Zion Harmon, BGHS super player received HUGE news...

Page 9 of Zion Harmon has broken another record. He is the first 8th grader to ever be invited to try out for the USA basketball U17 team. 32 kids selected to tr... 145 comments | 15806 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    81

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing. And the worst part is that all of my BG folks are still saying he isn't going anywhere and that this is a non story.
    All this is true but also wherever he goes or stays, it changes the landscape immediately somewhere if it is in kentucky or out of state. Also, to be fair it isn't as if the kid is encouraging the speculation by holding a news conference or setting an announcement day. As purple pride says he is still a Purple and there is no concern in BG that he will not be next season. If he isn't at BG thiugh, there will still be a team trying to repeat as state champions.
    Advertisement

  2. #122
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    19,707

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing. And the worst part is that all of my BG folks are still saying he isn't going anywhere and that this is a non story.
    Before long we will get MS announcements from ES players.

  3. #123
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,798

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    Before long we will get MS announcements from ES players.
    "I want to thank the local recreation department for allowing me to hone my talents on Saturday mornings for the past 5 years but my time has come for me to move on. After much consideration with my parents, AAU coaches, personal trainers, assorted teachers and guidance counselors this August I will be taking my talents to Spring Hill Middle School. Thank you!!!"

  4. #124
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    49,890

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    "I want to thank the local recreation department for allowing me to hone my talents on Saturday mornings for the past 5 years but my time has come for me to move on. After much consideration with my parents, AAU coaches, personal trainers, assorted teachers and guidance counselors this August I will be taking my talents to Spring Hill Middle School. Thank you!!!"
    Rip off the rec jersey to reveal where they are headed for middle school?

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    229

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    We are waiting on an 8th grader to announce where he will be attending HS. Something is wrong with that.
    I would agree with you in most cases, but this situation is so unusual. Everything is different in this case, starting with Zion himself. He is a phenom that has not surfaced in this state recently or likely will not again in the near future. He is that good and his impact is being made at a young age.
    He also is not from KY, he ended up in BG primarily because he was placed there by his travel ball team. This is not a situation where he just showed up in a BGHS uniform because the family moved into town on a whim. Whatever calculation went in to arriving at BGHS, it is only fair that the same thought pattern is applied to the beginning of his HS career.
    So a decision that is obviously driven by various factors is going to either put him back at BGHS or perhaps start a new chapter elsewhere. I wish him well wherever that may be and by all accounts he seems like a great young man in addition to be a great basketball phenom.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Oct 16
    Posts
    43

    The whole thing Is ridiculous! I Know the kid can play.. no doubt. But the attention on this is crazy.. kid moved in because Tennessse state rules didn't let him play there as an 8th grader. Plays a year and now is shopping around for the best spot..really leaves a bad taste man . This is not what it's all about. I don't care how good he is.

  7. #127

    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    714

    I started this thread simply stating the great honor he had on being selected to the National USA team.

    Not sure how the thread moved to what it is. Most posters are simply speculating on a non issue.

    Stick to the facts, man

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    81

    Quote Originally Posted by Larrylegend33 View Post
    The whole thing Is ridiculous! I Know the kid can play.. no doubt. But the attention on this is crazy.. kid moved in because Tennessse state rules didn't let him play there as an 8th grader. Plays a year and now is shopping around for the best spot..really leaves a bad taste man . This is not what it's all about. I don't care how good he is.
    Again this is an inaccurate statement because he played varsity as a 7th grader in tennessee but wasn't allowed to play in the 8th grade?

  9. #129
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,798

    Quote Originally Posted by Larrylegend33 View Post
    The whole thing Is ridiculous! I Know the kid can play.. no doubt. But the attention on this is crazy.. kid moved in because Tennessse state rules didn't let him play there as an 8th grader. Plays a year and now is shopping around for the best spot..really leaves a bad taste man . This is not what it's all about. I don't care how good he is.
    He played varsity basketball in TN as a 7th Grader. It's one of the biggest untruths floating around about Zion that he came to BG to play because he couldn't play varsity as an 8th Grader in TN. There isn't one shred of proof anywhere that he is "shopping around for the best spot".

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Jun 15
    Posts
    190

    I wonder if the fact that BG promoted from within will convince him to stay at least an another year in a Purple uniform.

  11. #131
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    19,707

    Quote Originally Posted by coachlee View Post
    I would agree with you in most cases, but this situation is so unusual. Everything is different in this case, starting with Zion himself. He is a phenom that has not surfaced in this state recently or likely will not again in the near future. He is that good and his impact is being made at a young age.
    He also is not from KY, he ended up in BG primarily because he was placed there by his travel ball team. This is not a situation where he just showed up in a BGHS uniform because the family moved into town on a whim. Whatever calculation went in to arriving at BGHS, it is only fair that the same thought pattern is applied to the beginning of his HS career.
    So a decision that is obviously driven by various factors is going to either put him back at BGHS or perhaps start a new chapter elsewhere. I wish him well wherever that may be and by all accounts he seems like a great young man in addition to be a great basketball phenom.
    No matter the player or talent we are talking about a freshman to be.

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    229

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    No matter the player or talent we are talking about a freshman to be.
    Any other freshman and I see your point. But this freshman if he stays in KY is very likely the best HS player in KY for the next four years running if he stayed that long. He changes the landscape more than any other player, he is simply that good. He would become the highest national top ranked recruit this state has seen in a long time, that is why we are talking about him.
    He came up to KY from TN, but he is not really from the TN area either. He originally is from the DC area I believe. I have no clue where he played in 7th grade and whether in 8th grade he no longer could play in TN HS or not. What I do know is that he is not the first player with ties to the same TN based travel ball program that ended up playing KY HS BB with a Bowling Green HS. South Warren had another 8th grader the year before who also played with the same program. So the tie in is with the travel ball program and there is nothing wrong with it or these young men would not have been eligible. The rules allowed them to play and thus as said by PP92 it is a non-issue.

  13. #133
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    19,707

    He is a great player and I loved watching him play at the state tournament last year but I will say it again, he is or was an 8th grader.
    Plus he played at a HS this past year and should add a different one his 7th grade year. Now we are waiting for his announcement.

  14. #134

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    87

    Reportedly has enrolled at another Kentucky school.

  15. #135
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    49,890

    Saw this on twitter:
    @coachcodyWills: So Zion Harmon to Adair, well the 20th district just got a little bit stronger.

Top