Top 10 Teams in the 9th

Page 5 of The previous thread about top 10 players got me thinking about this year and the overall top 10 teams. I, unlike the user who started the previous thre... 78 comments | 13726 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,081

    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Tough to get minutes at the 4-5 with a group of players of Walter, Thelen, Mayer brothers......Im hearing Thelen is getting D1 attention, Congrats to him.
    Thelen has the body and athleticism but what is his body of work? What AAU program is he running with and what National exposure is he getting because he hasnt done anything at CovCath just yet to warrant any D-1 attention. Obviously has to be AAU is my point.
    Advertisement

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    182

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Thelen has the body and athleticism but what is his body of work? What AAU program is he running with and what National exposure is he getting because he hasnt done anything at CovCath just yet to warrant any D-1 attention. Obviously has to be AAU is my point.
    Schools come to Covington Catholic to see their other players Frederick and Walters - I assume he has gotten on schools radars from their recruitment. Not sure who he played with this summer.

  3. #63
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,081

    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Schools come to Covington Catholic to see their other players Frederick and Walters - I assume he has gotten on schools radars from their recruitment. Not sure who he played with this summer.
    Yea I heard Mack was at the gym so much they thought he might be joining the staff. Makes sense, I guess having big timers there helps the other kids get recognition. CovCath hoops could have an unprecedented run in hoops like Highlands had in football from 2007-2014.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    413

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Yea I heard Mack was at the gym so much they thought he might be joining the staff. Makes sense, I guess having big timers there helps the other kids get recognition. CovCath hoops could have an unprecedented run in hoops like Highlands had in football from 2007-2014.
    Careful there, Q, a couple of years ago Mexitucky postulated that CovCath was on the verge of a dynasty after winning the state, and he was criticized as a NewCath/Ft. Thomas guy for setting up CCH for failure if they didn't meet those lofty expectations .....

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Posts
    989

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Mitchell View Post
    Careful there, Q, a couple of years ago Mexitucky postulated that CovCath was on the verge of a dynasty after winning the state, and he was criticized as a NewCath/Ft. Thomas guy for setting up CCH for failure if they didn't meet those lofty expectations .....
    You mean Ft. Thomas guys, they are several kids from Ft. Thomas that attend NCC.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Jan 16
    Posts
    594

    Thelen has a D-I body - whether he develops a D-I game remains to be seen. I can’t see him as a primary scorer - he does have the length to be an effective defender and rebounder at both ends. Will be interesting to see what numbers he puts up this year.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    36

    With scrimmages starting this week, we are finally getting closer to the real fun.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    7

    Muskie, you are incorrect Michael Spencer did play at CCH. Starter on the freshman team and a significant player on the JV, especially as the season progressed. He's about 6'4" and is still 15 years old. He's still growing and developing as well as recovering from injury. He can be as good he wants to be if he continues to put in the work. Please check game film or talk to someone that truly knows like his coaches Freddie, Franzen or Ruthsatz. Did you watch the JV tournament last year, especially the JV finals? Get informed before you spout. CCH has a great program and all the kids compete and push each other. So does Cooper! Different programs, but both get the most out of their players. Unless you attend practice, how do you know what ability any of the kids have? Did you go to all of the games? Teams with depth have to figure out how to use or not use it effectively. I support and encourage all of our NKY athletes, not tear them down with hearsay and speculation. Looking forward to some competition and exciting games in NKY this season. Good luck to all the coaches and players! Stay blessed and injury free.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    182

    Quote Originally Posted by downsouth89 View Post
    Muskie, you are incorrect Michael Spencer did play at CCH. Starter on the freshman team and a significant player on the JV, especially as the season progressed. He's about 6'4" and is still 15 years old. He's still growing and developing as well as recovering from injury. He can be as good he wants to be if he continues to put in the work. Please check game film or talk to someone that truly knows like his coaches Freddie, Franzen or Ruthsatz. Did you watch the JV tournament last year, especially the JV finals? Get informed before you spout. CCH has a great program and all the kids compete and push each other. So does Cooper! Different programs, but both get the most out of their players. Unless you attend practice, how do you know what ability any of the kids have? Did you go to all of the games? Teams with depth have to figure out how to use or not use it effectively. I support and encourage all of our NKY athletes, not tear them down with hearsay and speculation. Looking forward to some competition and exciting games in NKY this season. Good luck to all the coaches and players! Stay blessed and injury free.
    I did just that. Micheal has big fans of the CCH coaching staff! I stand corrected.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    29

    CCH


    Twitter

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    20

    Whats the word on Highlands new big man?

  12. #72
    Pink Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    Hohman, IN
    Posts
    72

    Quote Originally Posted by HSBballfan24 View Post
    The previous thread about top 10 players got me thinking about this year and the overall top 10 teams. I, unlike the user who started the previous thread, will give my 10 and we can go from there:

    1) Covington Catholic - have held this position for the past two years as well and didn't make it to Rupp. This trend may not continue.
    2) Cooper - Adam Kunkel is a difference maker as he showed in the Region Final.
    3) Holmes - What??? 12-17 last year and #3 this year...I think this might show the parity in the teams from this point. They return a lot from last season.
    4) Newport Central Catholic - looking for a big year from Brennan Hall and improvement in the younger players.
    5) Newport - very athletic team and Mekell Burries is very good. I think they shoot themselves out of games.
    6) Dixie Heights - a decent JV team will be required to take up the load from the seniors who left.
    7) Boone County - Ethan Haynes and company will have a much better season this year than the previous 2.
    8) Beechwood - Toebbe is a force and if they have quality guard play could rise in the rankings.
    9) Ryle - top two scorers gone but a talented junior class is going to get thrown in the fire and I think they'll be better than expected.
    10) Conner - life after the Hemmerichs...quieter gym and we will see who steps up in their place.
    Hilarious

  13. #73
    Pink Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    Hohman, IN
    Posts
    72

    Quote Originally Posted by 859 SPORTS FAN View Post
    Whats the word on Highlands new big man?
    He's big

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    19

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Nightmare View Post
    He's big
    How big? Where is he from? What grade?

  15. #75
    Lawnboy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    46,477

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
    Reminds me of the NewCath pre-game layup line in 2013/14........about 7 or so players dunking.

Top