Scott 62 Montgomery County 60

Page 3 of Final... 42 comments | 3105 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    363

    So MoCo played without Jones. They are, according to most, the top team in our region. Therefore, playing without Jones they still should have won IMO.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Feb 09
    Posts
    1,031

    With the close parity in the 10th this year no team can afford to lose a double-double guy or the leading scorer.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jul 08
    Posts
    1,517

    Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
    So MoCo played without Jones. They are, according to most, the top team in our region. Therefore, playing without Jones they still should have won IMO.
    If this is true, this is the weakest I have seen the 10th in years.

  4. #34
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,530

    The point some are overlooking here is that the shots that Jones would have taken, were taken by someone else - they weren't lost points. Same with rebounds - those rebounds he would have had were up for grabs and somebody got them.

    I totally agree that MoCo would have been a better team with him. However, it does not necessarily mean that his absence creates a 20 point difference.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    The Mill
    Posts
    141

    Quote Originally Posted by 40391 View Post
    Ok basketball analyst........you guys win it doesn't matter. Good win Scott you deserved it....
    SCOREBOARD!

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Posts
    258

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    The point some are overlooking here is that the shots that Jones would have taken, were taken by someone else - they weren't lost points. Same with rebounds - those rebounds he would have had were up for grabs and somebody got them.

    I totally agree that MoCo would have been a better team with him. However, it does not necessarily mean that his absence creates a 20 point difference.
    Great minds (#29)
    ������������

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Feb 09
    Posts
    1,031

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    The point some are overlooking here is that the shots that Jones would have taken, were taken by someone else - they weren't lost points. Same with rebounds - those rebounds he would have had were up for grabs and somebody got them.

    I totally agree that MoCo would have been a better team with him. However, it does not necessarily mean that his absence creates a 20 point difference.
    I disagree, good example was Pendleton Co. when Allen wasn't playing, they go from scoring in the 70's to the 30's. To me its the caliber of player your talking about thats out.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Mt. Sterling
    Posts
    2,557

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    The point some are overlooking here is that the shots that Jones would have taken, were taken by someone else - they weren't lost points. Same with rebounds - those rebounds he would have had were up for grabs and somebody got them.

    I totally agree that MoCo would have been a better team with him. However, it does not necessarily mean that his absence creates a 20 point difference.
    I agree. You play with what you have and if you win, you win. If you lose, you lose!

    But what you said in bold does not make sense. Sure the shots taken by Jones were probably taken by someone else, BUT WERE THEY MADE? And I am sure that rebounds that Jones would have gotten were rebounded by someone else, BUT WAS IT A MONTGOMERY COUNTY someone else! According to KHSAA stats, Scott was averaging 26 rebounds per game and finished with 29 in this game. Montgomery County was averaging 30 rebounds per game and only got 26. Alot of "ifs". Good win for Scott and learning experience for Montgomery County. Whether it is injuries, foul trouble, etc., they have to learn to win with what the game gives them!

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    204

    With the way Scott plays, they are dangerous on the W or L side against anyone.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    1,735

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    The point some are overlooking here is that the shots that Jones would have taken, were taken by someone else - they weren't lost points. Same with rebounds - those rebounds he would have had were up for grabs and somebody got them.

    I totally agree that MoCo would have been a better team with him. However, it does not necessarily mean that his absence creates a 20 point difference.
    Not necessarily, but likely the absence of a top 10 player in the region is going to be at least some amount of difference. If that difference is 3 or 20, it still would have changed the outcome of the game. While it is foolish to say having Jones would have certainly changed the outcome by 20 points, it's also foolish to say it certainly wouldn't have.

    Regardless, this is a good win for Scott. They needed this result regardless of who was out.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,497

    Some very solid arguments from both sides. The one potential point not considered is Coach Carr is no dummy. Whose to say he didn't have a shut down game plan for Jones and his absence forced an in-game adjustment that was less effective for Scott. No one wants to lose their best, but his absence might have actually elevated the balance beyond their capabilities. I believe the long bus ride was a heavy contributor to the outcome.

  12. #42
    I gotta go to work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    2,124

    Second year in a row the game was decided by one possession. Last years contest was 68-67 Scott in Mt. Sterling.

  13. #43
    4Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Petersburg, KY
    Posts
    452

    A lot of chatter about the impact of the loss of a top player in a game that doesn't matter. At all. Not districts. Not regional. Not state. Not relevant. Who cares if Scott won by 50. These games are scrimmages. Nothing more.

    If they meet in the 10th region tournament, then it will matter.

Top