BluegrassPreps Class 2A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

Page 3 of Class 2A Many coaches subscribe to the theory of opening the season with a winnable game. Get your feet under you and then focus on bigger and badder f... 54 comments | 3806 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,185

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdukesix View Post
    Not sure why Mayfield is ranked at 1 other than being Mayfield and this is a different team returning this year. Lots of talent and size this year but new O line. I do think its a champion caliber team though but will need to be tested to get there. Thoughts?
    The Cardinals return two QB's, RB's and Receivers. A lot of their defense returns as well I think. They probably return more than any other top 2A team out there.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 18
    Posts
    17

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    The Cardinals return two QB's, RB's and Receivers. A lot of their defense returns as well I think. They probably return more than any other top 2A team out there.
    True. Im thinking however the production of the QBs ( how much will they even use both) and WR will hinge on the O line to allow those veterans to perform.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,185

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdukesix View Post
    True. Im thinking however the production of the QBs ( how much will they even use both) and WR will hinge on the O line to allow those veterans to perform.
    But they have good RB returning as well. Who would you put in their place? To me Danville is just behind them in preseason but might go past them by the end.

  4. #34
    BadaBing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    91

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    Understand. But it really wasn't a two score win.

    Mayfield scored on the last play of the game when the Danville defense was both gassed and could care less. If Walker runs the reverse I think he very well could have scored. The Punt return was all Van Cleave.

    And counterpoint. If Thornton doesn't hurt his shoulder early and the Ads get pinned back and give up a safety and TD from bad field position I don't think the Cardinals get their first points.

    It's all perspective I'm sure. Will The Ads miss Van Cleave. You bet ya. But the Danville team speed last year was as great or greater than those early 90's juggernauts from Danville. To me, Mayfield's offense did not look good until the game was out of hand and the pressure was off.
    Lots of "ifs" in this post. I think Danville was better with or without Van Cleave. I also agree on Danville team speed being a difference maker. But having watched Mayfield in the playoffs, specifically the CAL game, I thought that was an emotionally draining game. It showed in Lexington. Mayfield seemed to lack the energy they had the week before.

    Thornton looked good in title game. Especially mobility because MF defense had a hard time even getting a hand on him. Made some good throws as well. But I didn't see a Mr. Football candidate.

    As far as Danville getting hosed in these rankings, its preseason. Does it really matter? The top 4 or 5 teams are all talented and have a shot.

  5. #35
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    87,471

    Quote Originally Posted by BadaBing View Post
    Lots of "ifs" in this post. I think Danville was better with or without Van Cleave. I also agree on Danville team speed being a difference maker. But having watched Mayfield in the playoffs, specifically the CAL game, I thought that was an emotionally draining game. It showed in Lexington. Mayfield seemed to lack the energy they had the week before.

    Thornton looked good in title game. Especially mobility because MF defense had a hard time even getting a hand on him. Made some good throws as well. But I didn't see a Mr. Football candidate.

    As far as Danville getting hosed in these rankings, its preseason. Does it really matter? The top 4 or 5 teams are all talented and have a shot.
    If Thornton throws for 2500, runs for 500 and Danville is 9-1 at the end of the regular season then he will be a Mr. Football candidate. Same time last year no one was mentioning DíMauraie VanCleave as a Mr. Football candidate.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    How good will Glasgow be this year? Can they win state? Do they return a lot of talent from last yearís team?
    If they stay healthy, they have an outsiders chance.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,357

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    AJ Mayer and it isnít even close. Thatís a great question though.
    Losing Barry Sanders isn't close to losing AJ??? I don't know man. Danville isn't close to winning it last year if not for one of the greatest individual performances we'll ever see in all aspects of offense.

  8. #38
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,204

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    If Thornton throws for 2500, runs for 500 and Danville is 9-1 at the end of the regular season then he will be a Mr. Football candidate. Same time last year no one was mentioning D’Mauraie VanCleave as a Mr. Football candidate.
    Thornton is a great player and this is a very good point about VanCleave coming off the radar to win the award.

    With that said, will be interesting to see if he can repeat his numbers with his new cast of characters this season. Having the guys he had last season made it easy for a bubble screen to turn into a 65 yard TD pass.

    If I had to guess, I would say Thornton's completion percentage and TD passes slip, and his rushing yards and rushing TD's slightly increase this year.

    I am going to say he throws for around 2000 yards and rushes for maybe 650-700

    He had 46 total TD's last season, I think he is probably around the 40-42 mark this year with probably double figure rushing TD's

  9. #39
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    87,471

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    Losing Barry Sanders isn't close to losing AJ??? I don't know man. Danville isn't close to winning it last year if not for one of the greatest individual performances we'll ever see in all aspects of offense.
    You’re severely underestimating Danville’s overall talent and coaching. Not to mention, in HS the most important position on the field is QB. Danville didn’t dominate Mayfield because of VanCleave. He played a part but he wasn’t the only part. Jaleel Warren had the play of the game and their defense stifled Mayfield the whole game.

    Wandale Robinson is the same kind of played as VanCleave is. How come Western Hills doesn’t have the same success Danville has? Danville beat Boyle County 10-7 last year and VanCleave didn’t score that game. Boyle County put a running clock on Western Hills twice last season and averaged 66.5 points against them.


    If VanCleave doesn’t score against Boyle County and Danville still wins their toughest game of the season then why can’t they win this year when they still have guys on this year’s team capable of taking a bubble screen 65 yards to the house?

  10. #40
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    87,471

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    Thornton is a great player and this is a very good point about VanCleave coming off the radar to win the award.

    With that said, will be interesting to see if he can repeat his numbers with his new cast of characters this season. Having the guys he had last season made it easy for a bubble screen to turn into a 65 yard TD pass.

    If I had to guess, I would say Thornton's completion percentage and TD passes slip, and his rushing yards and rushing TD's slightly increase this year.

    I am going to say he throws for around 2000 yards and rushes for maybe 650-700

    He had 46 total TD's last season, I think he is probably around the 40-42 mark this year with probably double figure rushing TD's
    I expect that same kind of production and if Danville is 9-1 or 8-2 at the end of the regular season then he should be a Mr. Football candidate.

  11. #41
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    44,599

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    in HS the most important position on the field is QB.
    I've argued it before, but I totally disagree. The Center always has been, and still is the most important position on the field in high school. And, on many teams, depending on the type of offense they play, the leading rusher is the second most important. If a high school team throws a lot, I would even argue that the leading receiver is more import then the quarterback because if you watch, a lot of times the receiver makes the quarterback's stats look much better then they actually are. But, I digress, continue with your argument.

  12. #42
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    87,471

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    I've argued it before, but I totally disagree. The Center always has been, and still is the most important position on the field in high school. And, on many teams, depending on the type of offense they play, the leading rusher is the second most important. If a high school team throws a lot, I would even argue that the leading receiver is more import then the quarterback because if you watch, a lot of times the receiver makes the quarterback's stats look much better then they actually are. But, I digress, continue with your argument.
    I don’t care who the center is if you have an inexperienced and unseasoned quarterback taking snaps.

    I don’t care who your leading rusher is if the QB can’t make a routine handoff 99.9% of the time.

    I don’t care who your leading WR is if the QB can’t complete a variety of different and difficult passes from different angles in unpredictable circumstances on every play.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdukesix View Post
    True. Im thinking however the production of the QBs ( how much will they even use both) and WR will hinge on the O line to allow those veterans to perform.
    I thought I read somewhere that Mayfields O line is going to be young and somewhat inexperienced? That being said they are always well coached and prepared, 2A should be fun to watch this year

  14. #44
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    ďIt's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    50,926

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    I've argued it before, but I totally disagree. The Center always has been, and still is the most important position on the field in high school. And, on many teams, depending on the type of offense they play, the leading rusher is the second most important. If a high school team throws a lot, I would even argue that the leading receiver is more import then the quarterback because if you watch, a lot of times the receiver makes the quarterback's stats look much better then they actually are. But, I digress, continue with your argument.
    The center?

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,357

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    The center?
    I'd like to see the rationale as well. Maybe if they are responsible for line calls? But even then, many high school coaches won't give their center that responsibility. The QB, I'd bet, calls the protection changes just as much as centers do across the state.

Top