A Highlands thread NOT about the coaches

Page 2 of I... 61 comments | 9460 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Bird Bath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Location
    Caketown
    Posts
    1,558

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    They need some linemen with size.
    . Agreed we just can’t grow them big enough LOL.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,139

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    Towles Sr. year they started using their TE towards the middle of the season. Great athlete. He had quite a few TDs if I remember correctly. They would have used the kid from Houliston's year if he hadn't injured his knee again. He had something like 4 catches in the 1st half of the Trinity scrimmage and looked like one of the better players on the field.
    The last two times Highlands utilized the TE was Brandon Roller jr yr and Jack Tellack the kid you are referring to.

    Both big physical TE and both ended their football seasons with ACL injuries while running drag routes...

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    311

    The D line should be very solid with Sisson and Lewin returning as impact players. Look for Dierig, Zell, Downard to all be in the rotation. I would save Salmon for O line. They NEED his consistency and skill there. The LB core returns (i think) 7 guys who started at some point last year. Hudy, Bowman, Starkey, and Delgrange is going to be a VERY athletic group to get past. Armstrong, Brass, and Greene will all be returning starters in the secondary. Cramer at QB will be as good as anybody in NKY with a HUGE arm. This will be the biggest receiving core you've seen at HHS in a while. Roberts, King, and Ahfeld are not the typical short quick receivers you expect to see with the birds. They are big strong and athletic. Nate Roberts is as tough after the catch as anybody. King is just Mr. consistency with great hands, and Ahfeld will be the sleeper who catches people by surprise (if you haven't seen him before). For those who talk about the "sacrifice" players don't make anymore, Ahfeld is a CRAZY athlete who went to safety last year because that's where the team needed him... These young birds are LOADED with talent and have the work ethic to go along with it.

  4. #19
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,522

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020BirdDad View Post
    The D line should be very solid with Sisson and Lewin returning as impact players. Look for Dierig, Zell, Downard to all be in the rotation. I would save Salmon for O line. They NEED his consistency and skill there. The LB core returns (i think) 7 guys who started at some point last year. Hudy, Bowman, Starkey, and Delgrange is going to be a VERY athletic group to get past. Armstrong, Brass, and Greene will all be returning starters in the secondary. Cramer at QB will be as good as anybody in NKY with a HUGE arm. This will be the biggest receiving core you've seen at HHS in a while. Roberts, King, and Ahfeld are not the typical short quick receivers you expect to see with the birds. They are big strong and athletic. Nate Roberts is as tough after the catch as anybody. King is just Mr. consistency with great hands, and Ahfeld will be the sleeper who catches people by surprise (if you haven't seen him before). For those who talk about the "sacrifice" players don't make anymore, Ahfeld is a CRAZY athlete who went to safety last year because that's where the team needed him... These young birds are LOADED with talent and have the work ethic to go along with it.
    Pretty good analysis but you forgot Mason Schwalbach who gained extremely valuable minutes at LB as a 10th grader. The kid has a nose for the ball and will likely be in the mix with those other athletic backers.

    Ahlfeld can be a game changer for the Birds if they move him back to offense which is highly likely. I actually think he could be a 2 way starter along with Huddy. They will be 2 of the best Jr's in NKY.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    311

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Pretty good analysis but you forgot Mason Schwalbach who gained extremely valuable minutes at LB as a 10th grader. The kid has a nose for the ball and will likely be in the mix with those other athletic backers.

    Ahlfeld can be a game changer for the Birds if they move him back to offense which is highly likely. I actually think he could be a 2 way starter along with Huddy. They will be 2 of the best Jr's in NKY.
    Couldn’t agree more about Mason!

  6. #21

  7. #22
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    912

    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Bath View Post
    One thing is certain, letís stop the TE talk until they use it correctly. I have been clamoring for a TE drag across the middle for years. Give me one that knows how to block too folks. I believe they do have kids that can play that role but will the OC make the transition.
    Hmmmm I wonder if Huddy would be good at blocking???

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    423

    My 2 cents...

    As someone that has coached many of these kids over the years I think they have a bunch of pieces in place. If they can get a lineman or two to hit a growth spurt in the off season, it would really help with the depth and I think this team could be special.

    IMO, they are in good shape at...

    Offense
    QB with Krammer and JV Starter Hergott
    RB with Cooper and maybe soph Buten along with Bowling and Depp??? I'd like to see Bowman back at RB again but with him being the kicker, I don't think they'd risk it.
    WR's with Roberts, Huddy, Ahlfeld and King (Also Brune & Deshler)
    Ends with Sisson, Dierg
    Kicker with 3 year starter Bowman

    Defense
    D-line with Sisson's length on the outside with help from King on the other side would be monster sized bookends at OLB. You also have Conner Zell that will help if he can put on weight. You have Lewin, and Downard on the inside can really cause problems
    LB's should be absolutely loaded with Huddy anchoring and Bowman, Mason, Coop, Hagis, Starkey, Hagedorn
    DB/S have good depth this year with Sr hard hitting Armstrong back and you will have JR's Braas and Ahlfeld hoping teams throw it deep along with Sr Casey Greene, and multiple JR's that can step in at any given time.

    Save the best for last...The boys in the trenches!
    O-Line/D-line
    Anchoring the line you have Sr's Trent Johnson You will also have Sr Will Salmon and then JR's Turner, Huber, and Dierg that are all looking to have breakout seasons.

    I really hope we see numerous kids going both ways this year. The time is NOW. I could see 5-6 kids going both ways this year, not every play but at multiple times during the year to help as needed.

    I'm hoping they all get bigger, faster, stronger in the off-season and come out healthy and ready to fight! I'm sure I'm missing a couple of guys. I didn't mean to leave anyone out, just my thoughts. Good luck in 2018! #NEWCULTURE , #STATE18

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    61

    Huddy is good at whatever he does. Would be a waste to have him block, because he is really good with the ball in his hands. Really Good.
    Siple

  10. #25
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    912

    If they don't go 2 ways this year, at least with some players, the townspeople will go beyond restless. If they have a sub-par year and do not go two ways more than one or two guys my guess would be BW would be sent packing before the season is over. My prediction, not calling for it.

  11. #26
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    912

    Quote Originally Posted by goford View Post
    Huddy is good at whatever he does. Would be a waste to have him block, because he is really good with the ball in his hands. Really Good.
    Siple
    Yeah, there is a TE for New England named Gronk. that is what I am thinking for Huddy. Split him out, do whatever. If you need 2 yards against Cov Cath in the playoffs and youre giving it to Schwabach would you want Huddy blocking?

  12. #27
    THUNDERBIRDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Keeping the S.C.I.T. in check...
    Posts
    4,044

    Be nice to have kids like Prince Baker & Big "E" right now still involved......Is Andre Hall not playing anymore? We have to keep these kids interested. Someone or something is "FAILING" miserably. You hear the saying.....I left money on the Table! Guess what? These Three kids are difference makers....Period!

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    99

    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERBIRDS View Post
    Be nice to have kids like Prince Baker & Big "E" right now still involved......Is Andre Hall not playing anymore? We have to keep these kids interested. Someone or something is "FAILING" miserably. You hear the saying.....I left money on the Table! Guess what? These Three kids are difference makers....Period!
    I would imagine it’s hard to keep kids like “Big E” and Prince interested in playing football when they don’t even go to hhs anymore...

  14. #29
    THUNDERBIRDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Keeping the S.C.I.T. in check...
    Posts
    4,044

    Quote Originally Posted by Collar7 View Post
    I would imagine it’s hard to keep kids like “Big E” and Prince interested in playing football when they don’t even go to hhs anymore...
    Oh ok....But they did and both were in the Football program at one time.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    311

    Any chance huddy goes in the backfield and they run a 2 back set??? huddy and Schwalbach back there together with king, ahfeld, and Roberts at WR... good luck to the D against that one.

Top