1A Kentucky Country Day at 1A #1 Beechwood (2nd Round)

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • #1 Beechwood

    28 96.55%
  • KCD

    1 3.45%
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    510

    1A Kentucky Country Day at 1A #1 Beechwood (2nd Round)

    This is a rematch of last year’s Regional Final at KCD. The Tigers defeated The Bearcats 35-14 in a very entertaining game till Beechwood pulled away in the 4th quarter. This game last year was the closest 1A contest the eventual State Champs faced. Can KCD have a repeat performance and test this year’s Tigers team? Did last year’s Senior class departing from KCD make the gap between these teams larger? What are the thoughts?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,599

    Running clock.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    510

    I believe Beechwood will get the victory in this matchup. I seen KCD play earlier in the season and don’t believe they are near as good as they were last year. While I believe Beechwood has a few weaker spots this year as opposed to last year but their drop off isn’t as significant. It will be a 3rd quarter running clock imo...... but any given Friday night could be your last. GO TIGERS!!!!!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    343

    Quote Originally Posted by BWTigers View Post
    I believe Beechwood will get the victory in this matchup. I seen KCD play earlier in the season and don’t believe they are near as good as they were last year. While I believe Beechwood has a few weaker spots this year as opposed to last year but their drop off isn’t as significant. It will be a 3rd quarter running clock imo...... but any given Friday night could be your last. GO TIGERS!!!!!
    Where do you think Beechwood is weaker? I think they are solid up front on both sides of the ball. Only difference may be in the middle on defense with Derry out and maybe at DB but stat wise they are pretty close. I think they have more overall talent but seem to get bored at times.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    510

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwtigerpaw View Post
    Where do you think Beechwood is weaker? I think they are solid up front on both sides of the ball. Only difference may be in the middle on defense with Derry out and maybe at DB but stat wise they are pretty close. I think they have more overall talent but seem to get bored at times.
    Only 2 areas. Derry being injuriedis hurting this team’s overall greatness. He brings a toughness that the backups for him just don’t have. The second area I think is weaker than last year is at QB. Last year Beechwood had a seasoned vet (3 year starter) while this year Cam is still a little wet behind the ears. Overall Cam May have more areas of strength than Brayden but he is still young and just needs more time to grow and he will get that in a year or 2. Nothing against Cam because he has consistently grown each week but he just isn’t to the level of Brayden from last year.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Posts
    10,800

    Quote Originally Posted by BWTigers View Post
    Only 2 areas. Derry being injuriedis hurting this team’s overall greatness. He brings a toughness that the backups for him just don’t have. The second area I think is weaker than last year is at QB. Last year Beechwood had a seasoned vet (3 year starter) while this year Cam is still a little wet behind the ears. Overall Cam May have more areas of strength than Brayden but he is still young and just needs more time to grow and he will get that in a year or 2. Nothing against Cam because he has consistently grown each week but he just isn’t to the level of Brayden from last year.
    To add to this, the skill players this year are good, but not nearly as good as last year. Castleman has done great filling in for Davis, but there's no-one filling Castleman's spot on the edge. You also don't have a player, or players, to match Mescher's skill set from last year. On the defensive side, you don't have a shut down corner in McKinney.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    510

    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212 View Post
    To add to this, the skill players this year are good, but not nearly as good as last year. Castleman has done great filling in for Davis, but there's no-one filling Castleman's spot on the edge. You also don't have a player, or players, to match Mescher's skill set from last year. On the defensive side, you don't have a shut down corner in McKinney.
    I think Odom and Williams have done a tremendous job filling in for McKinney and Massie. Williams has been injured the last couple weeks but when he comes back I think we are just as strong at corner this year. The loss of Mescher was big but Birindelli has fit into his offense and defensive roll nicely. While we don’t kick a lot of FG’s, Graman has been improving his leg week to week.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    343

    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212 View Post
    To add to this, the skill players this year are good, but not nearly as good as last year. Castleman has done great filling in for Davis, but there's no-one filling Castleman's spot on the edge. You also don't have a player, or players, to match Mescher's skill set from last year. On the defensive side, you don't have a shut down corner in McKinney.
    Last year Burch really only threw to Mescher and Castleman. This year they are involving the tight end and all three receivers, and they are starting to include the full back who is pretty athletic. So you have 5 receiver options that are all a threat to score and do some damage, which makes it tough to defend. Plus Cam is a huge threat to run, which Beechwood did not have last year. On defense of course the secondary is not quite as strong but they are pretty good. Have picked off 14 passes so far and last year BW finished with 18. I think this team will only keepngetting better over the next few weeks.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    The Sandbox
    Posts
    179

    Beechwood plays anyone an everyone in this matchup!

  10. #10
    EyeOfTheTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 12
    Posts
    1,080

    Finally back to some football. That first round bye makes it feel like a month since Beechwood played. It is fun seeing Kentucky Country Day again. They may have been the second best team in 1A last year. That was Beechwood's most difficult playoff game. They lost so many key players that I wasn't sure what they would be like this year. Good for their coaches and players putting together a solid season in a year where they had to completely rebuild their lineup. I remember being impressed with Country Day's RB Blake Caldwell last year.

    The Tigers are chomping at the bit to get back to football. There is a big size advantage to Beechwood. I expect the Tigers to run the ball early and often to set the tone in this game and to ease their young QB into playoff action. It should be a good night for Beechwood.

Top