. Raceland Rams (1A, 8-1)- The Rams gave it a good go but fell short in extra time against Paintsville. No time to lick their wounds though as a very solid Russell comes calling.
9. Wayne County Cardinals (4A, 7-2)- Wayne looks to benefit from a late season rest and re-set with a Week 9 Bye, their regular season finale will be 2A Monroe County before one of the more interesting first round matchups against another pair of red birds.
10. Russell Red Devils (3A, 8-1)- Russell put the final strokes of their District Masterpiece by white washing Bath County. The Devils continue to fly under the radar a bit, but can turn heads in a big way if they defeat the rival Rams.
The Next 5 (In No Particular Order):
Pikeville Panthers (1A, 7-2)- Pikeville hoists yet another District Championship and will close out with 3A Pike County Central from just up US 119.
Whitley County Colonels (5A, 8-1)- The biggest surprise of the year in EKY are the Colonels who cruised past Letcher Central for the District 8 Title. Leslie County will definitely stretch their legs entering the playoffs.
Hazard Bulldogs (1A, 7-2)- Hazard still has aspirations of a deep push in Class 1A but will have to do most of their damage on the road. The Bulldogs must take care of 3A Breathitt County before a tough first round draw against Harlan.
Somerset Briarjumpers (2A, 5-4)- Speaking of teams that will have to be road warriors, Somerset was the odd man out in a Brutal District and finished as a 3 seed. Perry Central will give them an opportunity to get some Offensive Timing down before heading to Pburg.
Knox Central Panthers (4A, 4-4-1)- The Panthers are not happy with how their regular season panned out, but a tough game with Corbin will be the difference in finishing above or below the .500 mark. The Panthers will enter as one of the most dangerous 3 Seeds in the Bluegrass, but need to get their Offense going in a hurry.
Player of the Week
RB Myles Hurst, Jackson County
It's not often that POTW goes to a guy on the losing end, but it is impossible to ignore what Hurst did in defeat to Bell County. Hurst finished with 30 carries for a whopping 411 yards and 4 TD's. For good measure he added a 12 yard reception and 4 solo tackles as well. Hurst has a shot at clipping the 2000 yard mark against Clinton County.
Game of the Week
#2 Belfry Pirates (8-1) at #1 Johnson Central Golden Eagles (9-0)- It is becoming par for the course that these two meet in the Season Finale with bragging rights for EKY supremacy on the line. There may not be a team executing better than Johnson Central right now as the Eagles have dismantled everything in their path on each side of the football. Belfry has the deepest talent, but will need to find their timing as the Pirates' injury report has been a revolving door prior to this week.
Tags for this Thread