Answer me this......and then answer me this

  1. #1
    HighHopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    975

    Answer me this......and then answer me this

    Ok, maybe this is a silly/bad question, but maybe it's not. I want to know which region has gone the longest without producing a state champion. That may not be too difficult, so I have another question. Let's see if we can name the last Class A, AA, AAA, and AAAA from each region. I know, I know, it may be a bit tedious, but I guarantee that someone will have/find the answers and I'd also say that they'll surprise us. Besides, this will get everyone's mind off of the games that are a little over 24 hours away.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Class 4A
    1 ... Nelson County, 1996
    2 ... St. Xavier, 2004
    3 ... Trinity, 2003
    4 ... Clark County, 1991

    Class 3A
    1 ... Bowling Green, 1995
    2 ... Boyle County, 2003
    3 ... Highlands, 2004
    4 ... Bell County, 1991

    Class 2A
    1 ... Caldwell County, 1998
    2 ... Bardstown, 2001
    3 ... Boyle County, 2000
    4 ... Belfry, 2004

    Class A
    1 ... Mayfield, 2002
    2 ... Danville, 2003
    3 ... Beechwood, 2004
    4 ... Pikeville, 1989

  3. #3
    HighHopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    975

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Class 4A
    1 ... Nelson County, 1996
    2 ... St. Xavier, 2004
    3 ... Trinity, 2003
    4 ... Clark County, 1991

    Class 3A
    1 ... Bowling Green, 1995
    2 ... Boyle County, 2003
    3 ... Highlands, 2004
    4 ... Bell County, 1991

    Class 2A
    1 ... Caldwell County, 1998
    2 ... Bardstown, 2001
    3 ... Boyle County, 2000
    4 ... Belfry, 2004

    Class A
    1 ... Mayfield, 2002
    2 ... Danville, 2003
    3 ... Beechwood, 2004
    4 ... Pikeville, 1989
    So Class A Region 4 has the longest drought followed by Classes AAA, and AAAA from Region 4. Looks like we need to get better in these three classes.
    Thanks westsider for the information. I knew it wouldn't be too long before we got an answer.

  4. #4
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    32,871

    So in other words, Region 4 in almost every case, then Region 1. Which is a surprise to none.

  5. #5
    HighHopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    975

    Region 3 AA isn't represented too well as that one came from Boyle Co who went on to win three consecutive AAA titles.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 69
    Posts
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by HighHopes
    Besides, this will get everyone's mind off of the games that are a little over 24 hours away.
    That ALONE is a worthy enough reason to start this thread!

  7. #7
    Play 2 Win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    Washington, DC Area
    Posts
    2,537

    Quote Originally Posted by HighHopes
    Region 3 AA isn't represented too well as that one came from Boyle Co who went on to win three consecutive AAA titles.
    They may change this year

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by HighHopes
    Region 3 AA isn't represented too well as that one came from Boyle Co who went on to win three consecutive AAA titles.
    Bourbon County won in 1997, but they're 3A now, too. Then you have Danville's run before that.

    The geography has changed since then. The only teams in the current Region 3 with state titles are, the best I can tell, are Russell and Lloyd ... both of those were in 3A, and both were in the 1970s.

  9. #9
    HighHopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    975

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Bourbon County won in 1997, but they're 3A now, too. Then you have Danville's run before that.

    The geography has changed since then. The only teams in the current Region 3 with state titles are, the best I can tell, are Russell and Lloyd ... both of those were in 3A, and both were in the 1970s.
    I guess I should have stated the last time the ones currently in the regions and their current class. Still some interesting information I think.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    SE KY
    Posts
    2,013

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Class 4A
    1 ... Nelson County, 1996
    2 ... St. Xavier, 2004
    3 ... Trinity, 2003
    4 ... Clark County, 1991

    Class 3A
    1 ... Bowling Green, 1995
    2 ... Boyle County, 2003
    3 ... Highlands, 2004
    4 ... Bell County, 1991

    Class 2A
    1 ... Caldwell County, 1998
    2 ... Bardstown, 2001
    3 ... Boyle County, 2000
    4 ... Belfry, 2004

    Class A
    1 ... Mayfield, 2002
    2 ... Danville, 2003
    3 ... Beechwood, 2004
    4 ... Pikeville, 1989
    Middlesboro from Class A Region 4 in 1998

  11. #11
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,528

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Bourbon County won in 1997, but they're 3A now, too. Then you have Danville's run before that.

    The geography has changed since then. The only teams in the current Region 3 with state titles are, the best I can tell, are Russell and Lloyd ... both of those were in 3A, and both were in the 1970s.
    Lloyd has an A Title in the 60's as well...

  12. #12
    RNCSportsaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Posts
    1,783

    Quote Originally Posted by footballfever
    Middlesboro from Class A Region 4 in 1998
    Thats what I was thinking.

  13. #13
    HighHopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    975

    Quote Originally Posted by RNCSportsaholic
    Thats what I was thinking.
    I thought that Middlesboro was AA in 98, but I guess that I was wrong

  14. #14
    oneijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Ulysses, KY (a little nowhere between Paintsville and Louisa)
    Posts
    7,196

    Quote Originally Posted by footballfever
    Middlesboro from Class A Region 4 in 1998

    In westsider's defense... region 4 is the weakest link in his very substantial football knowledge base...

    Middlesboro was the last Region 4 1A Champion.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    I stand corrected ...

    Looking at the list, I just skipped over Middlesboro. Must be my anti-mountain, anti-Bell County bias.

    Honestly, I should have remembered ... I was there, and it was ugly for Mayfield that day.

Top