BGP QOTD: Who makes the all-time Northern Kentucky all star team?

  1. #1
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,485

    BGP QOTD: Who makes the all-time Northern Kentucky all star team?

    Just for fun, here. Let's see if we can come up with a first team and second team for all-time best players, by position.

    OFFENSE (12)
    Quarterback
    Running Back
    Running Back
    Offensive Line
    Offensive Line
    Offensive Line
    Offensive Line
    Offensive Line
    Tight End
    Wide Receiver
    Wide Receiver
    Kicker/Punter

    DEFENSE (12)
    Defensive Line
    Defensive Line
    Defensive Line
    Defensive Line
    Linebacker
    Linebacker
    Linebacker
    Linebacker
    Defensive Back
    Defensive Back
    Defensive Back
    Defensive Back

    ATHLETES (10)
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Athlete
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,485

    List of current Northern Kentucky high schools:

    Beechwood
    Bellevue
    Bishop Brossart
    Boone County
    Bracken County
    Campbell County
    Carroll County
    Conner
    Cooper
    Covington Catholic
    Covington Holy Cross
    Dayton
    Dixie Heights
    Gallatin County
    Grant County
    Highlands
    Holmes
    Lloyd Memorial
    Ludlow
    Newport
    Newport Central Catholic
    Owen County
    Pendleton County
    Ryle
    Scott High
    Simon Kenton
    Walton-Verona

  3. #3
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,485

    OFFENSE:
    Quarterback - Drew Barker (Conner)
    Quarterback - Bob DeMoss (Dayton)
    Quarterback - Gino Guidugli (Highlands)
    Quarterback - Greg Hergott (Beechwood)
    Quarterback - Beau Hoge (Highlands)
    Quarterback - Jared Lorenzen (Highlands)
    Quarterback - AJ Mayer (Covington Catholic)
    Quarterback - Zeke Pike (Dixie Heights)
    Quarterback - Pat Towles (Highlands)
    Offensive Line - Ron Bird (Holmes)
    Offensive Line - Brian Dennler (Dixie Heights)
    Offensive Line - Mike Donoghue (Covington Catholic)
    Offensive Line - Jim Dougherty (Bellevue)
    Offensive Line - Irv Goode (Boone County)
    Offensive Line - Barry Jones (Covington Catholic)
    Offensive Line - Greg Kunkel (Lloyd Memorial)
    Offensive Line - Matt Mercer (Beechwood)
    Offensive Line - Art Mergenthal (Bellevue)
    Offensive Line - Scott Kuhein (Highlands)
    Offensive Line - Mark Pike (Dixie Heights)
    Offensive Line - Rob Smith (Highlands)
    Offensive Line - Mike Webster (Simon Kenton)
    Offensive Line - Dale Waite (Ludlow)
    Running Back - Shaun Alexander (Boone County)
    Running Back - Austin Collinsworth (Highlands)
    Running Back - Corey Farris (Boone County)
    Running Back - Justin Frisk (Highlands)
    Running Back - Casey McGinness (Covington Catholic)
    Running Back - Miles Simpson (Simon Kenton)
    Running Back - Ed Ziegler (Newport Catholic)
    Tight End - Frank Jacobs (Newport Catholic)
    Tight End - Tate Nichols (Ryle)
    Wide Receiver - Charles Johnson (Lloyd Memorial)
    Wide Receiver - Brett Slusher (Beechwood)
    Wide Receiver - Alex Veneman (Highlands)
    Kicker - Doug Pelfry (Scott)

    DEFENSE:
    Defensive Back - Brandent Engelmon (Holmes)
    Defensive Back - Brett Hamblen (Highlands)
    Defensive Line - Tommy Botts (Lloyd Memorial)
    Defensive Line - Mike Kiernan (Newport Catholic)
    Defensive Line - Billy Lyon (Lloyd Memorial)
    Defensive Line - Artie Steinmetz (Covington Catholic)
    Linebacker - Jeff Brady (Newport Catholic)
    Linebacker - Bob Dougherty (Bellevue)
    Linebacker - Meechi Jackson (Holmes)
    Linebacker - Chuck Kyle (Highlands)
    Linebacker - Marty Moore (Highlands)
    Linebacker - Mike Woolf (Covington Catholic)
    Linebacker - Tim Schulte (Covington Catholic)
    Linebacker - Todd Schulte (Covington Catholic)
    Linebacker - Paul Wilburn (Simon Kenton)

    ATHLETE:
    Athlete - Brandon Berger (Beechwood)
    Athlete - Kam Butler (Covington Catholic)
    Athlete - Jalani Brandon (Lloyd Memorial)
    Athlete - Charlie Fredrick (Newport Catholic)
    Athlete - Brady Hightchew (Newport Catholic)
    Athlete - Derek Smith (Highlands)
    Athlete - Adam Wulfeck (Beechwood)

  4. #4
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    735

    Off the top of my head, I know Highlands more than most teams.... looking forward to see the players people suggest.

    QB Jared Lorenzen Highlands
    RB Shaun Alexander Boone County
    RB Justin Frisk. Highlands
    TE Derek Smith. Highlands
    T. Scott Kuhnhein. Highlands
    T Rob Smith Highlands
    G Kurt Doolin. Cov Cath
    DE Artie Steinmetz. Cov Cath
    S Miles Simpson. Simon Kenton
    S Mike Mitchell. Cov Cath / Highlands
    DB Tommy Fowee. Cov Cath
    WR Brett Hamblin. Highlands

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,255

    Glaring correction- Mark Pike was an awesome Tailback in his Dixie Heights' days. Bill Curry later converted him to the fulltime defensive DE/LB position. Suspect he went two ways at Dixie, but my brain is foggy on that.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,255

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    Off the top of my head, I know Highlands more than most teams.... looking forward to see the players people suggest.

    QB Jared Lorenzen Highlands
    RB Shaun Alexander Boone County
    RB Justin Frisk. Highlands
    TE Derek Smith. Highlands
    T. Scott Kuhnhein. Highlands
    T Rob Smith Highlands
    G Kurt Doolin. Cov Cath
    DE Artie Steinmetz. Cov Cath
    S Miles Simpson. Simon Kenton
    S Mike Mitchell. Cov Cath / Highlands
    DB Tommy Fowee. Cov Cath
    WR Brett Hamblin. Highlands
    Chuck Kyle is probably the best lineman to ever come out of Highlands.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,275

    I will add a few guys and correct a few others.

    Greg Kunkel was a Tight End in high school.
    Tim Schulte was a Defensive Back

    Add these for sure:

    DB Jeff Kremer
    DL David Fischer - gives Chuck Kyle a run for his money as best lineman ever to come out of Highlands.
    RB John Bankemper
    OL John Schlarman

  8. #8
    bulldog77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    No. Ky.
    Posts
    3,217

    Add Jim Lokesak RB from Ludlow.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    226

    I would put Matt O'Toole and Greg Preston, both quarterbacks at Dixie, ahead of Zeke Pike. Matt's senior year, they almost beat Trinity in the playoffs and clearly outplayed the Trinity qb that was the national player of the year and went on to play at Louisville and Greg led the Dixie team that upset Trinity in the playoffs in 2004. I believe the only NKY team, in recent memory to beat Trinity.

  10. #10
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    812

    Frank Jacobs is the TE on this team, no matter how much I like Derek Smith. Jared would be my QB if I was making the team out, and I realize there are many talented options.

    Shaun Alexander is THE running back, no list needed.

    Marty Moore and Todd Schulte are the line-backers that can be written in with a sharpie.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    751

    Quote Originally Posted by KYSportster View Post
    I would put Matt O'Toole and Greg Preston, both quarterbacks at Dixie, ahead of Zeke Pike. Matt's senior year, they almost beat Trinity in the playoffs and clearly outplayed the Trinity qb that was the national player of the year and went on to play at Louisville and Greg led the Dixie team that upset Trinity in the playoffs in 2004. I believe the only NKY team, in recent memory to beat Trinity.
    Concur.

    Preston went 1AA and OToole May have as well.

    Neither had the pedigree/hype of Pike. But I’d take either of them.

  12. #12
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Frank Jacobs is the TE on this team, no matter how much I like Derek Smith. Jared would be my QB if I was making the team out, and I realize there are many talented options.

    Shaun Alexander is THE running back, no list needed.

    Marty Moore and Todd Schulte are the line-backers that can be written in with a sharpie.
    How about Jacobs is the blocking TE and D Smith is the receiving TE. I would put money down that Smith had double the receiving TDs/yds.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 18
    Posts
    62

    This is a solid list, I would make a few additions:
    QB Jared Lorenzen Highlands
    RB Shaun Alexander Boone County
    RB Justin Frisk. Highlands
    TE Derek Smith. Highlands
    T. Scott Kuhnhein. Highlands
    T Rob Smith Highlands
    G Kurt Doolin. Cov Cath
    DE Artie Steinmetz. Cov Cath
    S Miles Simpson. Simon Kenton
    S Mike Mitchell. Cov Cath / Highlands
    DB Tommy Fowee. Cov Cath
    WR Brett Hamblin. Highlands

    Add
    LB Mike Woolf, Cov Cath
    RB Eugen Luke, Lloyd
    Two all around athlete players.
    Austin Collinsworth, Highlands
    David Wilson, Cov Cath

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 18
    Posts
    20

    Ryle’s Recent within the last 15 years all-Times IMO
    Tanner Morgan- QB
    Scott Gray - RB
    Vince Murray - FB
    Chris Brzinski -DT
    Travis Elliott - RB (would of broke Alexander’s records if it wasn’t for injury early in SR year)
    Jake Chilsom - RB
    Connor Hempel - QB
    Zach Zenvisky - S
    Tanner Teepen- DT
    Court Mace- MLB
    Khris Pridgen- DT
    Josh Lamping- S
    Adam Schmidts- RB
    Ross Uminger- K

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,569

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    How about Jacobs is the blocking TE and D Smith is the receiving TE. I would put money down that Smith had double the receiving TDs/yds.
    I would also say that the QB each played with is a significant part of that difference.

    I don't see how you leave either off the list.

Tags for this Thread

Top