Up coming players.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    6

    Up coming players.

    Freshman player for the new season to look out for Lance paul ( Ryle High )
    Kings Hammer player
    ODP KY state
    ODP Regional.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    148

    On the boy's side it is difficult for a freshman to make an impact in the varsity games against good competition. Size, strength, physicality, intensity is much different then the U14-15 club level, even the top MRL division where you only go up against kids your same age, similar size and strenght.
    And taking nothing away from his ODP accomplishments, making the ODP regional team is nice, but ever since the DAs came on board, the ODP programs have been severly watered down.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,402

    I agree with both points made above, it is unusual for a freshman to make a big impact at the varsity level.

    I would also advocate that we wait and see if he plays substantial minutes at the Varsity level rather than relying on the opinion of @Soccerking.

    As for ODP, making the Regional squad is a nice accomplishment. As recent as a few years ago, they typically took about 22-26 kids, sometimes slightly more. This past season there were over 100 players named to the Region II pool, I have no insight as to why there has been such an increase in numbers but I do not see how this can be a good thing.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    1,355

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Card View Post
    I agree with both points made above, it is unusual for a freshman to make a big impact at the varsity level.

    I would also advocate that we wait and see if he plays substantial minutes at the Varsity level rather than relying on the opinion of @Soccerking.

    As for ODP, making the Regional squad is a nice accomplishment. As recent as a few years ago, they typically took about 22-26 kids, sometimes slightly more. This past season there were over 100 players named to the Region II pool, I have no insight as to why there has been such an increase in numbers but I do not see how this can be a good thing.
    I've only seen one freshman have a real impact at varsity level in recent years and that was Luke Treadway. As to the large number of ODP regional players my guess is it's related to how much money they can make from them.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    148

    Got to go back a little ways, may be off by a year but 2007 St Henry grad Zach Lange was a stand out on a good St Henry team his freshman yr.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,721

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Card View Post
    I agree with both points made above, it is unusual for a freshman to make a big impact at the varsity level.

    I would also advocate that we wait and see if he plays substantial minutes at the Varsity level rather than relying on the opinion of @Soccerking.

    As for ODP, making the Regional squad is a nice accomplishment. As recent as a few years ago, they typically took about 22-26 kids, sometimes slightly more. This past season there were over 100 players named to the Region II pool, I have no insight as to why there has been such an increase in numbers but I do not see how this can be a good thing.
    Do you have to pay to practice in the Regional pool? Or is that covered when you pay at the state level?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,402

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    Do you have to pay to practice in the Regional pool? Or is that covered when you pay at the state level?
    Your fees at the state level will cover you if your selected as part of the state team that goes to regions. If you make the regional squad (hold over pool), there is a fee for that. In the past KY covered this fee for the players, I do not know if this is still the case.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,721

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Card View Post
    Your fees at the state level will cover you if your selected as part of the state team that goes to regions. If you make the regional squad (hold over pool), there is a fee for that. In the past KY covered this fee for the players, I do not know if this is still the case.
    I see the trail. The downfall of US Soccer...money and greed.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,402

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    I see the trail. The downfall of US Soccer...money and greed.
    No matter what, US Soccer will get their cut. This week I bought tickets for The International Cup (Man City/Tottenham) being played in Nashville, there was a fee that went to US Soccer, I think it was 5%.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    148

    Little debate US soccer is good at making money. As far back as 10-12 yrs ago ODP had a reputation as little more than a fund raiser for the federation. Now it sounds like they are making money, 5% of every ticket sold to these international friendlies, off the fans, crazy. When will we see the benefit of all of this money on the field?

  11. #11
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    15,416

    Quote Originally Posted by Soccerking View Post
    Freshman player for the new season to look out for Lance paul ( Ryle High )
    Kings Hammer player
    ODP KY state
    ODP Regional.
    I look forward to watching Lance Paul play next season. Hope he has a nice high school career.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,721

    Quote Originally Posted by Soccerking View Post
    Freshman player for the new season to look out for Lance paul ( Ryle High )
    Kings Hammer player
    ODP KY state
    ODP Regional.
    Did he play Freshman for Ryle last year?

Top