BluegrassPreps Class 5A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

  1. #1
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    42,806

    BluegrassPreps Class 5A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

    Class 5A

    Is this the year that the “Great Purple Reign of Terror” comes to an end? The opportunity to make a statement will come early for Christian County and Covington Catholic against ranked foes from other classes. Bowling Green has their own fish to fry in 6A North Hardin. South Oldham may take issue with their ranking outside of the Top 5, despite a Semi-Finals appearance. However, if the Dragons want to earn immediate respect, a Week 0 meeting with the Class 2A State Champs will certainly be a nice feather for their cap. All told, half of the Top 10 will draw teams from the State’s largest classification.

    1. Bowling Green vs. 6A North Hardin (8/19) at Western Kentucky University
    2. Christian County at 3A #8 Caldwell County
    3. Covington Catholic vs. 6A #5 Ryle
    4. Owensboro at 4A Madisonville- North Hopkins
    5. Fern Creek vs. 6A Seneca
    6. Doss at 6A Jeffersontown
    7. Greenwood at 4A Warren Central
    8. South Oldham at 2A #2 Christian Academy- Louisville
    9. Southwestern vs. Northwest (TN)
    10. Dixie Heights at 6A Campbell County
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    42,806

    No shocker, Bowling Green is at the top, are they going to be dominate once again? Can Christian County surprise them? Is Covington Catholic going to play above their level while celebrating their 50th anniversary? Where's Highlands? Who could move into the Top 10? Who will fall?

  3. #3
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,442

    Someone other than Bowling Green wins 5A this year. Who Im not sure yet.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Location
    Mayfield, Ky
    Posts
    542

    Some people can disagree with me if they want, but I'm telling y'all now. Graves county will be a team you don't want to sleep on this year. New offense, speedy defense, and new defensive coordinator. I just have a strong feeling this is the year!!

  5. #5
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,846

    Bowling Green will not be the same team they were last year. Can't be, as they lost some of their all-time leaders including Mr Football. They will take some losses this year IMO. But if the defensive line can play solid, Coach Spader and that Jungle D will be awfully tough to score on "Late" in the season.
    Christian County can beat anyone in the State on a given night. You heard it hear first.
    Don't know much about Cov Cath other than they will be well coached and have good athletes and a D1 QB.
    Watch out for Doss and Fern Creek! They are on the other side of the bracket from the Bracket of Doom (BG, Christian, Owensboro, GW, CovCath) and WILL make some noise this year and should be the East representative at Kroger Field.
    Teams that should get looks in the Top 10 include Pulaski County (they just won't go away), Whitley County and North Laurel. Good teams around the 10 line.

  6. #6
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,846

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Pride!! View Post
    Some people can disagree with me if they want, but I'm telling y'all now. Graves county will be a team u don't want to sleep on this year. New offense, speedy defense, and new defensive coordinator. I just have a strong feeling this is the year!!
    I agree with Eagle, add Graves to my other teams list!

  7. #7
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    10,183

    I think this may be about the most balanced a Class 5A I have seen in several years.

    Usually there are 2-3 very good teams, one elite team, and then 5 or 6 good teams.

    This year I think you have legitimately 5 or 6 very good teams and another 5-6 good teams still.

  8. #8
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    23,970

    Wow....no respect for the Bluebirds. What have you done for me lately I guess?

    The Bluebirds have a lot of good athletes and with some new Defensive schemes I look for them to be much better than last season.

    IMO no way Dixie should be ranked before the Birds but this is awesome locker room material for the Birds.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    849

    Let me quit drinking my Purple Kool-Aid for a moment and brag on a 5A team that deserves some press.

    Imagine this statement coming from the late, great Howard Cosell. You know how to impersonate Howard!

    "Ladies and gentlemen. This is Howard Cosell. The surprise of class 5A this year is the Greenwood Gators. That's right, the Gators from Bowling Green. The most underrated player in the state of Kentucky, Mr. Jackson Adams. This kid is a phenomenal high school quarterback. Quit reading the news clippings on other quarterbacks across Kentucky. Jackson's numbers speak for themselves. He didn't only break the all-time records at Greenwood, he shattered them. His rushing yardage at the end of his career will be staggering and his legacy will live for many years through the halls of the school in which he attends. The Gators will take care of business on most of their Friday nights. Under their quarterbacks leadership, the Gators finally get to be on the other end of some running clocks, including a clock on the Bluebirds from Northern Kentucky. That's right folks you heard it from Howard Cosell first. This is the year of the Gators making some noise in their class."

    Now, as I pick up my Purple Kool-aide; the Purples, although as green as they have been in several years, should still run the table on all of their 5A opponents this year.

    Looking forward to the season to get here!!

    PS - Great job on your impersonating the man, Cosell!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    198

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Wow....no respect for the Bluebirds. What have you done for me lately I guess?

    The Bluebirds have a lot of good athletes and with some new Defensive schemes I look for them to be much better than last season.

    IMO no way Dixie should be ranked before the Birds but this is awesome locker room material for the Birds.
    They have to earn the respect back after last year. Fame is fleeting.

  11. #11
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    23,970

    Quote Originally Posted by NKUisgr8 View Post
    They have to earn the respect back after last year. Fame is fleeting.
    Ha Ha...ok one bad season....I'm with ya. I guess it did get boring winning those 6 in a row. Maybe they need this little wake up call.

  12. #12
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,846

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Wow....no respect for the Bluebirds. What have you done for me lately I guess?

    The Bluebirds have a lot of good athletes and with some new Defensive schemes I look for them to be much better than last season.

    IMO no way Dixie should be ranked before the Birds but this is awesome locker room material for the Birds.
    Q,

    The Birds are #2 ALL TIME in Wins. That speaks for itself. My issue for the 2017 Birds are their schedule. It is very tough. I realize that's the way H does it, but what do you anticipate their record will be. They play:
    6A Cooper
    6A Campbell County
    4A Scott
    2A Lex Cath
    6A Simon Kenton
    5A Dixie Height
    5A CovCath
    5A Greenwood
    6A Boone County
    That's a tough schedule. Plus replacing your QB and several others right? Didn't I hear that the guy supposed to be "the leader" of the defense - Huddleston suffer a collarbone injury? That's not easy for a LB to quickly overcome. I'm not dogging them; I just think its a very tough task to be above 4 and 5 or 5 and 4.

  13. #13
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    23,970

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple88 View Post
    Q,

    The Birds are #2 ALL TIME in Wins. That speaks for itself. My issue for the 2017 Birds are their schedule. It is very tough. I realize that's the way H does it, but what do you anticipate their record will be. They play:
    6A Cooper
    6A Campbell County
    4A Scott
    2A Lex Cath
    6A Simon Kenton
    5A Dixie Height
    5A CovCath
    5A Greenwood
    6A Boone County
    That's a tough schedule. Plus replacing your QB and several others right? Didn't I hear that the guy supposed to be "the leader" of the defense - Huddleston suffer a collarbone injury? That's not easy for a LB to quickly overcome. I'm not dogging them; I just think its a very tough task to be above 4 and 5 or 5 and 4.
    In response....the kids replacing some of the starters from last year are better, much better at their positions. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

    More kids will go both ways this year especially exceptional athletes like Griffin Huber, Michael Dunn, Cooper Schwalbach, etc

    In response to the schedule...it is grueling but I still see some wins in there and it really only matters when it comes time to play your class.

    6A Cooper- Win
    6A Campbell County - 50/50
    4A Scott Loss
    2A Lex Cath Win
    6A Simon Kenton 50/50
    5A Dixie Height WIN
    5A CovCath 50/50
    5A Greenwood WIN
    6A Boone County WIN

    That is 5 wins plus 3 games where it could go either way IMO so they have potential to right the ship this season. Will they be the Highlands teams in the past where they outscored their opponents 60-20 on avg? NO But this team will earn some victories that I think many on here thought they would lose.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    108

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple88 View Post
    Q,

    The Birds are #2 ALL TIME in Wins. That speaks for itself. My issue for the 2017 Birds are their schedule. It is very tough. I realize that's the way H does it, but what do you anticipate their record will be. They play:
    6A Cooper
    6A Campbell County
    4A Scott
    2A Lex Cath
    6A Simon Kenton
    5A Dixie Height
    5A CovCath
    5A Greenwood
    6A Boone County
    That's a tough schedule. Plus replacing your QB and several others right? Didn't I hear that the guy supposed to be "the leader" of the defense - Huddleston suffer a collarbone injury? That's not easy for a LB to quickly overcome. I'm not dogging them; I just think its a very tough task to be above 4 and 5 or 5 and 4.
    I would look at the Bluebird schedule as a good thing. Come playoff time, they should be better prepared to compete with anyone. As we all know, records don't matter in most parts of the state because most teams get a shot at the playoffs. They will also get to show the state if they are better than DH in week 6.

  15. #15
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,846

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    In response....the kids replacing some of the starters from last year are better, much better at their positions. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

    More kids will go both ways this year especially exceptional athletes like Griffin Huber, Michael Dunn, Cooper Schwalbach, etc

    In response to the schedule...it is grueling but I still see some wins in there and it really only matters when it comes time to play your class.

    6A Cooper- Win
    6A Campbell County - 50/50
    4A Scott Loss
    2A Lex Cath Win
    6A Simon Kenton 50/50
    5A Dixie Height WIN
    5A CovCath 50/50
    5A Greenwood WIN
    6A Boone County WIN

    That is 5 wins plus 3 games where it could go either way IMO so they have potential to right the ship this season. Will they be the Highlands teams in the past where they outscored their opponents 60-20 on avg? NO But this team will earn some victories that I think many on here thought they would lose.
    Q,

    This is why you're a Highlands guy and I'm not; as you know more inside info than I do. It makes sense to me. Achieving that will be difficult, but that's why you play right.

Top