3 Class System

Page 2 of Less Travel, Easier Scheduling, Better competition BIG CLASS A Pictures, A Images, A Photos, A Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sha... 168 comments | 8077 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    117

    Those teams could always petition to play up. Trinity is the only one that is a different animal. I don't think the structure of the entire football class system should reflect needs that in reality, only Trinity has.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    117

    The key phrase in your post is "current districts". Outside of district play, scheduling has become a nightmare in this state. Teams are traveling crazy distances. Having these large, geographic based districts solves that problem.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Posts
    37,668

    If you want to cut the class size down to 3, why not have 16 districts instead of 8?

    You can have the same number of playoff teams as you choose, and it would give them some flexibility in their scheduling.

  4. #19
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,669

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
    The key phrase in your post is "current districts". Outside of district play, scheduling has become a nightmare in this state. Teams are traveling crazy distances. Having these large, geographic based districts solves that problem.
    Teams can choose to travel those distances or not currently based on their scheduling...in this proposal Johnson Central (For example) would have a 3 hour bus trip one way for nearly every district game.

    Again I applaud what you are striving for. The geography of our state (long and slim) and the lack of an equal dispersion of schools of all classes statewide, just still leaves many scheduling issues that are probably better handled by the AD and Coaches and not a mandatory 9 or 10 game scheduling grid. That four hour bus ride from Monroe Co. to Fulton would be horrible. Monroe Co. would have to leave at noon for just about every away game on their schedule. I'll guarantee they aren't currently scheduling teams as far away as Fulton, Fulton Co, Mayfield or Ballard Memorial...those would all be around 8 hours of bus time round trip.

  5. #20
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,847

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBuckett View Post
    I would not be a fan of 3 Class system. This makes it impossible for some programs ever making the playoffs. Three is to small and 6 is to big. I am not sure what the answer is but it is somewhere between those two numbers.
    I agree Coach. I think 5 is the right number with the biggest class being limited to 32 teams like it is now. Then divide the remaining teams into 4 equally sized classes.

  6. #21
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,847

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
    The biggest districts actually only have 11 (that way everyone can play each team)

    I think less playoff teams is a good thing. Makes regular season mean more, eliminates the crazy blowouts and painful travel of the first round, and makes it clear that making the playoffs is a reward for an accomplishment (not a given based on how many teams are in your district)
    No matter what you do with classes and alignments, there will always be blowouts. Last year state semis:

    Male 50 Central Hardin 0
    South Warren 36 Shelby County 6
    Belfry 42 Corbin 14
    Lex Cath 35 Elizabethtown 14

    That is the semi's. If we go back one round, I am sure there will be more blowouts. There are blowouts in the championship games. Blowouts are no reason to change class structure.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,497

    Quote Originally Posted by Pick-six View Post
    And how does that help football? Are we trying to get the season over faster for basketball? Every year we drag these posts up and argue over which class system is better (3,4,5,6 etc...). It is obvious that the KHSAA is set on keeping it at 6 classes. Schools are polled and asked their opinions and most seem to favor the current set up. Why do we continue to beat this poor dead horse??????
    Thanksgiving weekend championships used to be awesome. Better attendance because many working families were already off and available for those Friday games. But, I am an oldtimer, and to quote a friend.."the older I get, the better I use to be."

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    117

    Saying no matter what you do with class structure there will be blowouts and then using scores from the current, 6 class system to illustrate your point seems like circular logic. If you cut the class structure in half and reduce the number of playoff teams to 16 per class (or 8 if you want), it seems clear that the competition level will increase.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    117

    Some of those issues are due to the limits of my geographical knowledge. Would love for posters with regional familiarity to clean up my districts, especially the east and western districts of the lower classes.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    117

    This is a good idea.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    117

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    If you want to cut the class size down to 3, why not have 16 districts instead of 8?

    You can have the same number of playoff teams as you choose, and it would give them some flexibility in their scheduling.
    Love it.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Location
    Cincinnati (in body); Louisville (in heart)
    Posts
    1,376

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I agree Coach. I think 5 is the right number with the biggest class being limited to 32 teams like it is now. Then divide the remaining teams into 4 equally sized classes.
    Voice of Reason, you've more than earned your name with this post.

  13. #28
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,847

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
    Saying no matter what you do with class structure there will be blowouts and then using scores from the current, 6 class system to illustrate your point seems like circular logic. If you cut the class structure in half and reduce the number of playoff teams to 16 per class (or 8 if you want), it seems clear that the competition level will increase.
    I used games from the semifinals. I could even use games from the finals. All those teams would be in the playoffs if you had 2 classes. Blowouts happen.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    117

    I consider a blowout a running clock situation. Most of those games were not like that.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    286

    More State Championship games, More $$$

Top