NKY Basketball- Pre-Season Edition (A Game to Catch Every Week)

  1. #1
    by ChickenWyngz is offline Premium Member
    As we look at making our way from football postseason to basketball preseason, I wanted to take the opportunity to give you a list of can’t miss games, in NKY, for the 2018-19 season. Look below for a big time game in the area for every week of the season!

    Week 1- Nov. 29th Pendleton Co. @ Scott 7:30PM- Scott HS
    Scott’s opener and Pendleton’s 3rd game of the season. You cannot miss a chance to come out and watch an in-state UK commit play basketball. Dontaie Allen is a must see if you have the chance. This matchup features 2 teams who have the chance to be in the hunt when it all comes to an end for 10th region tournament play. Do not miss out on the opportunity to catch this one!

    Week 2- Dec 4th Conner @ Cooper 7:30PM- Cooper HS
    District 33 rarely disappoints when it comes to in-district match-ups featuring any of the Boone Co. schools. No matter the season that each team is expected to have you can expect a dog fight all night long with plenty of players going all out for the 50/50 ball. Take the opportunity in the early part of the season to see Coach Sullivan’s defensive minded approach, and some team first basketball.

    Week 3- Dec 15th John Turner Classic- Newport HS
    Okay, I cheated. I picked an entire host of games to give you, but it will be mid-December weather, shopping traffic will be awful, and… what else are you going to do? All games will be played throughout the day at Newport HS and feature some great match-ups. See the games below.
    Scott vs Holy Cross (Covington)
    Fern Creek vs Cooper
    Dixie Heights vs Newport
    CovCath vs Taft (Cincinnati)
    Newport Central Catholic vs Campbell Co.

    Week 4- Dec 21st & Dec 22nd- Swauger Holiday Classic- Bellevue HS
    I cheated a second week in a row. Same reason, but with worse holiday traffic. Bellevue’s Swauger Classic provides a chance to get out and enjoy some competitive basketball from some of the oft forgotten smaller schools in our NKY region. Schools playing in the event this year are Newport, Bracken Co., Bellevue and Ludlow.

    Week 5- Dec 28th - Owen Co. @ Walton-Verona- 7:30PM- Walton-Verona
    It’s a little further south than most want to drive for a NKY sporting event, but with limited action in the area during this week it should be the most competitive game on the board. Take the chance to see Walton's Xavier signee, Dieonte Miles. Last year, with Miles out, Walton pulled off the upset against a very talented Campbell Co team. There is plenty of talent on the floor for you to see in Walton.

    Week 6- Jan 5th- Campbell Co. vs Brossart- 7:00PM- Campbell Co. MS
    The first Saturday in January means the Crosstown Shootout in Alexandria, KY. Brossart and Campbell Co. play a girls/boys double header every year on this day. A classic rivalry match-up that will usually end up close no matter who the better team is on paper! The atmosphere is incredible,and it will end up being standing room only. Show up early and bring some canned goods for the annual canned food drive hosted by these two schools!

    Week 7- Jan 7th- Scott vs Holmes- 7:30PM- TBA
    The story line for this game is made for the movies. Brad Carr coaches for the first time against his former team in the Scott Eagles, who happen to be led by a former assistant, Steve Fromeyer. Add to it that this game is in the new 2A Classic that was recently developed and you have the ingredients for quite a fun event.

    Week 8- Jan 18th- Cincinnati St. Xavier @ CovCath- 7:30PM- CovCath
    If you want to experience the best high school basketball atmosphere in the area (and maybe the state) make your way to CovCath on January 18th. Cincinnati St. Xavier will travel south to take on the Colonels. The Colonel Crazies will have the place rocking, and it will be another standing room only affair. Show up early to catch this showdown that will not disappoint.

    Week 9- Jan 22nd- Campbell Co. @ CovCath- 7:30PM CovCath
    I wanted to share the wealth amongst NKY teams as much as possible, so I did my best not to have CovCath games as my pick in back to back weeks. I could not resist in the end. Two teams that are reigning regional champions and have a great chance to do it again. Last year this game was won on a buzzer beater by CovCath. With CovCath’s always talented roster and the talent that the Camels return you won’t want to miss it.

    Week 10- Feb 1st- Boone @ Ryle- 7:30PM- Ryle HS
    Just like was mentioned before when any combination of the Boone County schools play it’ll be a battle. Boone and Ryle are not coming off of their most successful of seasons, but this district is always up in the air. This late season game will give us a solid glimpse into the district tournament starting a few weeks later.

    Week 11- Feb 4th- Newport @ Newport Central Catholic- 7:30PM- Newport Central Catholic
    This is a fun game each and every year. Newport and NewCath battling on the hardword for bragging rights. The gym will fill up quickly and there will be a buzz in the air. Coach Collopy will have the Thoroughbreds playing sound basketball, and Rod Snapp’s teams always have the battle to the end mentality. This game should be a fun one to watch.

    Week 12- Feb 12th- Highlands @ Holy Cross (Covington)- 7:30PM- Holy Cross HS
    Both teams are coming off seasons in which they finished below .500, but there are other storylines in play here. Coach Listerman had the Bluebirds playing better toward the end of last season, after an 0-4 start, and playing a tough schedule. They lost by only 2 points to NewCath, who was a runner-up for their district. Holy Cross will be taken over by Brandon Grammer, and it will be interesting to see his end of the season product after plenty of time to run things his way.
    Last edited by ChickenWyngz; Nov 1, 18 at 11:35 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    2,179

    SK vs Walton Verona?

  3. #3
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    13,561

    Good stuff @ChickenWyngz ...really helping to wet my whistle for the upcoming season.

    NKY high school basketball never gets old, and it's always something exciting to rely on and look forward to season after season, and especially during those dreaded cold and sloppy winter months.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Posts
    38

    Another date to pencil in: 2/8 Madison Central @ Walton-Verona. Two of the states best big men going head to head. Also, WV is less than 10 minutes past the Florence exit and it is in Boone County! Travel shouldn't be a reason to catch a Walton-Verona game with Miles this year.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    341

    Quote Originally Posted by CollegefootballGuy69 View Post
    SK vs Walton Verona?
    That game will definitely be more than worthy of seeing as well. Walton has a high level D1 big man, and SK should be very solid according to word on the street.

    When and where is this game again?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    341

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSeas View Post
    Another date to pencil in: 2/8 Madison Central @ Walton-Verona. Two of the states best big men going head to head. Also, WV is less than 10 minutes past the Florence exit and it is in Boone County! Travel shouldn't be a reason to catch a Walton-Verona game with Miles this year.
    Agree 100%. Always cringe when I hear people mention traveling “all the way down to Walton.

    Agree the Madison Central showdown will be a great one!

  7. #7
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,384

    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWyngz View Post
    Week 6- Jan 5th- Campbell Co. vs Brossart- 7:00PM- Campbell Co. MS
    The first Saturday in January means the Crosstown Shootout in Alexandria, KY. Brossart and Campbell Co. play a girls/boys double header every year on this day. A classic rivalry match-up that will usually end up close no matter who the better team is on paper! The atmosphere is incredible,and it will end up being standing room only. Show up early and bring some canned goods for the annual canned food drive hosted by these two schools!
    You are dead right. This is the best regional tournament atmosphere during the regular season - a real community event!

    This will not be a Girl/Boy Doubleheader this year. Since there is no conflict with the 10th Region "A" Tournament this week, we are going back to our old format of the Girls playing a tripleheader (Fr-JV-V) on Friday night at 4:30pm, 6pm, and 7:30pm, and the boys doing the same on Saturday.

    This is also a district seeding game which always adds to the hype.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    341

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    You are dead right. This is the best regional tournament atmosphere during the regular season - a real community event!

    This will not be a Girl/Boy Doubleheader this year. Since there is no conflict with the 10th Region "A" Tournament this week, we are going back to our old format of the Girls playing a tripleheader (Fr-JV-V) on Friday night at 4:30pm, 6pm, and 7:30pm, and the boys doing the same on Saturday.

    This is also a district seeding game which always adds to the hype.
    Kind of a bummer! Liked the doubleheader format. Gave the girls the chance to play in that similar atmosphere as the boys get!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    41

    Awesome job on the article! So many good games to choose from.

    Scott got a lot of love in this article and I just wanted to list two more games for the Eagles that should be fun to watch.

    2/1 Campbell County @ Scott (7:30 tip)

    This game is a rematch of the 2017 & 2018 10th Region Championship game. Both teams are very talented and should have a great atmosphere as the past matchups have.

    2/8 Simon Kenton @ Scott (7:30 tip)

    If you know NKY basketball, you know the history of SK vs Scott! This rivalry game has always been a great game (no matter what the talent level is for either team) and always brings an awesome crowd.

    The 2018-2019 NKY HS Boys Basketball season should be a good one to watch! The future of basketball in this area is bright and Iím excited to see how it all plays out!

    Good luck to all!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    341

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    Awesome job on the article! So many good games to choose from.

    Scott got a lot of love in this article and I just wanted to list two more games for the Eagles that should be fun to watch.

    2/1 Campbell County @ Scott (7:30 tip)

    This game is a rematch of the 2017 & 2018 10th Region Championship game. Both teams are very talented and should have a great atmosphere as the past matchups have.

    2/8 Simon Kenton @ Scott (7:30 tip)

    If you know NKY basketball, you know the history of SK vs Scott! This rivalry game has always been a great game (no matter what the talent level is for either team) and always brings an awesome crowd.

    The 2018-2019 NKY HS Boys Basketball season should be a good one to watch! The future of basketball in this area is bright and I’m excited to see how it all plays out!

    Good luck to all!
    I agree that both games could have been included. Scott and Campbell is always a great game, and SK could/should have easily made the list somewhere. They will definitely be a team to catch at some point this year.

  11. #11
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    703

    Great write-up Chicken Wyngs.

Top