Daviess County Is The 2016 Boys Soccer State Champion

Page 3 of Congratulations to Daviess County!... 76 comments | 7954 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    TylerDurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    537 Paper Street
    Posts
    523

    How about Daviess County fans act gracious because they ARE the state champions and CCH fans quit whining about whether or not the guy was or wasn't offside since that call went your way...
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    56

    Quote Originally Posted by kinglouie View Post
    I have to disagree. I happened to be standing long the fence and was almost in perfect position to make the same call. He was offsides.

    However, I do agree that Daviess County deserved to win. They outplayed the Colonels the entire game. Their passing and ball control was superior to the Colonels. Both teams made mistakes and missed opportunities leading to the outcome. Congrats to both teams on excellent seasons!
    I was in the same spot as you and I thought they made the right call. However after watching the video it showed he was on.

    One of the best state finals I have seen and congrats to both teams on great seasons. I attached a screenshot from the video.

    Name:  IMG_4143.PNG
Views: 346
Size:  320.8 KB

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    517

    You can't tell anything from that video other than it was close. Congrats to Davies.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    1,355

    Agree you cannot tell anything from the video or still photo other than it was close. If an attacking player has an arm, leg, half of his body, etc in an offsides position..............it's offsides. Close call, agreed but not definitive either way.

    As I said in my first post on this thread (post #4) congrats to Daviess as they have a fine team and are deserving champs.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,446

    Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    I rewatched it...the angle is pretty good actually. He is onside no doubt. Watch the goalie and back 6 for covcath - they KNEW he was onside...all of them immediately slump over in defeat, and there is no protest for being offside. Horrible call. Should have been over in OT. Linesman must have been catholic. LOL.
    I agree, from this angle he appears to be onside, it is almost the exact sight line l had from where I was sitting.

    This is NOT a good angle to make the call from, this is about 15 yards to the right of where the player in question is. If you look across the field you can see that the AR appears to be in a good position to make the correct call. Unless someone has a shot/video that is in line with the goal line, I am trusting the AR made the correct call, whether he is Catholic or not.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    56

    Quote Originally Posted by groinpull View Post
    Agree you cannot tell anything from the video or still photo other than it was close. If an attacking player has an arm, leg, half of his body, etc in an offsides position..............it's offsides. Close call, agreed but not definitive either way.

    As I said in my first post on this thread (post #4) congrats to Daviess as they have a fine team and are deserving champs.
    I agree 100%. We were in a group talking about what a difficult call that was to make and even more difficult given it was a state final.

    I was surprised with how well Daviess moved the ball and created chances against the Cov Cath D. This will be a tough game to top in the future.

    Also a kudos to the Cov Cath student section that showed up. They made the game a lot more enjoyable.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    517

    Quote Originally Posted by groinpull View Post
    Agree you cannot tell anything from the video or still photo other than it was close. If an attacking player has an arm, leg, half of his body, etc in an offsides position..............it's offsides. Close call, agreed but not definitive either way.

    As I said in my first post on this thread (post #4) congrats to Daviess as they have a fine team and are deserving champs.
    One correction, arm doesn't count. Only the parts of the body that can play the ball legally count. Your point is valid though.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    827

    The CC defender has his left arm on the kid from DC (on the side that's closest to the goal), if you freeze it you can easily see this...the defender goes with him and does a great job, just a better executed header.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    827

    The AR can't see the ball and the line at the same time. The DC kid clearly moves behind him AFTER the ball is struck, the defender moves right with him, but it's enough for him to make a great play. Again, none of the back line, nor the goalie protested, they slumped over - they knew it was a good play. Especially the kid who had his arm on him.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    517

    Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    The AR can't see the ball and the line at the same time. The DC kid clearly moves behind him AFTER the ball is struck, the defender moves right with him, but it's enough for him to make a great play. Again, none of the back line, nor the goalie protested, they slumped over - they knew it was a good play. Especially the kid who had his arm on him.
    Because players always know the right call? Look it was close and may have been onside. The point is no one has given definitive evidence of their opinion.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Mar 14
    Posts
    827

    CC has a great team and I'm sure they'll be back. I thought it was well played by both and good shots on goal from both. CC had one zing right over the cross bar and DC had some good chances as well. I did think DC controlled the ball much better most of the game. CC looked their best the last 20 minutes of the first half to me.

  12. #42
    kinglouie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 09
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,314

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Card View Post
    I agree, from this angle he appears to be onside, it is almost the exact sight line l had from where I was sitting.

    This is NOT a good angle to make the call from, this is about 15 yards to the right of where the player in question is. If you look across the field you can see that the AR appears to be in a good position to make the correct call. Unless someone has a shot/video that is in line with the goal line, I am trusting the AR made the correct call, whether he is Catholic or not.
    Agreed - and as I stated, I was darn near right in the exact line. I also did not mention I refereed many games in my day, up to the high school level, and the guy was offside. Can not tell from the angle. As far as the reaction of the Cov Cath players - can not use that. Of course they slumped over, they had not idea he was off sides. They thought they lost. They were either too busy looking at the ball, or the player they were marking. They can not be looking at both and be an effective player.

    As I stated previously, Daviess deserved to win. They are a great team and outplayed Covington Catholic from start to finish.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    right here at my desk
    Posts
    919

    I have no dog in the fight....zero, none, zilch, nada.....there is absolutely no way that guy was in an offsides position.

    Officials are human. The AR made a mistake. It's a moot point tho. Let it rest.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    659

    Tough call for the ar since he's probably watching the last defender and not when the ball is played. If the ar lucky he hears the kick maybe but like I've said many times if it's in doubt the flag should stay down.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    right here at my desk
    Posts
    919

    Props to the CovCath team and coaches. Everyone knew they were good last year. Loaded, and experienced, at every position. Other than the fact that CC had never been that far in the tournament, no one was really surprised when it was over.

    18 players gone from last year. This year, a whole new group of players, a new back line. A challenging schedule. 3 clean sheets on the way to the finals. Shutout a juggernaut in LCA. Despite the fact they came up a bit short, this is probably a more impressive feat. Well done.

Top