The Jake

Page 4 of Jake Ohmer's numbers in the 10th Region Tournament & Sweet 16 (6 games...per The Ledger Independent's Evan Dennison): * 210 points (35 ppg) * 63 re... 99 comments | 10931 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    2,529

    Quote Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
    Very impressive run. Truly legendary.

    Where I have to put the brakes on the D1 discussion, though, and especially at NKU, is he's still 6'1", and has to play on the other side of the court. If you score 40, but the guy you're guarding scores 41, you're hurting the team. justsayin
    Obviously, you have not seen The Jake play. Defensively, he is exceptional cutting off penetrations and drawing the charge. Ultra-high motor at both ends.
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    2,529

    Quote Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
    Let's not forget that NKU already has a 6'1" guard who scored 36.6 points per game in high school, can get to the rim at will, and is an absolute bucket filler. But IMO, his time is limited on the court because he is still learning to guard at the D1 level.

    I'm quite confident John Brannen knows who Jake Ohmer is, and has not offered. And as @TAC said, what Jake has produced the last two weeks is what he has been doing for several years. But the success of the the Norse the last two weeks also allows Brannen to cast his net a little wider, and in much deeper water. justsayin
    The absolute bucket filler you speak of shot 40% from the floor and 24% on 3's for the Norse. Caverna HS schedule was a serious notch below The Jakes quality of competition.

  3. #48
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    127,218

    The JAKE!

  4. #49
    InItToWinIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,685

    Coached Jake last summer in AAU. The best thing about him is, he doesn't play for attention or to show off or get into it with other players. He truly just wants to play hard and to win for his teammates. Really happy he got to end his high school career in a memorable way. Well done.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    1,658

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    The absolute bucket filler you speak of shot 40% from the floor and 24% on 3's for the Norse. Caverna HS schedule was a serious notch below The Jakes quality of competition.
    And the majority of his recruiting was based on what he had done on the AAU/NCAA Certified events not based on the numbers he put up at Caverna. He played on teams a "notch" above what Jake played for during the summer events to use your vernacular.

    Playing college basketball at any level is hard and a lot of freshmen stats suffer in the transition. Not really a fair comparison to throw Faulkner's shooting numbers as a freshmen as to what Ohmer did at the state tourney. College coaches will tell you the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.

    The Jake rode a serious heater and may ultimately end up at the D1 level but just not at NKU.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    1,144

    Quote Originally Posted by 4pointplay View Post
    And the majority of his recruiting was based on what he had done on the AAU/NCAA Certified events not based on the numbers he put up at Caverna. He played on teams a "notch" above what Jake played for during the summer events to use your vernacular.

    Playing college basketball at any level is hard and a lot of freshmen stats suffer in the transition. Not really a fair comparison to throw Faulkner's shooting numbers as a freshmen as to what Ohmer did at the state tourney. College coaches will tell you the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.

    The Jake rode a serious heater and may ultimately end up at the D1 level but just not at NKU.
    And that would be NKU's loss, not The Jake's.

  7. #52
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,579

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttlesworth View Post
    Didn't he guard PCCs tallest player, out rebound him and deny him passes? I don't think defense is a problem. Kid was all over the court. His awareness was ridiculous,
    No he did not outrebound either of the twin towers and they scored when given the ball. Exploiting the weakness of PCC's guards was the story of that game. The PCC big men dominated Scott. He did play outstanding that game though. Just clearing things up a little.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    40

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    No he did not outrebound either of the twin towers and they scored when given the ball. Exploiting the weakness of PCC's guards was the story of that game. The PCC big men dominated Scott. He did play outstanding that game though. Just clearing things up a little.
    I seem to recall them trying to throw it in to them and he deflected the passes out for turnovers. He also grabbed rebounds on them, he basically played Center for Scott. Two guys who have about 6 inches on him, only out rebounded him by a couple, they only got theirs because Scott has absolutely no inside presence.

  9. #54
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,579

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttlesworth View Post
    I seem to recall them trying to throw it in to them and he deflected the passes out for turnovers.
    Guard play. Not to say The Jake didn't do a fine job on defense but BG had zero issues getting the ball to their big men and Jake was on Terry Taylor. The difference is that BG's guards made great entry passes.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    2,529

    Quote Originally Posted by 4pointplay View Post
    And the majority of his recruiting was based on what he had done on the AAU/NCAA Certified events not based on the numbers he put up at Caverna. He played on teams a "notch" above what Jake played for during the summer events to use your vernacular.

    Playing college basketball at any level is hard and a lot of freshmen stats suffer in the transition. Not really a fair comparison to throw Faulkner's shooting numbers as a freshmen as to what Ohmer did at the state tourney. College coaches will tell you the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.

    The Jake rode a serious heater and may ultimately end up at the D1 level but just not at NKU.
    Agree with your comments in general; however, Jake's state numbers were not the result of a "serious heater" as his numbers for both the season and his career compare quite favorably. My comments were not meant to disparage Faulkner (I love the guy); but to point out you can't have enough bucket fillers on a team. The best can be off and wonderful to have another ready to step up.

  11. #56
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,579

    If the speculation and rumors have legs he'd join another bucket filler at WKU with Taveion Hollingsworth.

  12. #57
    Mack The Knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    "Last night when we were young"
    Posts
    5,400

    Great article by Mike Fields on The Jake on KHSAA.com.
    The last quote by The Jake: "The one thing I'll remember the most is my little brother just battling the big kids all week"

  13. #58
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    5,627

    So did WKU offer?

  14. #59
    brooksville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    524

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    So did WKU offer?
    Yes I believe so.

  15. #60

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,104

    Quote Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
    Very impressive run. Truly legendary.

    Where I have to put the brakes on the D1 discussion, though, and especially at NKU, is he's still 6'1", and has to play on the other side of the court. If you score 40, but the guy you're guarding scores 41, you're hurting the team. justsayin
    Dont agree at all. Dickie Beal was the smallest UK player but the best defender they had back then.

Top