Alabama High School Coach Salaries

Page 4 of Originally Posted by Harry Doyle High dollar guys in Georgia, too. I'd challenge some of you to go to your local school systems board of ed and request... 55 comments | 4310 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,517

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Utah View Post
    Because the BOE of these school systems have set a max on what a coach can be paid if I were guessing. Head football coach in my county $9350, It doesn't matter if any of the schools are able to hire Bill Belichick, he is getting $9350.
    Thanks JU, that's exactly what I thought, but some keep saying a booster club COULD raise the money and put it out there when I kept saying no they can't or someone would have done it already.
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    415

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Utah View Post
    How can they make that a law (IF) there are no jobs available? I have mine, but chances are slim of getting an admin job. When one does open, between 75-100 people apply for the associate principal jobs in the county I am in. Its tough.
    Sorry, I should have said, if they get a masters in admin they have 5 years to get a job in admin. Otherwise they'll take your masters bump away.

  3. #48
    Johnny_Utah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    1365 Wichita Drive
    Posts
    824

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinGa View Post
    Sorry, I should have said, if they get a masters in admin they have 5 years to get a job in admin. Otherwise they'll take your masters bump away.
    WOW. Incredible, they don't do it here, you have 5 years once you take your admin tests to find a administrative position, or they require you to take more classes, but the end around on that is to wait on taking the tests. If you don't start the clock, they cant require you to do more.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    1,017

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    Thanks JU, that's exactly what I thought, but some keep saying a booster club COULD raise the money and put it out there when I kept saying no they can't or someone would have done it already.
    If boosters wanted to give the coach extra money, why would the BOE care. There is a cap in terms of what the district will give. That doesn't mean they won't let someone else pay more. It can be done. There just isn't anyone in Kentucky that is willing to throw that kind of money around right now, or needs to, in order to get a good coach.

  5. #50
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,517

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan08 View Post
    If boosters wanted to give the coach extra money, why would the BOE care. There is a cap in terms of what the district will give. That doesn't mean they won't let someone else pay more. It can be done. There just isn't anyone in Kentucky that is willing to throw that kind of money around right now, or needs to, in order to get a good coach.
    I still say it can't be done or it would have been done or would be going on right now. Sounds like the BOE sets the max, and that's it. And I would guess that's a state wide max, not district to district from the sounds of it.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan08 View Post
    If boosters wanted to give the coach extra money, why would the BOE care. There is a cap in terms of what the district will give. That doesn't mean they won't let someone else pay more. It can be done. There just isn't anyone in Kentucky that is willing to throw that kind of money around right now, or needs to, in order to get a good coach.
    Title IX plays a part here. Coaches have to be paid the same depending on classification of the sport. So cant pay boys basketball coach more than girls basketball coach. Can't pay football more than basketball if they are both tag as same level sport (in most cases they are).

  7. #52
    Johnny_Utah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    1365 Wichita Drive
    Posts
    824

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan08 View Post
    If boosters wanted to give the coach extra money, why would the BOE care. There is a cap in terms of what the district will give. That doesn't mean they won't let someone else pay more. It can be done. There just isn't anyone in Kentucky that is willing to throw that kind of money around right now, or needs to, in order to get a good coach.
    I am not saying you are wrong, but here is my position on it & I am coming from a multiple school system in one county.

    Here the BOE in our district that has more than one school has to attempt to keep everyone on the same page, all for 1 & 1 for all mentality. If they provide something to one school, they have to provide it to all the others as well & they do it by coaching caps & supplemental pay caps. If one school was tradition laced & had an overpowering booster club that could bring in big name head coaches & well known assistants, then their take is that the other schools would suffer if their booster club wasn't able to do the same, so they have tried to keep all the schools in the ballpark, for the lack of a better phrase.

    Boosters can want to do a lot of things, ultimately its the districts call on how things are done; what is built on their property, supplemental stipends, etc..... Our district puts a cap on how many coaches each team may have & does a breakdown of how much each coach can make (4 different levels of pay) that the head coach can decide on how they want to break that down. The district only pays for so many coaches (essentially) & if the head coach wants to completely fill out the coaching roster, then the booster club or the programs fundraising has to kick in for the remainder of the $$$$ AND this has to be done before the season, cant be done during or after.

    Example: Football is allowed 12 coaches. The district pays the entire supplemental stipend for the head coach $9350 & (4) assistants @ $4700 each. There are 4 levels of pay for assistant coaches ($4700, $3525, @2350, & $1175. The head coach is going to take that $18,800 & figure out what he wants to do with those funds that are provided by the BOE.

    If he wants to give his OC & DC a full $4700 share each, then he has $9400 to play with to give other coaches. Once he runs out of that $$$ if his coaching roster isn't full up to the max of 12 & he wants to add more coaches, then the booster club has to kick in the $$$ to make that possible.

    When times were hard with fundraising & boosters were not able to do much with the economy the way it was, I had coaches who would use the $18,800 to pay more than 4 coaches, BUT it had to be done within the limits of the 4 assistant pay scales I mentioned above. Not too many coaches would want to receive $1175 for basically an entire year of work, but I also remember my first assistant coaching gig only paid $788 bucks

    We were not in it for the $$$$ & the majority are not in it for that today. If schools are able to pay their coaches a high salary to coach, I am all for it, but with the way $$$ is looked @ in the educational system here in this state, that $$$ isnt going to come from the district & that goes back to the all for 1, one for all comment above, many multi-school districts are not going to let their balance get out of whack. Would be much much easier to do something of this nature in a single county school system, independent or private & I have no information on how those programs operate within their boundaries.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    415

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Utah View Post
    WOW. Incredible, they don't do it here, you have 5 years once you take your admin tests to find a administrative position, or they require you to take more classes, but the end around on that is to wait on taking the tests. If you don't start the clock, they cant require you to do more.
    The reason they gave was that we had a ton of people who were getting raises but it was not helping them in the classroom. Since they've passed this we're getting a lot more people with masters in curriculum or technology.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    415

    In Georgia it's up to each system on whether they want to allow boosters to pay extra or not. Thankfully, in my county they don't care which allows me to make more money. We're not allowed to request an extra stipend but if they cut us a check at the banquet I can just pocket the money. In the county above that has 6 high schools they only allow each booster club to give an extra $400 to each coach.

  10. #55
    Johnny_Utah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    1365 Wichita Drive
    Posts
    824

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    I still say it can't be done or it would have been done or would be going on right now. Sounds like the BOE sets the max, and that's it. And I would guess that's a state wide max, not district to district from the sounds of it.
    Each district sets their own max. Examples for football head coach:

    Jefferson Co. Public Schools is $7243,
    Jessamine County is $10,047
    Pikeville Independent is $7103-$9311 from years of experience

  11. #56
    Johnny_Utah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    1365 Wichita Drive
    Posts
    824

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinGa View Post
    The reason they gave was that we had a ton of people who were getting raises but it was not helping them in the classroom. Since they've passed this we're getting a lot more people with masters in curriculum or technology.
    That is wonderful for you. I guess my only concern would be that if the booster club is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt status group, they have to show all of the $$$ coming in & going out & where it is going. Would seem that if they were giving $$$ out that it would have to have taxes processed out of that. (been wrong before, it keeps me human)

Top