Top 10 Teams in the 9th

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    27

    Top 10 Teams in the 9th

    The previous thread about top 10 players got me thinking about this year and the overall top 10 teams. I, unlike the user who started the previous thread, will give my 10 and we can go from there:

    1) Covington Catholic - have held this position for the past two years as well and didn't make it to Rupp. This trend may not continue.
    2) Cooper - Adam Kunkel is a difference maker as he showed in the Region Final.
    3) Holmes - What??? 12-17 last year and #3 this year...I think this might show the parity in the teams from this point. They return a lot from last season.
    4) Newport Central Catholic - looking for a big year from Brennan Hall and improvement in the younger players.
    5) Newport - very athletic team and Mekell Burries is very good. I think they shoot themselves out of games.
    6) Dixie Heights - a decent JV team will be required to take up the load from the seniors who left.
    7) Boone County - Ethan Haynes and company will have a much better season this year than the previous 2.
    8) Beechwood - Toebbe is a force and if they have quality guard play could rise in the rankings.
    9) Ryle - top two scorers gone but a talented junior class is going to get thrown in the fire and I think they'll be better than expected.
    10) Conner - life after the Hemmerichs...quieter gym and we will see who steps up in their place.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by HSBballfan24 View Post
    The previous thread about top 10 players got me thinking about this year and the overall top 10 teams. I, unlike the user who started the previous thread, will give my 10 and we can go from there:

    1) Covington Catholic - have held this position for the past two years as well and didn't make it to Rupp. This trend may not continue.
    2) Cooper - Adam Kunkel is a difference maker as he showed in the Region Final.
    3) Holmes - What??? 12-17 last year and #3 this year...I think this might show the parity in the teams from this point. They return a lot from last season.
    4) Newport Central Catholic - looking for a big year from Brennan Hall and improvement in the younger players.
    5) Newport - very athletic team and Mekell Burries is very good. I think they shoot themselves out of games.
    6) Dixie Heights - a decent JV team will be required to take up the load from the seniors who left.
    7) Boone County - Ethan Haynes and company will have a much better season this year than the previous 2.
    8) Beechwood - Toebbe is a force and if they have quality guard play could rise in the rankings.
    9) Ryle - top two scorers gone but a talented junior class is going to get thrown in the fire and I think they'll be better than expected.
    10) Conner - life after the Hemmerichs...quieter gym and we will see who steps up in their place.
    Good list. Can't wait for the 1st Cooper/Cov Cath matchup.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    259

    Quote Originally Posted by Cord of Wood View Post
    Good list. Can't wait for the 1st Cooper/Cov Cath matchup.
    Jan 12 at Kentucky bank arena

  4. #4
    lawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    17,731

    Quote Originally Posted by Letsgetit View Post
    Jan 12 at Kentucky bank arena
    ???

  5. #5
    AM I EVIL?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    17

    Quote Originally Posted by Letsgetit View Post
    Jan 12 at Kentucky bank arena
    Would that be BB&T Arena on the campus of NKU?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    259

    Quote Originally Posted by AM I EVIL? View Post
    Would that be BB&T Arena on the campus of NKU?
    Yea sorry.

  7. #7
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,403

    Quote Originally Posted by lawildcat View Post
    ???
    Come on LA, you honestly didn't know what he meant?

  8. #8
    lawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    17,731

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    Come on LA, you honestly didn't know what he meant?
    Maybe; maybe not.

  9. #9
    Mr. Sixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Coalinga, CA
    Posts
    1,143

    I hope the order stays the same just like it did last year until the regional finals and the Cooper Jags pull the "upset" again. CCH will be a challenge and should be the favorite with CJ and Jake but Cooper already had 3 of 5 starters returning (albeit the 2 that graduated were absolutely great) but when you add in the 3 newcomers (2 from HC and 1 from CCH) Cooper will very very deep.
    Another team to keep one eye on is Boone. I watched 3 of their players most of this summer and I will tell you that Ethan Haynes game has been elevated to a very high degree that most people are not aware of.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 16
    Posts
    538

    Good thing that Cooper and Cov Cath will be playing at larger venues this year...the player names change but the high level of game competition will remain the same.

  11. #11
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,898

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sixer View Post
    I hope the order stays the same just like it did last year until the regional finals and the Cooper Jags pull the "upset" again. CCH will be a challenge and should be the favorite with CJ and Jake but Cooper already had 3 of 5 starters returning (albeit the 2 that graduated were absolutely great) but when you add in the 3 newcomers (2 from HC and 1 from CCH) Cooper will very very deep.
    Another team to keep one eye on is Boone. I watched 3 of their players most of this summer and I will tell you that Ethan Haynes game has been elevated to a very high degree that most people are not aware of.
    I wasn't aware of this so it will be interesting to pay closer attention to them to see if they can once again be true 9th Region contenders, and legitimately get their name back into the discussion. I hope so as I'm all for seeing a strong region with multiple teams capable of contending for the crown. The more the merrier.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    259

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sixer View Post
    I hope the order stays the same just like it did last year until the regional finals and the Cooper Jags pull the "upset" again. CCH will be a challenge and should be the favorite with CJ and Jake but Cooper already had 3 of 5 starters returning (albeit the 2 that graduated were absolutely great) but when you add in the 3 newcomers (2 from HC and 1 from CCH) Cooper will very very deep.
    Another team to keep one eye on is Boone. I watched 3 of their players most of this summer and I will tell you that Ethan Haynes game has been elevated to a very high degree that most people are not aware of.
    I know Houston will contribute but do u think the other two transfers will help out that much?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    80

    Who are the transfers ? I never heard of Houston where did he play and who are the other two?

  14. #14
    Mr. Sixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Coalinga, CA
    Posts
    1,143

    Houston and another player from HC. Michael Spencer who transferred from CCH will add some toughness off the bench IMO. WIth AK, Runion, McNeil and Walters (who was a part time starter last year) I think Cooper can challenge for another run at the 9th crown.
    If Mayer decides to play Bb for CCH there could be another great finish in the region. Newport and Boone are sleepers IMO too.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    80

    Micheal Spencer did not play on Covington Catholics JV team from someone I talked to , Both Mayer's are playing basketball per Covington Catholics JV coach . They both were at picture night Wed evening . Not sure how you can help Cooper's varsity when you couldn't play for Covington Catholics jv team ? Not sure the group you mentioned can match up with Fredrick , Ruthsatz , Walters , Davin , Mayer , Mayer , Thelen , Deere every kid listed but Ruthsatz is 6-4 or taller. Going to be fun watching Sullivan and Ruthsatz . If Covington Catholic reached the finals this will be Ruthsatz six straight finals of the regional in seven years guy has done the best coaching job in the state year in year out . If Sullivan can knock off Covington Catholic it will be an upset . Losing Hendrix and McNeil are major . Most nights those two players were the best basketball players for a Cooper .

Top