Anderson (OH) 2 Covington Catholic 1

Page 2 of High level game, two good teams, entertaining to watch. Anderson gets the game winner with about 11 minutes left when a seldom-used sophomore checks in... 24 comments | 1313 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    72

    Any athlete that wants to compete in any high school sport should be committed to strength training. 3 things make an athlete competitive; high level of skill, strength/speed & will to win. If you don't have 2 of those you are not able to compete. Coaches who are successful schedule time for strength training. Coaches who do not have strength training built in to their program also see higher number of injuries.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    All it takes is a coach willing to invest his time.
    I'll disagree with this. Takes a bit more than that.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by SidelineView View Post
    Coaches who are successful schedule time for strength training.
    Not sure this is accurate. Maybe it helps some, but I bet there are a lot of successful coaches who do no strength training.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    234

    Quote Originally Posted by Soccer2017 View Post
    Not sure this is accurate. Maybe it helps some, but I bet there are a lot of successful coaches who do no strength training.
    Before you read the three sentences below I am an advocate for strength and agility training for HS soccer players. So in no way am I bashing any coach or school that has a program, I wish every HS soccer program had one.

    As far as I know CCH soccer has no strength training program. They are the 2015 KY State Champions and 2016 State Runner ups. This clearly supports the bold statement above.

    When was the last time Anderson won a OH state boys soccer Championship or reached the finals?

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    72

    Maybe not the High School Coach, but the coaches that are RESPONSIBLE for developing the players definitely DO have strength training as part of their programs. Most of the HS coaches are counting on someone else to do the player development. The HS programs that do not have a good number of club players had better make sure there is strength training in their program.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,851

    Quote Originally Posted by Soccer2017 View Post
    I'll disagree with this. Takes a bit more than that.
    What all goes into a strength program that makes it so difficult?

  7. #22
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,466

    Quote Originally Posted by that's what she said View Post
    Before you read the three sentences below I am an advocate for strength and agility training for HS soccer players. So in no way am I bashing any coach or school that has a program, I wish every HS soccer program had one.

    As far as I know CCH soccer has no strength training program. They are the 2015 KY State Champions and 2016 State Runner ups. This clearly supports the bold statement above.

    When was the last time Anderson won a OH state boys soccer Championship or reached the finals?
    I know for a fact that CovCath Soccer was going to ASAP this summer. However, I don't believe they had ever used it before as a team.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    234

    Another thought to all of this strength/agility training. If every team has a comparable program, would they not offset themselves? Is the Anderson's way ahead of the field at this time simply because they are one of the few doing this?
    Again I am pro strength and agility training, for no other reason then to help keep injuries down. But even this issue may have negative effects. Once every player is bigger, faster, stronger will injuries become less or more frequent? If you look at the NFL as an example where every team has a very comparable strength program, every player is bigger, faster, stronger then 10 yrs prior, yet with better equipment and a ton more safety related rules are injuries occurring just as frequent in the NFL?
    Not making an argument for or against, just something to think about.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    8,358

    Some nice pictures from the Enquirer:

    GALLERY: Anderson boys soccer 2, CovCath 1, Sept. 19

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,851

    Quote Originally Posted by that's what she said View Post
    Another thought to all of this strength/agility training. If every team has a comparable program, would they not offset themselves? Is the Anderson's way ahead of the field at this time simply because they are one of the few doing this?
    Again I am pro strength and agility training, for no other reason then to help keep injuries down. But even this issue may have negative effects. Once every player is bigger, faster, stronger will injuries become less or more frequent? If you look at the NFL as an example where every team has a very comparable strength program, every player is bigger, faster, stronger then 10 yrs prior, yet with better equipment and a ton more safety related rules are injuries occurring just as frequent in the NFL?
    Not making an argument for or against, just something to think about.
    No. Different athletes doing similar strength training would not offset itself. There is no way to take a strength program and say that it is similar for every athlete, let alone every program. It is what an athlete makes of it. For better.......or worse

Top