Way Too Early 2019-20 Preseason Favorites?

Page 2 of Trinity claimed the State title today but next year it looks to be a wide open race with powers like Scott County, and Trinity losing significant talen... 35 comments | 9032 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,200

    Quote Originally Posted by Smallhoops View Post
    Totally agree about North Oldham. Justin Powell is a high Division 1 college player. Put him together with the younger players North Oldham has coming back, and perhaps others, and North Oldham looks to be pretty good next year.
    I'm not familiar with Powell but saw that he was at Monverde? He's a former Shamrock but recently played at Monverde?
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,247

    Quote Originally Posted by NEERFAN View Post
    I'm not familiar with Powell but saw that he was at Monverde? He's a former Shamrock but recently played at Monverde?
    Justin Powell played at Trinity last season as a sophomore, averaging 11.4 ppg and shooting 50.8% from 3-point range (64/126). He started this season at Monteverde but only played a few games before retuning to Kentucky and enrolling at North Oldham, his home school. He sat out the rest of the season but will be ready to go next season. Being recruited by high Division I schools. I believe he took an unofficial visit to UK last weekend.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    338

    Pulaski County, Lincoln County, Somerset, and Danville will be the top teams in the 12th region.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,618

    I hear Fern Creek returns a lot.

  5. #20
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,531

    If we're talking regional favorites Ashland will certainly be one for the 16th. Even with losing a player like Robinson they should be a bit better next season than they were this season. Outside of Robinson I believe they return their starting 5 from this years sweet 16 team.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    707

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    I hear Fern Creek returns a lot.
    They do. The 6th will be a multiple horse race again. Bullitt Central returns nearly everyone. As does Bullitt East and Fairdale. JTown will be good. PRP returns a lot too.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    174

    Quote Originally Posted by Statsdontlie View Post
    Pulaski County, Lincoln County, Somerset, and Danville will be the top teams in the 12th region.
    I agree with you. I think Lincoln is the favorite. Interesting stats. Somerset and Pulaski return 4 players that averaged over 7 points a game. Wayne, Lincoln, Danville and Mercer all return only two players that averaged over 7 points a game from last year.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    338

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFan22 View Post
    I agree with you. I think Lincoln is the favorite. Interesting stats. Somerset and Pulaski return 4 players that averaged over 7 points a game. Wayne, Lincoln, Danville and Mercer all return only two players that averaged over 7 points a game from last year.
    I think Danville getting Aden Sloan will help them big time. That was Danville's biggest flaw when Tevin Kavanaugh got hurt, they didn't have a point guard. Sloan will be able to stretch the floor with his shooting, and he's a great ball handler. Ethan Wood, Darrian Bell, Trey Dawson, and Donate Hayden started at one point this season. I think Pulaski is the team to beat when its all said and done. Lincoln won't have home court advantage in the region tournament next year, that's why I give the edge to Pulaski County.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 17
    Posts
    77

    The 4 regions I follow closely

    1st. McCracken County
    2nd. Madisonville North Hopkins
    3rd. Muhlenberg County
    4th. Bowling Green

    Bowling Green should be on everyone’s watch list.

  10. #25
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,545

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    The 4 regions I follow closely

    1st. McCracken County
    2nd. Madisonville North Hopkins
    3rd. Muhlenberg County
    4th. Bowling Green

    Bowling Green should be on everyone’s watch list.
    1st:
    Add Marshall County. Even if Harmon doesn't stay, they have everybody back.
    Also add Murray, they have a bunch coming back as well. They will be solid.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 18
    Posts
    157

    Based on what I saw at the state tournament, Madisonville should be near the top of the rankings to start next season. I’m an 8th Region guy personally and Collins returns one of the best back courts in the state so they should also be a contender. Also in the eighth, South Oldham returns four of their five starters and the reigning eighth region player of the year Luke Morrison. They will be able to shoot the lights out and will cause headaches to defenses next year.

  12. #27
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,151

    Hazard returns four starters. They will probably be rated 1 in the 14th. They took Perry Central to the wire in both their district and the region finals. Most the other teams who are usually on the watch list as possible winners of the 14th, such as Knott Central, Perry Central, Breathitt County, they all lose a lot to graduation.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 18
    Posts
    56

    I agree this is a fun exercise, and here is what a "reloaded" Cov Cath starting five will look like: One of the best (if not the top) returning point guards in the state, Grant Disken. Joey Moser, who came on at the end of the year as a solid defender and 3 point specialist. 6'6" Big Man Neil Green who should be much improved. 6'8" Jeremy Eubank, who is a very skilled kid with a D1 frame coming off of an ACL tear. Of course, 6'6" monster Michael Mayer, no explanation needed here other than many were convinced there was no way he would play this year. Injuries and "what ifs" happen every year, but I find it hard to think this isn't a starting 5 worthy of top 5 pre season projection.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,464

    Quote Originally Posted by NCBacon View Post
    CovCath doesn’t bring back as much as you think. I’d say pretty good odds Mayer will be in South Bend instead of Park Hills next January.
    This is true (at least up until about an hour ago), but he has not made a final decision on if he will enroll early. As I said several times this year, he would be coming back for probably his last season of hoops. Things could change, but IMO he has played his last game in a Colonel bball uniform. Wants one more football state title, and to move on to his next step before playing on Sundays.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,464

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    I agree this is a fun exercise, and here is what a "reloaded" Cov Cath starting five will look like: One of the best (if not the top) returning point guards in the state, Grant Disken. Joey Moser, who came on at the end of the year as a solid defender and 3 point specialist. 6'6" Big Man Neil Green who should be much improved. 6'8" Jeremy Eubank, who is a very skilled kid with a D1 frame coming off of an ACL tear. Of course, 6'6" monster Michael Mayer, no explanation needed here other than many were convinced there was no way he would play this year. Injuries and "what ifs" happen every year, but I find it hard to think this isn't a starting 5 worthy of top 5 pre season projection.
    Jeremy Eubank is a player and I felt awful that he didn't get to play this season. He will be one of, if not the best big men in the area. They also will probably throw super-frosh McHale in there next year as a sophomore The kid is so smooth.

Top