Are the KHSAA football playoffs...

Page 3 of ...broken? From the Twitter account of Cincinnati FOX 19 sports anchor Joe Danneman: Cov Cath has now outscored it's first two playoff opponents 84-0 i... 83 comments | 2707 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    449

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Look what he is comparing too. An Ohio system that has 4 times the amount of teams that you can go undefeated and not get in the playoffs. Joe needs to stick to Ohio sports and let a real sportscaster worry about whats going on in Kentucky.
    Joe is not a "real sportscaster"? You serious Clark? Really?

    What's your beef?
    Advertisement
    Last edited by Jumper_Dad; Nov 11, 17 at 07:43 AM. Reason: R2

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    6

    The first two rounds of playoffs only good for 2 things and one good and one bad. 1 underclassmen getting some experience for the better team which is a positive for that Team. 2. Either team can be hit with a player sustaining a season ending injury and is that really how KY wants the playoffs decided if a great team gets a player hurt that could change the coarse of the playoff in a game that for all purposes is decided before it even starts. I think should stay 6 classes but fewer teams in playoffs!!! Just my 2cents

  3. #33
    rookie57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Location
    Mayfield
    Posts
    1,654

    I'm ok with the 6 classes, but I'm for only 2 teams make the playoffs, I don't care if the 3rd place team is 9-1, or 10-1, First and Second place only. I've heard the argument that these blowouts get the JV kids experience, and that is sometimes true. Mayfield got some kids experience tonight, but why would a coach bring down 42-0 at half not play his JV team SOME? Hancock played their varsity the whole game, I don't see where that benefits the backups.

  4. #34
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    28,066

    Are people not paying attention? There were a lot of really good football games tonight.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    449

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    There is a reason that 6 classes are the right number, I posted it a while back. Based on the size disparity in each class from the largest school to the smallest school Kentucky is in line with neighboring states along those lines.

    As far as number of classes goes 6 is relatively low, as many states even ones with smaller population than Kentucky have many more classes.

    Everyone gets worked up over blowouts but we have blowouts in every round even in the finals. The issue is that there are a some teams that take football seriously and many more that don't...those that do, beat the ever loving crap out of the ones that don't come playoff time.

    In a vacuum it looks really bad, but stepping out of our little bubble and comparing population bases vs classes and size disparity within classes to other states and you will see that Kentucky isn't as out of touch as many would have you believe with their incessant over reactions every year at this time of the year.
    All this tells me is there's a lot of crummy playoff football in other states too.

    Not a great reason to follow suit.

  6. #36
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    43,374

    Quote Originally Posted by Samcro View Post
    All this tells me is there's a lot of crummy playoff football in other states too.

    Not a great reason to follow suit.
    It's not about following suit, it's about having classes where there isn't a 75% or more difference in the sizes of schools within each class.

    When the KHSAA limits basketball, baseball, soccer and all other sports to less teams in the playoffs come see me, but as long as every other sport puts every single team in the playoff I think it's fine if most (but not all) get in from football.

  7. #37
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    30,182

    1A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 30.75 points

    2A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 26.875 points

    3A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 32.25 points

    4A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 30.375 points

    5A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 17.875 points

    6A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 19.75 points

  8. #38
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    30,182

    Out of 48 round 2 games played across 6 classes, there were 5 games that were decided by 1 touchdown or less.

  9. #39
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,171

    Margin of victory is usually brought up to show how lopsided, and perhaps, just how far apart the competition may be. But, there was something else that I noticed this year, that seemed to be much more prevalent than the past 2 or 3 years...and that's the number of shutouts. (Talking about the first round only.)

    I went back and looked...last year there were 12 shutouts, the year before that, 14. This year, there were 22. That seems likely a very high number to me, when you're only looking at 96 scores. Do we average that percentage on a weekly basis during the regular season?

    I guess, to me, it's one thing to lose by 40 points, and the score was 56-16. But, when it's 40-0, that means one team has absolutely nothing (both figuratively and literally) to show for their efforts.

  10. #40
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,265

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Out of 48 round 2 games played across 6 classes, there were 5 games that were decided by 1 touchdown or less.
    I guess people weren't paying attention. Those 5 games must be what VOR is talking about. People were too focused on the other 43 terrible games.

  11. #41
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    28,066

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    1A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 30.75 points

    2A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 26.875 points

    3A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 32.25 points

    4A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 30.375 points

    5A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 17.875 points

    6A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 19.75 points
    Margin of victory in 2006 round 2 (last year of 4 classes):

    1A average margin in round 2 = 18

    2A average margin in round 2 = 22

    3A average margin in round 2 = 16

    4A average margin in round 2 = 21


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Out of 48 round 2 games played across 6 classes, there were 5 games that were decided by 1 touchdown or less.
    In 2006, there were 8 round 2 games within 1 TD.

    In 1998, there 8 round 2 games within 1 TD.


    My point is - it wasn't much more competitive in the early rounds when it was just 4 classes. There were still a boatload of blowouts and lopsided games.
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; Nov 11, 17 at 08:53 AM.

  12. #42
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    28,066

    Question for everyone - how much impact is the prevalence of spread offenses and better passing games having on score differential?

    I believe it does have an impact. With the added passing, games are longer with more plays due to the clock stopping on incompletions. There are more big plays. I believe there are more points being scored, especially by the better teams.

  13. #43
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,265

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Margin of victory in 2006 round 2 (last year of 4 classes):

    1A average margin in round 2 = 18

    2A average margin in round 2 = 22

    3A average margin in round 2 = 16

    4A average margin in round 2 = 21




    In 2006, there were 8 round 2 games within 1 TD.

    In 1998, there 8 round 2 games within 1 TD.


    My point is - it wasn't much more competitive in the early rounds when it was just 4 classes. There were still a boatload of blowouts and lopsided games.
    I don't think you made your argument though. Average margin of victory in 2017 in round 2 is greater than a td more than in 2006 and 1 out 4 games played in 2006 resulted in a difference of 1 td compared to 1 out 10 yesterday. That is a huge difference.

  14. #44
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    28,066

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    I don't think you made your argument though. Average margin of victory in 2017 in round 2 is greater than a td more than in 2006 and 1 out 4 games played in 2006 resulted in a difference of 1 td compared to 1 out 10 yesterday. That is a huge difference.
    I agree. The margin is a little less. And I think part of that is attributed to offenses now versus offenses then. The main point is there weren't that many close competitive games then either. So let's blow up the current playoff structure so we can get 3 more competitive games in round 2?

    To me, this playoff consternation is a bunch of "in the good old days" thinking when the "good old days" really weren't that much different.

  15. #45
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,426

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Margin of victory in 2006 round 2 (last year of 4 classes):

    1A average margin in round 2 = 18

    2A average margin in round 2 = 22

    3A average margin in round 2 = 16

    4A average margin in round 2 = 21




    In 2006, there were 8 round 2 games within 1 TD.

    In 1998, there 8 round 2 games within 1 TD.


    My point is - it wasn't much more competitive in the early rounds when it was just 4 classes. There were still a boatload of blowouts and lopsided games.
    In 1998 and 2006 there were only 32 round 2 games also.

    8/32 = 25%
    5/48 = 10%

    I think that is a significant difference

Top