Shot clocks in highschool?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Posts
    147

    Shot clocks in highschool?

    Was wandering if anyone thinks we will see shot clocks in highschool in Kentucky.I know they use them in Cali. highschools and would go out on a limb and say if it was possible to look it up that Cali. highschool teams average 15-20 more points a game than KY schools.I would loved to have seen it at the end of the Graves-Russell game when Graves held the ball for probably 7 minutes in the fourth.Also do you think it would even the playing field(or court),or would it make it even more difficult for the less athletic teams.I would personally love to see it and dont know why it is'nt brought up more often.It would prepare the kids for college ball too.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Very expensive for ALL high schools to have to put this in.

  3. #3
    FairFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03
    Location
    Big Blue Nation
    Posts
    9,252

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Very expensive for ALL high schools to have to put this in.
    Who says they have to install them, Football teams dont have play clocks installed.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by FairFan
    Who says they have to install them, Football teams dont have play clocks installed.
    They just going to have someone at the scorer's table with their Timex yelling out times????

    I don't follow.

  5. #5
    Tough as Nails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Jessamine County
    Posts
    2,034

    Quote Originally Posted by FairFan
    Who says they have to install them, Football teams dont have play clocks installed.
    Football is a different sport. In basketball the kids have to set up their offense and oftentimes would not be aware of the amount of time that they have left to shoot without a shot clock.

    I would like to see a shot clock in high school, but realize the difficulty that this may impose on some schools. Not to mention the introduction of either another volunteer to run the shot clock or another referee to pay to run it.

  6. #6
    statmanhensley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Do the Truffle Shuffle!!!
    Posts
    6,565

    In high school football, the back judge keeps the play clock on his wrist watch.

  7. #7
    jahearme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    On the 18th, putting for birdie
    Posts
    7,481

    Give it about 3 more years and KY will be using a shot clock in high school. That's my prediction anyway.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Posts
    147

    Quote Originally Posted by jahearme
    Give it about 3 more years and KY will be using a shot clock in high school. That's my prediction anyway.
    I hope so...As far as as expense,I dont see it being that big of a deal with all the boosters these days.Shot clock installations are not that expensive,and as far as the extra ref to run it they could appoint some of the refs in each region that are "not so good" and bring in some younger eyes.Just a thought

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRaySL
    I hope so...As far as as expense,I dont see it being that big of a deal with all the boosters these days.Shot clock installations are not that expensive,and as far as the extra ref to run it they could appoint some of the refs in each region that are "not so good" and bring in some younger eyes.Just a thought
    Refs will not be appointed to run it. It would be volunteers as in the person who keeps book and runs the time clock.

    Not every school has big rich boosters.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Posts
    147

    I dont think schools would have trouble finding a good volunteer,but as far as funds go I'm sure each school would find a way.Take me for example,go borrow it from a bank for something you really want but maybe could do without.LOL

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRaySL
    I dont think schools would have trouble finding a good volunteer,but as far as funds go I'm sure each school would find a way.Take me for example,go borrow it from a bank for something you really want but maybe could do without.LOL
    Some would not have a problem. Some have problems finding a person to keep clock and book for a freshmen game. Now they need a 3rd person. Ones who are not involved in running the programs, think of boys varsity and their thought process ends there.

    Those involved in the programs have to think about having 3 volunteers for each girls freshmen game, boys freshmen game, girls Junior varsity game, boys junior varsity game as well as varsity for both. In a lot of schools, HS students will be keeping book and clock because they cannot get adult volunteers for those levels.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Posts
    11,074

    I'd love to see it happen, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. LBBC has pretty much explained why. Schools are on tight budgets, and they don't have the extra $2000+ to purchase a couple shot clocks, then find volunteers, train them, and hope they show up to each game.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Posts
    147

    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212
    I'd love to see it happen, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. LBBC has pretty much explained why. Schools are on tight budgets, and they don't have the extra $2000+ to purchase a couple shot clocks, then find volunteers, train them, and hope they show up to each game.
    Who's LBBC?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Posts
    11,074

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRaySL
    Who's LBBC?

    ladiesbballcoach

  15. #15
    Augger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Eastern Kentucky
    Posts
    2,375

    I hope that KY doesnt go to a shot clock. It is hard enough to get players to run an offense without being timed much less if they do have be timed.

Top