Soccerama

Page 2 of Less than a month from Soccerama, which kicks off the season for the N. Ky. boys teams. This year's event is being held at the newly renovated CCH stad... 46 comments | 5854 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    1,355

    Saw the first half of SK and Cooper. Not sure how it ended but SK looked better to me.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,401

    When I saw Cooper at BG games, they moved the ball around pretty well and were consistently playing out of the back. I felt they struggled to get into the final third and gave up the ball to easily when they tried to push forward.

  3. #18
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    15,414

    Quote Originally Posted by that's what she said View Post
    Agree. I've been following HS soccer for almost 20 yrs. I can only think of 2 or 3 freshman in those 20 yrs that made an impact on a regional contending team.
    It does happen though. I think that more and more, coaches are recognizing that talent is talent, so use it when you have it---versus maybe times in the past where the talented frosh was suppose to wait his turn.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    106

    Quote Originally Posted by hoops5 View Post
    It does happen though. I think that more and more, coaches are recognizing that talent is talent, so use it when you have it---versus maybe times in the past where the talented frosh was suppose to wait his turn.
    I would tend to agree that for a regional contending team, not many freshman make a big impact. In order for that Freshman to do so, I would think that he may have to be an older freshman and/or to have physically developed a bit. I have seen highly talented kids "playing up" just get pushed off the ball and have trouble in the middle of the field, based on size. 15 years ago there was a better chance when the talent pool wasn't as large.

    Smaller schools with limited rosters can get some freshman to have an impact. Collegiate for instance.

  5. #20
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    12,954

    Didn't Kunstek start at center-back on a SHDHS team that either won the region (beat CovCath?) or lost in the finals?

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    1,355

    I'd agree that many freshman start and/or play on various soccer teams, even regional contending teams, but they are normally role players at best. Luke Treadway as a frosh made a difference and that's the only one that I have seen in the last 10 years or so.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,721

    Quote Originally Posted by warbeagle View Post
    I would tend to agree that for a regional contending team, not many freshman make a big impact. In order for that Freshman to do so, I would think that he may have to be an older freshman and/or to have physically developed a bit. I have seen highly talented kids "playing up" just get pushed off the ball and have trouble in the middle of the field, based on size. 15 years ago there was a better chance when the talent pool wasn't as large.

    Smaller schools with limited rosters can get some freshman to have an impact. Collegiate for instance.
    I think that there is something to be said for high school soccer in regards to athletic ability. Many Freshman coming from club teams may technically be Varsity level, but if they aren't Varsity size wise, it is only a matter of time before they get exploited. Highlands has a Freshman on Varsity who has the jets and the athleticism. He can definitely help. It will be interesting to see how he does. He looked great at tryouts.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    624

    That highlands kid is the real deal. He finishes very well, good foot skills, very quick. Size might be a problem but I have seen him play against older kids and he held his own.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    1,355

    I've also heard that Highlands may be the ultimate landing spot for the kid who was a potential transfer to CCH from St. X but I'm not positive. Sounds like CCH said thanks but no thanks once they got the full story.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by groinpull View Post
    I've also heard that Highlands may be the ultimate landing spot for the kid who was a potential transfer to CCH from St. X but I'm not positive. Sounds like CCH said thanks but no thanks once they got the full story.
    Full story?

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    5,119

    Quote Originally Posted by groinpull View Post
    I've also heard that Highlands may be the ultimate landing spot for the kid who was a potential transfer to CCH from St. X but I'm not positive. Sounds like CCH said thanks but no thanks once they got the full story.
    Would be no surprise since the kid went to elementary school in Fort Thomas. Not sure how he would be transfer from St. X as I think he is only a frosh this year. Unless the parent has calmed down immensely, it may be more than any coach bargained for.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    1,355

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    Would be no surprise since the kid went to elementary school in Fort Thomas. Not sure how he would be transfer from St. X as I think he is only a frosh this year. Unless the parent has calmed down immensely, it may be more than any coach bargained for.
    We may be talking about different players. The kid I'm talking about would be a senior this year. My understanding is he's been at both Walnut Hills and St. X and is looking for a new school this year still.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,721

    Quote Originally Posted by imsays View Post
    That highlands kid is the real deal. He finishes very well, good foot skills, very quick. Size might be a problem but I have seen him play against older kids and he held his own.
    Are you talking about Ferris? There is another Freshman that has great footskills and holds his own. He is on JV. His size is the only thing keeping him from being Varsity, IMO, besides the depth the program has right now.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,721

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    Would be no surprise since the kid went to elementary school in Fort Thomas. Not sure how he would be transfer from St. X as I think he is only a frosh this year. Unless the parent has calmed down immensely, it may be more than any coach bargained for.
    I think I know who you are referring to. Parents have calmed a little, but he's staying at St. X.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    5,119

    Quote Originally Posted by groinpull View Post
    We may be talking about different players. The kid I'm talking about would be a senior this year. My understanding is he's been at both Walnut Hills and St. X and is looking for a new school this year still.
    You talking about Ordonez?

Top