Page 2 of Game was not really in doubt after a strong first half run by Trinity and then they just kept pushing the lead in the second half. Trinity becomes the first team to get both a football title and the Sweet 16 title in the same school year. Trinity was the picture of dominance for most of the year and the entirety of this tournament. Congrats Trinity!... 57 comments | 3608 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #21
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Democracy is so overrated #teamRandy
    Posts
    45,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltopper2005 View Post
    Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, huh?

    I said these exact same words to the guy and his son sitting behind me.

  2. #22
    Premium Member mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    5,614
    Hard to believe that is only title in basketball!

  3. #23
    Moderator gold sunrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    42,785


    Trinity defeated Scott County to win the 2012 PNC/KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16 State Basketball Tournament Saturday, March 17, 2012 in Lexington at Rupp Arena. The final score was 71-53. Photo by Jonathan Palmer JONATHAN PALMER — Herald-LeaderBuy Photo
    Read more here: Mike Fields: Hype justified for high school state champ Trinity | High school basketball | Kentucky.com

  4. #24
    Moderator rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Hudson, KY-Quietest Place in the State
    Posts
    47,500
    Love this!

    Dieudonne was asked what it was like to finally win a basketball title at a football school. "I don't really think it's just a football school anymore," he said with a smile. "We've got a great football team and a great basketball team this year. We'll try to continue that tradition now."

  5. #25
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    9,960
    A work about officiating.

    I've been very critical of officials before and was terrified that Trinity would be in a 8 v. 5 situation every game they played. My fears were totally unjustified. Of the 4 games that Trinity played 2 (Friday & Championship) were not just well officiated I will say the officials did an excellent job. The first game I really believe the Willis kid from BE got a few calls but I thought they did a decent job. The fourth game (Sat. morning) was a little shaky but maybe it was just early?
    rockmom likes this.

  6. #26
    Contest Mod DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    26,072
    Quote Originally Posted by gold sunrise View Post


    Trinity defeated Scott County to win the 2012 PNC/KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16 State Basketball Tournament Saturday, March 17, 2012 in Lexington at Rupp Arena. The final score was 71-53. Photo by Jonathan Palmer JONATHAN PALMER — Herald-LeaderBuy Photo
    Read more here: Mike Fields: Hype justified for high school state champ Trinity | High school basketball | Kentucky.com
    That's what the trophy looks like now? That's a shame.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    Somewhere in stands watching
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    That's what the trophy looks like now? That's a shame.
    I thought it was different i dont like it either.

  8. #28
    Registered User sports fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    A work about officiating.

    I've been very critical of officials before and was terrified that Trinity would be in a 8 v. 5 situation every game they played. My fears were totally unjustified. Of the 4 games that Trinity played 2 (Friday & Championship) were not just well officiated I will say the officials did an excellent job. The first game I really believe the Willis kid from BE got a few calls but I thought they did a decent job. The fourth game (Sat. morning) was a little shaky but maybe it was just early?
    Even Saturday morning the calls balanced out in the 2nd half, but that crew was definitely the shakiest. The championship game game crew was excellent. Not perfect, but very, very fair. The official scorer on the other hand needs to be looked at. As I posted in another thread (and this is backed up on the iHigh broadcast and the KHSAA's play-by-play account of the game), Scott was awarded a point on a missed free throw at the :55 mark of the 3rd qtr when the score was 45-33. Luckily Scott did not close to make it a one point game! How the T bench did not pick up on this I don't know. With the 18 point margin, nobody will make a big deal lout of this, but as an official scorer this is inexcusable.

  9. #29
    Registered User Philip Hay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Maysville
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    That's what the trophy looks like now? That's a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentonman View Post
    I thought it was different i dont like it either.
    After speaking with someone from KHSAA I understand why it was done. They wanted to make state championship trophies more uniform. Was it fair for a state champion in another sport to get a MUCH smaller trophy than basketball?

  10. #30
    Contest Mod DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    26,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Hay View Post
    After speaking with someone from KHSAA I understand why it was done. They wanted to make state championship trophies more uniform. Was it fair for a state champion in another sport to get a MUCH smaller trophy than basketball?
    I suppose not, but it's no less disappointing. I look at that one and it doesn't compare to the one I saw Warren Central raise.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    Somewhere in stands watching
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Hay View Post
    After speaking with someone from KHSAA I understand why it was done. They wanted to make state championship trophies more uniform. Was it fair for a state champion in another sport to get a MUCH smaller trophy than basketball?
    So why not make them all over sized, after all it is a great accomplishment.

  12. #32
    Registered User Philip Hay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Maysville
    Posts
    2,298
    Really was impressed by Trinity administration and how they handled their cheering section. Sure boys are going to be less than angels. (Come on guys we were all like that at one time or another when we were young. Some of us still are that way. ) But when they got out of line with a cheer that was not in good taste or got personal administration was quick to put a stop to it.

    Not saying I have read the entire book, but this is just my observation of the cover of that book.
    rockmom likes this.

  13. #33
    Registered User Philip Hay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Maysville
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    I suppose not, but it's no less disappointing. I look at that one and it doesn't compare to the one I saw Warren Central raise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentonman View Post
    So why not make them all over sized, after all it is a great accomplishment.
    Oh I don't disagree with either of you but I understand why they did it.

  14. #34
    Premium Member SHAMROCK69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Home of the National Champions " Trinity ROCKS and Kentucky Wildcats"
    Posts
    2,254
    So proud to be a Trinity grad. I was there for the first football championship and now the first basketball championship. It's really special.

  15. #35
    Premium Member paNDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    Hebron
    Posts
    5,787
    It is not the size of the trophy that matters it is what it represents. Make it an inch tall and the Shamrocks would still treasure it equally as special. Congrats to Trinity, it was your year all the way!
    SHAMROCK69 and THSGrad-N-Dad like this.

  16. #36
    Premium Member The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    On the island.
    Posts
    15,623
    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    A work about officiating.

    I've been very critical of officials before and was terrified that Trinity would be in a 8 v. 5 situation every game they played. My fears were totally unjustified. Of the 4 games that Trinity played 2 (Friday & Championship) were not just well officiated I will say the officials did an excellent job. The first game I really believe the Willis kid from BE got a few calls but I thought they did a decent job. The fourth game (Sat. morning) was a little shaky but maybe it was just early?
    I had my doubts about the 13th region official when I saw him walk out on the floor for the championship game. He really did a number on Paducah Tilghman back in 1999 in the semifinals when they lost to Scott County in the final seconds. The Rupp crowd stood and booed for a LONG time after that game. He is from Harlan County, the same county Billy Hicks is from. Some thought he was leaning in his calls for Hicks. Whether he was or not is debatable, but he sure didn't have a good game with the whistle that day, at least not for Paducah Tilghman.

    But he really called a good game for the finals, and a good tournament as well. He probably remembered the boos from '99 and didn't want to have a repeat.
    Actually, Trinity was so powerful this year that it would have taken a very obvious ax job by offcials to have denied them the title.

  17. #37
    Premium Member spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Limit on the last day,,perfect.
    Posts
    37,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Hay View Post
    Really was impressed by Trinity administration and how they handled their cheering section. Sure boys are going to be less than angels. (Come on guys we were all like that at one time or another when we were young. Some of us still are that way. ) But when they got out of line with a cheer that was not in good taste or got personal administration was quick to put a stop to it.

    Not saying I have read the entire book, but this is just my observation of the cover of that book.
    Scott County's admin did the opposite.

  18. #38
    Premium Member The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    On the island.
    Posts
    15,623
    I was a little disappointed in Scott County and Trinity's crowds last night. For a state championship game I would have thought their fan bases and alumni would have been much larger. UK and UL on TV shouldn't have been a factor with the fan bases of the two school left standing in the state basketball tournament. Even worse for Scott County is they are a neighboring county to Fayette where the tournament was played. It's 12 miles from Georgetown to Lexington.
    I know if my little county were ever in that position there wouldn't be a thousand people left in the county (there's only 4500 population to begin with).

  19. #39
    Premium Member spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Limit on the last day,,perfect.
    Posts
    37,924
    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    I was a little disappointed in Scott County and Trinity's crowds last night. For a state championship game I would have thought their fan bases and alumni would have been much larger. UK and UL on TV shouldn't have been a factor with the fan bases of the two school left standing in the state basketball tournament. Even worse for Scott County is they are a neighboring county to Fayette where the tournament was played. It's 12 miles from Georgetown to Lexington.
    I know if my little county were ever in that position there wouldn't be a thousand people left in the county (there's only 4500 population to begin with).
    Totally agree.

  20. #40
    Premium Member paNDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    Hebron
    Posts
    5,787
    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    I was a little disappointed in Scott County and Trinity's crowds last night. For a state championship game I would have thought their fan bases and alumni would have been much larger. UK and UL on TV shouldn't have been a factor with the fan bases of the two school left standing in the state basketball tournament. Even worse for Scott County is they are a neighboring county to Fayette where the tournament was played. It's 12 miles from Georgetown to Lexington.
    I know if my little county were ever in that position there wouldn't be a thousand people left in the county (there's only 4500 population to begin with).

    Do they normally release the paid attendance figures for this tourney? I stll have no idea why they bump up against the NCAA games. Has to kill attendance.


Tags for this Thread