1. Johnson Central Golden Eagles (4A, 7-1)- As expected Matney's crew had little resistance from Rowan County and now turn their focus to the most important two game stretch of their year.
2. Belfry Pirates (3A, 7-1)- Despite resting a third of their total starters Belfry made short work of the challenger from Cleveland and now look to wrap up yet another District Title against Pike Central.
3. Corbin Redhounds (3A, 7-1)- Corbin took care of a down Bell County with relative ease and now get ther toughest District Test from a surprising foe. Casey County is an eye opening 8-0 and playing in what may be the biggest regular season game in school history.
4. Southwestern Warriors (5A, 6-2)- The Warriors coasted past Lincoln County and now square their sights on their cross county rival in a huge match-up.
5. Pulaski County Maroons (5A, 7-1)- Pulaski needed a little fortuitous help by penalty and then a blocked kick to avoid a shocking upset to South Laurel. Can they shake the cobwebs this week in a huge battle?
6. Rockcastle County Rockets (4A, 7-1)- Clay County was no match for the Rockets, but Knox Central should be. Rock has a chance to lock up a District Title but will need to battle a stingy Panther D to do so.
7. Paintsville Tigers (1A, 8-0)- Paintsville took advantage of the BYE for a week of rest and game planning for what should be the Top 1A game of the year.
8. Raceland Rams (1A, 8-0)-The Rams remained untouched by pounding Fairview. Raceland has been a program that has been "oh so close" to 1A immortality, this week they can take another step in the right direction.
9. Wayne County Cardinals (4A, 7-2)- Wayne County no longer controls their own destiny in the pursuit of a District Title and homefield advantage in the Region, but they should polish off an impressive 8-2 regular season against Monroe County.
10. Ashland Tomcats (4A, 6-2)- Many though Greenup might push the suddenly hot Tomcats but instead it was Ashland doing all the pushing. Now Ashland must focus on a completely different monster as Johnson Central comes calling.
Three Teams Finishing Strong:
Whitley County Colonels (5A, 7-1)- An impressive come back from over three TD's gave the Colonels the win over Harlan County and essentially locked up the trophy. Whitley has a very strong chance to be 10-1 before finally drawing a tough 2nd Round foe.
Russell Red Devils (3A, 7-1)- Russell is one point away from being undefeated and potentially in the same discussion as Corbin and Belfry in 3A. The Devils should easily handle Bath County and may then get a shot at ruining perfection for their 1A rivals from up the road.
Williamsburg Yellowjackets (1A, 4-4)- After starting 1-4 against a brutal schedule that Williamsburg actually fought hard against, the Yellowjackets have pushed back to the .500 mark and have the District Title in their grasp. With Lynn Camp and Middlesboro remaining expect the Burg to continue to gain momentum heading into a brutal playoff path.
Three Teams Fading Fast
Lawrence County Bulldogs (3A, 2-6)- Everyone expected Lawrence to take some lumps after losing a strong Senior Class, but a 2-6 record and finishing last in the District has to sting. Lawrence will no doubt be an underdog when the playoffs begin so it is important to rally for a pair of regular season wins against Sheldon Clark and Prestonsburg to gain some momentum.
Allen Central Rebels (2A, 6-2)- After a red hot start Allen Central had big dreams in a District ripe for the taking, now following losses to Leslie County and Prestonsburg, AC must rally against Shelby Valley or else see themselves heading to certain demise on the road in Round 1 as a Four Seed.
Powell County Pirates (3A, 3-5)- Powell was one of the biggest surprises of Class 3A in 2015 when they rallied for a District Title and won a home playoff game. The expectations were not met this year and now Powell must beat Magoffin County to even escape the impending struggle of being a 4 Seed.
Player of the Week
RB Dalton Garner, Wayne County
15 carries, 94 yards, 3 TD
3 Receptions, 63 Yards, 1 TD
Game(s) of the Week
#7 Paintsville at #8 Raceland- The District is on the line, perfection is on the line, and maybe even the title of Class 1A favorite.
#5 Pulasi County at #4 Southwestern- This one is more than just bragging rights as a win Friday gives the District Champ the inside track to Bowling Green thanks to Covington Catholic's District being moved to the West this season.