Three unbeaten teams remain in Class 6A. Trinity and St. Xavier meet this Friday guaranteeing one fewer undefeated teams next week. Simon Kenton hosts Class A #1 power Beechwood.
In Class 6A Poll threads last week, the BluegrassPreps faithful were 4-1. This brings the season total to 36 of 41 or 87.8%. Henderson County (2-4) thrashed Ohio County (5-1)48-0. The Eagles win streak came to an abrupt halt as predicted by the BluegrassPreps voters.Simon Kenton (6-0) rallied late to defeat Highlands (2-4) 35-30. Male dispatched Butler 35-6. St. Xavier handled Pleasure Ridge Park 35-21. In the only game BluegrassPreps voters missed, Conner(3-2) surprised Newport Central Catholic (3-3) 35-27.
The feature games this week include #12 Campbell County (3-2) vs. Mt. Healthy (OH) (2-3); #7 Ryle (4-1) vs. Cathedral (IN) (2-4); #8 Butler (4-2) vs. #9 Manual (3-2); #4 Male (5-1) vs. #5 Pleasure Ridge Park (4-1); #1 Trinity (6-0) vs. #2 St. Xavier (5-0) at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium. Please see game threads with polls for more details.
Other Class 6A games of note:
3. Scott County (4-2) at Henry Clay (2-3): The Cardinals should roll in this one. The 48-0 opening game loss to Tates Creek by the Blue Devils is difficult to overlook. Scott County has scored less than 28 points one time in 2017, a 28-14 loss at La Salle (OH) in Cincinnati.
5. Pleasure Ridge Park at #4 Male: The Panthers will try to bounce back from the 35-21 loss versus #2 St. Xavier. PRP quarterback B.J. Robinson passed for 356 yards and one touchdown against the Tigers. Senior wide receiver Shannon Bishop was on the receiving end of 5 of Robinson’s throws for 188 yards. In the 35-6 win over Butler, Male as a team, rushed for 264 yards and passed for another 144 yards. Male has dominated the series in recent history including a 46-3 victory in 2016.
6. Simon Kenton at 1A #1 Beechwood (4-1): This could be a dangerous game for the Pioneers. Scoring 14 points in the final 2:36 of the game was an outstanding effort. The Tigers may prove to be a more difficult squad to defeat at home. Beechwood’s only loss was to 5A #1 Covington Catholic. Simon Kenton’s senior QB Matt Shearer played a part in all five touchdowns versus Highlands. He passed for three scores and ran for two more, including the game winner with 14 seconds left in the game.
7. Ryle vs. Cathedral (IN) will be seen on ESPNU at 8PM on Friday. This is an outstanding opportunity for the Raiders to promote themselves on a national scale. This is a three-hour advertisement for Northern Kentucky and the City of Union. The Cathedral Fighting Irish boast an excellent football tradition from Indianapolis. A victory in this game by Ryle will add to the reputation of Kentucky high school football.
10. Ballard (3-3) at Seneca (0-5): The Bruins are coming off a 20-14 win over Eastern (2-3). The Redhawks suffered a 42-0 setback to Manual. Seneca has scored 22 points in their 5 games while allowing 210 points.
11. Douglass (4-1) vs. Bryan Station (0-5): The Douglass Broncos are on a four game winning streak since their opening 36-0 defeat at the hands of Danville to open the season. The 51 player Broncos roster includes 6 freshmen and 16 seniors as the school looks to turn some heads in their inaugural season. During the win streak, Douglass is scoring 44 points per game while allowing 13 points per contest. Bryan Station is winless in 5 games this season. They are allowing 51 points per game while scoring 13 points per game.
13. Tates Creek (4-1) at 2A #1 Danville (6-0): The Commodores only loss came at the hands of Douglass 49-22 in the second game of the season. Tates Creek has allowed 19 points in their four victories while scoring 151. The Admirals have been tested twice in 2017. Boyle dropped a 10-7 decision and Waggener fell 49-46 to Danville. The 2A school has a great deal of football tradition and will be favored to win this matchup.