3A Russell vs. 3A Waggener

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Russell

    16 88.89%
  • Waggener

    2 11.11%
  1. #1
    GOREDDEVILS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Home of the 2005 Class 2A Football State Champs!!!!!!
    Posts
    6,467

    3A Russell vs. 3A Waggener

    Thoughts?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    sidelinedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    Sidelines
    Posts
    7,148

    Russell wins and returns to the Region Championship game.

  3. #3
    GOREDDEVILS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Home of the 2005 Class 2A Football State Champs!!!!!!
    Posts
    6,467

    Russell hopes they can get Landon Duvall back Friday per Coach Maynard.

  4. #4
    GOREDDEVILS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Home of the 2005 Class 2A Football State Champs!!!!!!
    Posts
    6,467

    From what film I've seen on Waggener, they run out of the shotgun like Russell does.

    Also just a side note, The Waggener/West Carter game was only 13-6 Waggener at the start of the 4th quarter.

  5. #5
    DevilMayCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    4,080

    Waggener is usually very athletic. Russell will probably be at a big disadvantage there. The Devils will have to be disciplined in their assignments and avoid any major coverage or assignment breakdowns. Offensively, be physical at the line of scrimmage and mix in the pass enough to keep them off balance.

    Waggener feels like a dangerous team, especially if you do things to make their job easier for them. I'm glad this one's at home. A long bus ride is no fun this time of year, unless you're going to Kroger Field.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    300

    Quote Originally Posted by GOREDDEVILS View Post
    From what film I've seen on Waggener, they run out of the shotgun like Russell does.

    Also just a side note, The Waggener/West Carter game was only 13-6 Waggener at the start of the 4th quarter.
    It was 13-6 with 7 minutes left to go in the 4th quarter. West Carter had a terrible game on offense. Dropped balls, penalties, and turnovers.

    I think Russell will win.

  7. #7
    DevilMayCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    4,080

    Quote Originally Posted by farawaycomet2 View Post
    It was 13-6 with 7 minutes left to go in the 4th quarter. West Carter had a terrible game on offense. Dropped balls, penalties, and turnovers.

    I think Russell will win.
    Those last seven minutes must have been a nightmare for the score to end up so lopsided.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    300

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
    Those last seven minutes must have been a nightmare for the score to end up so lopsided.
    Waggner had a scoring drive and West Carter fumbled on their own 20 on two straight possessions and then a quick 3 and out.

  9. #9
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,219

    Sickles and Jones are two incredible athletes for Waggener. They are a draw-it-up-in-the-sand street brawling kind of team that can break one at any moment. They get frustrated when they get behind.

  10. #10
    Carson Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    576

    Russell wins.

  11. #11
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,316

    Russell has really been playing good football the past four or five weeks.

    Waggener has one of the more underrated players in the State in RB Brandon Jones. He is a load and runs hard. I was probably as impressed by him as much as Jairus Brents or Tahj Rice last year.

    The key to this game will be how Russell can manage Jones. He is not really a home run threat as much as a guy who will kill you with 7-10 yard gains and the occasional 20+ burst. If Russell can keep Jones bottled up I think the Devils have a legit chance of reaching a Regional Finals game against Central.

  12. #12
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,490

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearsay View Post
    Sickles and Jones are two incredible athletes for Waggener. They are a draw-it-up-in-the-sand street brawling kind of team that can break one at any moment. They get frustrated when they get behind.
    Add to the above a long road trip across the state to face a quality opponent makes me think that even though Waggener is capable of winning, I'd expect Russell to by a couple of touchdowns.

  13. #13
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    The Other Side of the Tracks ....
    Posts
    38,584

    After a rough start to the season, Coach Maynard has had his team playing well. I look for Russell to be focused and get the W.

  14. #14
    sidelinedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    Sidelines
    Posts
    7,148

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Add to the above a long road trip across the state to face a quality opponent makes me think that even though Waggener is capable of winning, I'd expect Russell to by a couple of touchdowns.
    I am not being argumentative with you but this comment always blows my mind. The long bus ride should not affect 16-19 year old athletes. It affects us 50 year old's with bad knees and backs that ride with them. LOL I am of the opinion that long bus rides being blamed for bad play or losing is just an excuse.

  15. #15
    sidelinedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    Sidelines
    Posts
    7,148

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    After a rough start to the season, Coach Maynard has had his team playing well. I look for Russell to be focused and get the W.
    I doubt many of the Russell fans thought they'd be favored to win game #8 and a chance of playing a home game for the Region Championship after game #3 this year. Great job coaching and an even better job of kids buying into what they were being taught and going out and producing.

Top