A Look Into "With A Spirit That Will Not Die"

Page 2 of http://news.kypostpreps.com/graphics...tss/index.html Pretty cool. Click on the play button in the bottom left-hand corner. There is audio as well. Not... 42 comments | 3219 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    NamecipS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,445

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsfan
    I think we're happy being who we are....
    16 sounds a lot better than 5, doesn't it?
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Retired From BGP
    Posts
    6,680

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsfan
    Yeah. That's why we all go around with "Beat Cov Cath" shirts on.


    I think we're happy being who we are....
    We used to wear those, but it got old after a while.

  3. #18
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,254

    With A Spirit That Will Not Die...

    I just got this off of Covington Catholic's Website

    It's awesome, and as a Covington Catholic fan / alumnus, it gave me chills.

    Watch this KY Post Special here:
    With A Spirit That Will Not Die!

  4. #19
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Those are some nice segments accurately portraying the pride both schools have in their programs and communities. I thought all the kids did great, although I am a little biased towards the first Highlands player.
    Thanks to the Post for doing these segments and there are other segments covering other schools. You should check them out. Great job Ky. Post.

  5. #20
    OldVeteran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Ky.
    Posts
    195

    That was good. Pride and Tradition, is one of the major reasons some football programs are good year after year. Part of why northern Ky. teams are good year after year. Those things are not developed in just a year or two. There are schools all over the state that take football serious, and have good programs, but NKY seems to be as good of a football area as any. This is why.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    North East Campbell County
    Posts
    69

    When it comes to school spirit, CovCath should be acknowledged and congratulated for definitely being at the top of the heap. There are times, however, when things go a little overboard.

    Last year, during warm-ups for the 9 to 0 game, the visiting student cheering section singled-out an important player on the home team and made their message clear. Calling him by first & last name: "Hey M. M. you ____, ____ you you you you" Probably about 40 to 50 participants, with fingers pointing and oscillating toward the player,as if their arms were connected to a common actuator. Now teen boys will be teen boys and similar things happen at many schools. Some are just so much more organized.

    Last month at the regional soccer final, a different member of the host school's football team got the razzin': "B.G. you ____, B.G. you ____" to a staccato beat. It could be heard loud and clear from in front of the VA hospital, 200 yard away.

    IMHO, calling an opponent by name and taunting with foul langage is over the line. If we are going to sing the praises, then let's acknowledge the opportunities. This is for parents, administrators and mentors to address everywhere.

    Now the GCL is known for great school spirit also. A few years back when big mo came to town, they hadn't the familiarity with our players to get on a personal level, so their cheering section simply generalized with the clever chant: "inbred, inbred, inbred". Am I naive to think it was directed at the home team only, or was it meant for all residents south of the Ohio River?

    The boy at the purple nation, however, may have been exposed to the right kind of leadership. At last year's encounter at PBS there was plenty of spirited support for the athletes and pride for the school - but vugarity free. During the late moments of a sound whuppin' they even offered kind advise to those wearing blue: "drive home safely, drive home safely".

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by First Musketeer
    When it comes to school spirit, CovCath should be acknowledged and congratulated for definitely being at the top of the heap. There are times, however, when things go a little overboard.

    Last year, during warm-ups for the 9 to 0 game, the visiting student cheering section singled-out an important player on the home team and made their message clear. Calling him by first & last name: "Hey M. M. you ____, ____ you you you you" Probably about 40 to 50 participants, with fingers pointing and oscillating toward the player,as if their arms were connected to a common actuator. Now teen boys will be teen boys and similar things happen at many schools. Some are just so much more organized.

    Last month at the regional soccer final, a different member of the host school's football team got the razzin': "B.G. you ____, B.G. you ____" to a staccato beat. It could be heard loud and clear from in front of the VA hospital, 200 yard away.

    IMHO, calling an opponent by name and taunting with foul langage is over the line. If we are going to sing the praises, then let's acknowledge the opportunities. This is for parents, administrators and mentors to address everywhere.

    Now the GCL is known for great school spirit also. A few years back when big mo came to town, they hadn't the familiarity with our players to get on a personal level, so their cheering section simply generalized with the clever chant: "inbred, inbred, inbred". Am I naive to think it was directed at the home team only, or was it meant for all residents south of the Ohio River?

    The boy at the purple nation, however, may have been exposed to the right kind of leadership. At last year's encounter at PBS there was plenty of spirited support for the athletes and pride for the school - but vugarity free. During the late moments of a sound whuppin' they even offered kind advise to those wearing blue: "drive home safely, drive home safely".

    Thanks for stating the obvious.

  8. #23
    BFritz21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Where Loyal Bengals fans lurk......
    Posts
    4,582

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    Thanks for stating the obvious.
    Same thing I was thinking. That time, I admit, that was Cov Cath getting out of hand, but usually, it's all peaceful until the opposing team starts in with cheers about things that are obviously false but said about an all-boys school, so Cov Cath fires back

  9. #24
    Birdsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Vetustior Humo!
    Posts
    62,362

    Quote Originally Posted by BFritz21
    Same thing I was thinking. That time, I admit, that was Cov Cath getting out of hand, but usually, it's all peaceful until the opposing team starts in with cheers about things that are obviously false but said about an all-boys school, so Cov Cath fires back
    You must never have been at a Cov Cath game. They start before they even get in the stadium!

    Last year, at our field, they organized in front of the school and then came in chanting their slogans. If we hadn't gotten out of the way in time, I think we would have gotten run over.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    Posts
    162

    Lex. Cath. may have the most obnoxious and foul mouthed fans in the state.

    Funny how the "religious" schools have a problem with the this more than the publics.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    North East Campbell County
    Posts
    69

    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHLANDS GUY
    Funny how the "religious" schools have a problem with the this more than the publics.
    Hey Highlands Guy, wonder if you get any "thanks for stating the obvious"?

  12. #27
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,254

    Quote Originally Posted by First Musketeer
    When it comes to school spirit, CovCath should be acknowledged and congratulated for definitely being at the top of the heap. There are times, however, when things go a little overboard.

    Last year, during warm-ups for the 9 to 0 game, the visiting student cheering section singled-out an important player on the home team and made their message clear. Calling him by first & last name: "Hey M. M. you ____, ____ you you you you" Probably about 40 to 50 participants, with fingers pointing and oscillating toward the player,as if their arms were connected to a common actuator. Now teen boys will be teen boys and similar things happen at many schools. Some are just so much more organized.

    Last month at the regional soccer final, a different member of the host school's football team got the razzin': "B.G. you ____, B.G. you ____" to a staccato beat. It could be heard loud and clear from in front of the VA hospital, 200 yard away.

    IMHO, calling an opponent by name and taunting with foul langage is over the line. If we are going to sing the praises, then let's acknowledge the opportunities. This is for parents, administrators and mentors to address everywhere.

    Now the GCL is known for great school spirit also. A few years back when big mo came to town, they hadn't the familiarity with our players to get on a personal level, so their cheering section simply generalized with the clever chant: "inbred, inbred, inbred". Am I naive to think it was directed at the home team only, or was it meant for all residents south of the Ohio River?

    The boy at the purple nation, however, may have been exposed to the right kind of leadership. At last year's encounter at PBS there was plenty of spirited support for the athletes and pride for the school - but vugarity free. During the late moments of a sound whuppin' they even offered kind advise to those wearing blue: "drive home safely, drive home safely".
    If you've been to multiple Cov Cath games, then you'll hear the "Drive home safely" cheer.

    I can assure you that Covington Catholic's faculty & staff are very conscience of what the students are saying & chanting, and have done everything in their power (including throwing out more than half of the student section at a basketball game) in order to uphold the reputation that CCH has built up over the years.

    I'd suggest that if you have a problem with any particular cheer that you e-mail or call someone at the school. I can assure you that the appropriate action(s) will be taken. Mike Clines (Principal), Charlie Hartman (Dean of Discipline) and Mike Guidugli (Assitant Principal) takes these matters very seriously, as they know that many people not affiliated with the school base an opinion, right or wrong, on how students & players act at sporting events.

  13. #28
    Offcentre67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    In one of the original centres of football power in the US
    Posts
    345

    Quote Originally Posted by First Musketeer
    Hey Highlands Guy, wonder if you get any "thanks for stating the obvious"?
    No, I guess just you, or we can thank him to if you'd like.

  14. #29
    Offcentre67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    In one of the original centres of football power in the US
    Posts
    345

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCrazy
    If you've been to multiple Cov Cath games, then you'll hear the "Drive home safely" cheer.

    I can assure you that Covington Catholic's faculty & staff are very conscience of what the students are saying & chanting, and have done everything in their power (including throwing out more than half of the student section at a basketball game) in order to uphold the reputation that CCH has built up over the years.

    I'd suggest that if you have a problem with any particular cheer that you e-mail or call someone at the school. I can assure you that the appropriate action(s) will be taken. Mike Clines (Principal), Charlie Hartman (Dean of Discipline) and Mike Guidugli (Assitant Principal) takes these matters very seriously, as they know that many people not affiliated with the school base an opinion, right or wrong, on how students & players act at sporting events.
    Those three definately know how to take care of business. First Musketeer while those incidences you speak of might have happened, I can almost guarantee that were ramifications to the entire student section or individuals.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    Posts
    162

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCrazy
    If you've been to multiple Cov Cath games, then you'll hear the "Drive home safely" cheer.

    I can assure you that Covington Catholic's faculty & staff are very conscience of what the students are saying & chanting, and have done everything in their power (including throwing out more than half of the student section at a basketball game) in order to uphold the reputation that CCH has built up over the years.

    I'd suggest that if you have a problem with any particular cheer that you e-mail or call someone at the school. I can assure you that the appropriate action(s) will be taken. Mike Clines (Principal), Charlie Hartman (Dean of Discipline) and Mike Guidugli (Assitant Principal) takes these matters very seriously, as they know that many people not affiliated with the school base an opinion, right or wrong, on how students & players act at sporting events.

    You can't be serious.

Top