Winner of 38th District to host 10th Region boys tournament?

Page 3 of The 38th District decided today to allow all schools (Harrison, Pendleton, Robertson and Nicholas Countys) to host the boys and girls tournaments over ... 43 comments | 2167 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    836

    Quote Originally Posted by jahearme View Post
    And like I've said on here before; when I win the lottery one of the first things I'm going to do is build a gym in the geographical center of the 10th region and the regional tournament will be held there every year!
    I wonder where that would be? Piqua?
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 12
    Posts
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    I believe postseason ticket prices are set by the KHSAA.
    I do not think the Khsaa sets all post-season ticket prices. That price is determined by the schools involved in the tournament.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Dec 12
    Posts
    79

    I'm merely playing the devil's advocate here. I am a former coach and athletic director. Personally, I would like to see the Regional Tournament at Mason County every year, though Harrison County would be much more centrally located for the entire region. Harrison County could handle all the first round games, as could many other schools in the region. Could probably handle split session semis as well. Finals would be a different story. You never want to turn people away. Which is my exact point with Pendleton County hosting the 38th District Tournament. They could handle some games in the tournament, but not big games that draw lots of people....unless people choose not to come, thinking they won't be able to get in.

  4. #34
    jahearme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    On the 18th, putting for birdie
    Posts
    7,463

    Quote Originally Posted by lynks66 View Post
    I wonder where that would be? Piqua?
    I'd say somewhere between Piqua and Buena Vista would be close.

  5. #35
    jahearme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    On the 18th, putting for birdie
    Posts
    7,463

    Quote Originally Posted by Kendall View Post
    I do not think the Khsaa sets all post-season ticket prices. That price is determined by the schools involved in the tournament.
    Correct.

  6. #36
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,852

    Quote Originally Posted by Kendall View Post
    I do not think the Khsaa sets all post-season ticket prices. That price is determined by the schools involved in the tournament.
    You are correct. It is decided by the schools in the reigon.

  7. #37
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    10,318

    When the tourney is at Mason the total attendence is has been between 11 to 12 thousand with the lowest being 8800. It cannot be held at other places other than the gyms holding it now. At Montgomery in 2008 attendence was 9584 and 2012 attendence was 4849. At BOK in 2009 attendence was 11183. The participating schools recieved the lowest payout since 2000. The tourney has made enough money to pay non-participating in in every year except 03, 07, 08, 19 and 2012. The tourney has never made enough money to pay non-participating schools when played somewhere other than Mason and two years Mason never even made enough.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    127

    Is this whole thread a round about ways of criticizing Pendleton for wanting to host the district? Obviously the hypothetical scenario of regions wouldn't happen. There would be thousands turned away. Nicholas County last year I would venture to say that every crowd could have fit in Pendleton's gym. It was not overly crowded and I had a lot of room to stretch out in the upper deck. I could definitely be wrong on that but that's the feeling I get.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Posts
    88

    Quote Originally Posted by Kendall View Post
    I'm merely playing the devil's advocate here. I am a former coach and athletic director. Personally, I would like to see the Regional Tournament at Mason County every year, though Harrison County would be much more centrally located for the entire region. Harrison County could handle all the first round games, as could many other schools in the region. Could probably handle split session semis as well. Finals would be a different story. You never want to turn people away. Which is my exact point with Pendleton County hosting the 38th District Tournament. They could handle some games in the tournament, but not big games that draw lots of people....unless people choose not to come, thinking they won't be able to get in.
    I dissagree! Mason has had the region handed to them on a silver platter for years. It wasnt until just a few years ago that the region was moved to a different gym. There is way too much riding on this tourney for a team to have home court advantage every year. Thank God the powers woke up and made them move it from time to time. I think the 10th should be played at NKU every year. Everyone would be even from the start, no matter how far the teams and fans had to travel. Its just fair!

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 12
    Location
    Rupp
    Posts
    205

    Quote Originally Posted by dinnerforrwo View Post
    I dissagree! Mason has had the region handed to them on a silver platter for years. It wasnt until just a few years ago that the region was moved to a different gym. There is way too much riding on this tourney for a team to have home court advantage every year. Thank God the powers woke up and made them move it from time to time. I think the 10th should be played at NKU every year. Everyone would be even from the start, no matter how far the teams and fans had to travel. Its just fair!
    Absolutely! If you host the region every year I would say your chances of doing well go way up. I'm for a neutral site every year!

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Posts
    2,034

    Lets keep in mind Mason County had the only facility that could host the crowds for this tournament until the last few years..............................the "powers" had every ability to play other places but kept it at the fieldhouse. Financially the entire region was huge beneficiaries.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Posts
    88

    Quote Originally Posted by uselessinfo View Post
    Lets keep in mind Mason County had the only facility that could host the crowds for this tournament until the last few years..............................the "powers" had every ability to play other places but kept it at the fieldhouse. Financially the entire region was huge beneficiaries.
    I understand about the finances, but it still gave the edge to Mason every year!

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    215

    Quote Originally Posted by sumoroyal View Post
    When the tourney is at Mason the total attendence is has been between 11 to 12 thousand with the lowest being 8800. It cannot be held at other places other than the gyms holding it now. At Montgomery in 2008 attendence was 9584 and 2012 attendence was 4849. At BOK in 2009 attendence was 11183. The participating schools recieved the lowest payout since 2000. The tourney has made enough money to pay non-participating in in every year except 03, 07, 08, 19 and 2012. The tourney has never made enough money to pay non-participating schools when played somewhere other than Mason and two years Mason never even made enough.
    Based on this logic then we should move the sweet 16 from Rupp. It clearly has higher operating costs thus resulting in lower payouts to the KHSAA. Bottom line, kids love playing in these college arenas and thats where they should be if they have the opportunity. Kids still talk about playing at BOK in 2009. The Fieldhouse, Henry County and several others have really passed their prime. Ask any major sports franchise and they would love to get rid of their old facilities. Players want to be in the newer facilities as well.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    Devil's Dome
    Posts
    4,392

    Quote Originally Posted by LCDAWGS19 View Post
    Region should be at Fieldhouse, or in a gym that size. I won't dispute that.
    I agree, even with the new facilities it won't hold a crowd of the size the Fieldhouse can hold.

Top