4A #10 Ashland vs. 6A Tates Creek

Page 2 of Ashland saw their six game winning streak snapped by an inspired Johnson Central team that seems hellbent on finishing the job this season. Ashland sta... 42 comments | 1876 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ashland

    7 36.84%
  • Tates Creek

    12 63.16%
  1. #16

    Join Date
    May 12
    Posts
    565

    Quote Originally Posted by 15th Region View Post
    Ashland has beaten JC only once in the last 11 years:
    2006: Johnson Central 35-7
    2006: Johnson Central 28-21 (Playoffs; 2nd Round)
    2007: Johnson Central 67-33
    2008: Johnson Central 41-6
    2009: Johnson Central 29-28
    2010: Johnson Central 42-26
    2011: Ashland Blazer 22-6
    2012: Johnson Central 22-21 (Overtime)
    2013: Johnson Central 42-7
    2014: Johnson Central 42-7
    2015: Johnson Central 8-7
    2016: Johnson Central 43-6
    11=8 or so?
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    10,197

    Tates Creek is far from a physical team that should beat you up.

    If anything I would say Tates Creek is the dream matchup you would want to end your season if you want to be challenged but don't want your starters banged up. If this were Scott County or Conner who like playing a phsyical brand of football I could see the argument, but Tates Creek will be happy airing it out and playing finesse and their Defense isn't exactly full of 6'3 210 LB's flying around busting heads.

  3. #18
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    10,197

    Ashland doesn't have anyone who can cover Beerman and Gentry as a tandem

    Tates Creek 38
    Ashland 24

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    507

    So, does anyone know if Ashland is going to sit their starters? That will play a big roll in my decision making. Not to say that I'm going to root for TC, it's just that I believe it will be a more competitive game. Someone mentioned to me the other day that Roberts and one of the Wright brothers have not practiced due to injury. In info on that as well?

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    505

    Why sit starters? They aren't beating JC in a few weeks.

  6. #21
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,278

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    Tates Creek is far from a physical team that should beat you up.

    If anything I would say Tates Creek is the dream matchup you would want to end your season if you want to be challenged but don't want your starters banged up. If this were Scott County or Conner who like playing a phsyical brand of football I could see the argument, but Tates Creek will be happy airing it out and playing finesse and their Defense isn't exactly full of 6'3 210 LB's flying around busting heads.
    Dead on balls accurate.

  7. #22
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,278

    Quote Originally Posted by Carson Palmer View Post
    Why sit starters? They aren't beating JC in a few weeks.
    It's a defeatist attitude IMO. If you are going to shy away from the competition, then why schedule them to start with?

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    507

    All I'm saying is that it would have helped a little last year. Same "far from a physical team" that we played last year.

  9. #24
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,278

    Quote Originally Posted by Youngbloods View Post
    All I'm saying is that it would have helped a little last year. Same "far from a physical team" that we played last year.
    Injuries happen and they can come no matter the competition.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    507

    True... but I'm just justifying where others have spoken out.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    507

    Quote Originally Posted by Carson Palmer View Post
    Why sit starters? They aren't beating JC in a few weeks.
    Anybody can beat anybody on a given night...

  12. #27

    Join Date
    May 12
    Posts
    565

    Have JC and Belfry rested starters in their final week game the last two years? Would this be similar? I realize they may have better odds but the fact that they tried to hedge whatever odds they had would be similar reasoning.

  13. #28
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    10,197

    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Have JC and Belfry rested starters in their final week game the last two years? Would this be similar? I realize they may have better odds but the fact that they tried to hedge whatever odds they had would be similar reasoning.
    Belfry and JC have not rested any starters as far as I know

    With that said, both teams have been cautious with injured players in recent years. Belfry was without six starters two years ago and last season Johnson Central was down 2 or 3 starters.

    Both teams subsequently missed the majority of those players during their First Round Playoff game as well.

  14. #29
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    7,606

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    Belfry and JC have not rested any starters as far as I know

    With that said, both teams have been cautious with injured players in recent years. Belfry was without six starters two years ago and last season Johnson Central was down 2 or 3 starters.

    Both teams subsequently missed the majority of those players during their First Round Playoff game as well.
    The bolded stands out to me. The word cautious can have many different meanings, as far as coach speak goes. Those players not playing in a non district game could have very well been injured, or they could have been resting them do to a sore shoulder, etc. The same with the first round playoff game, the playoffs are watered down from what they once were, so if your a number one seed, you may as well sit anyone that isn't 110 percent in the opening round.

    Last season Johnson Central and Ashland played in an absolute war prior to the Johnson Central/Belfry game. It was a hard hitting, defensive battle. No doubt in my mind that some kids were beat up and bruised in that one. The game ended in an 8-7 win for Johnson Central. While Johnson Central "cautiously" rested some players in the former game versus Belfry, they cruised on to Bowling Green. Ashland on the other hand didn't "cautiously" rest players versus Tates Creek, which led to multiple injuries in that game.

    Basically you can look at it any number of ways. But I just don't see the reasoning behind having two tough teams to play, back to back, just prior to the playoffs. If you have to play a tough team to end your district schedule, that will work just fine to get you ready for your playoffs IMO. But rather than scheduling an out of district game against a tough opponent just afterwards, why not try and schedule that game around mid season?

  15. #30

    Join Date
    May 12
    Posts
    565

    One mans trash is another mans treasure

Top