Rules Reminders For Fans

Page 6 of Originally Posted by Clyde Here's one you do not see often but happened at Cincy St X last week. Player grabs rebound. Spins to throw the outlet pass t... 82 comments | 6346 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #76

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    436

    Random thoughts:

    The "blarge" is ridiculous. Can't be both, somebody blew it.

    The "bobble" call is equally ridiculous IMO. Theoretically, if you have the ball you can bat it from one end of the floor to the other without dribbling. Just hit it into the air like a volleyball...
    Advertisement

  2. #77

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Viking View Post
    Random thoughts:

    The "blarge" is ridiculous. Can't be both, somebody blew it.

    The "bobble" call is equally ridiculous IMO. Theoretically, if you have the ball you can bat it from one end of the floor to the other without dribbling. Just hit it into the air like a volleyball...
    Good discussion points.

    You are correct on the blarge. Nightmare for the officials. While I will not agree that they blew the call they had in their mind they did violate the rule of patience and seeing if your partner is coming out with a call. It's the "primary" for one of the two. Since it's an opinion they can both be right in their mind. There is simply no good way to handle it other than how it's handled now.

    Bobble. Rulebook says you cannot be called for traveling if you are not holding the ball. What you describe is not a "bobble." You're describing "tipping the ball." When you see that actually occur then we should discuss it.

  3. #78

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    It's that time of year again. Figured it would be beneficial to remind fans of some of the common rules they often do not understand.

    3. A defender deflecting the ball does not by itself negate a backcourt violation ie "over and back." If a defender bats the ball and it hits the offensive player before going into the backcourt and then the offensive player is first to touch it is a violation. Do not yell "he tipped it" or give the universal "tipped it" sign.


    .
    Just a reminder on this one. Saw a whole side of the stands lose their minds last night. Defender deflected a pass that then went off the hands of the offensive player in the front court. Offensive player ran to the backcourt and was first to touch. Violation.

    The fact that it was a tipped pass that caused the ball to hit the offensive player is irrelevant.

  4. #79

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    The other one I see coaches and fans get upset about is sliding with the ball.

    Ball is on the floor. Player dives for the ball and secures it. Player's momentum causes him/her to slide (doesn't matter how far).

    This is NOT a travel. You can slide with the ball in this case.

  5. #80
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,015

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The other one I see coaches and fans get upset about is sliding with the ball.

    Ball is on the floor. Player dives for the ball and secures it. Player's momentum causes him/her to slide (doesn't matter how far).

    This is NOT a travel. You can slide with the ball in this case.
    Correct. Just don't roll over or start to stand up

  6. #81

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Here's one you do not see often but happened at Cincy St X last week.

    Player grabs rebound. Spins to throw the outlet pass to the guard. Throws the pass. Guard not there. The passer runs after the ball which is bouncing towards the sidelines. When he gets to the ball he bats the ball (ie he didn't pick it up) and continued dribbling up the floor.

    Call is what? Legal? Illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Correct. Legal since he still had his dribble.

    Stinkyboy hit me with a great question last night about this. I had to go to the book to make sure what I originally said was true. It was.

    Question centered around beginning a dribble with two hands. In the example above the kid threw a two-handed pass and then went and dribbled it. Can you start a dribble with two hand and THEN also continue dribbling.

    1. You can start a dribble with a push or a throw - no limit on how many hands are involved.
    2. A dribble does not end until you then secure a started dribble with two hands or cause the ball to pause.

    So you cannot have a double dribble if the dribble never ended. In the example above the dribble never ended.

  7. #82

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Location
    The Fieldhouse
    Posts
    189

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Stinkyboy hit me with a great question last night about this. I had to go to the book to make sure what I originally said was true. It was.

    Question centered around beginning a dribble with two hands. In the example above the kid threw a two-handed pass and then went and dribbled it. Can you start a dribble with two hand and THEN also continue dribbling.

    1. You can start a dribble with a push or a throw - no limit on how many hands are involved.
    2. A dribble does not end until you then secure a started dribble with two hands or cause the ball to pause.

    So you cannot have a double dribble if the dribble never ended. In the example above the dribble never ended.
    So does this mean it's NOT a double dribble if you continuously dribble the ball with two hands but the ball never pauses?

  8. #83

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Goggles View Post
    So does this mean it's NOT a double dribble if you continuously dribble the ball with two hands but the ball never pauses?
    Good catch. I should have said that a dribble ends when two hands touch the dribble simultaneously.

Top