Newport Central Catholic 57 Boone County 41

  1. #1
    Lawnboy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 2.0
    Posts
    45,016

    Newport Central Catholic 57 Boone County 41

    Per @frankdracman23

    Kind of a workman-like win for NCC. Hall is the real deal and the offense runs thru him as it should. Probably a deeper team than NCC has had in quite awhile.

    Past bigs for NCC were very good basketball players but the QB now playing b-ball after 4 years not playing has some serious athletic ability. Dunks tonight were as effortless as you will see in a high school game.

    Boone Co relied on the 3 a little too much but inside looks were not falling. Still they hung around and they will knock some of the better teams off this year.

    Per yours truly

    NewCath 13-14-19-11---57
    Boone Co 08-10-14-09---41

    NewCath

    Hall 14
    Wurtz 12
    Henschen 8
    Moeves 8
    Neff 5
    Pangallo 4
    Luken 3
    McDaniel 3
    Jefferson 1

    FT's 16/23

    Boone Co.

    Nyman 11
    Bowman 8
    Rodgers 7
    Ba 6
    Haynes 5
    Robbins 2
    Hicks 2

    FT's 5/8
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Lawnboy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 2.0
    Posts
    45,016

    Breds defensive pressure gave the Rebels fits tonight, but Boone Co. did not give up all night.

    Both teams didn't shoot well from the field, but when the Breds went inside it started to pay dividends.

    Was really impressed with the play of the Breds Patrick Henschen. 3 blocked shots, made some very nice plays on defense (the save of a ball going out of bounds was AMAZING), but the alley-oop dunks were FLAWLESS, he got some serious hops! Tip of the cap to Moeves and Pangallo on beautiful passes on both flushes.

    The game got "chippy" at the end. I can't recall the Boone Co. player, but he was all over Jefferson on a couple possessions (Ref's even spoke to them) and with clock winding down, less then 10 seconds remaining, Jefferson is dribbling near the end-line under the NewCath basket, when he forcefully shoved out of bounds, an immediate Intentional Foul is called.

    Like the point production from Trey Wurtz, he has the ability to get double figures every game. He is very smooth down low, but needs to maintain that "get out of my way" mentality.

  3. #3
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    26,313

    I expected Moeves to become a more prolific scorer than he has turned out to be.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    4,672

    Someone better tell Newport Central Catholic that their "NewCath" uniforms are in violation of the no shortening the name rule.

    NewCath upsets Cooper in boys’ basketball showdown between two of area’s top teams | NKyTribune

  5. #5
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    23,638

    Breds seem to be working out the kinks. Henschen was all world in the summer hoops league that the NCC guys do on the outdoor courts I hear.

  6. #6
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    13,168

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdracman23 View Post
    Someone better tell Newport Central Catholic that their "NewCath" uniforms are in violation of the no shortening the name rule.

    NewCath upsets Cooper in boys’ basketball showdown between two of area’s top teams | NKyTribune
    I still won't use that middle name to describe that school. It had 2 names when I went there and the only time I was called using my middle name is when I was in trouble.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    478

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I expected Moeves to become a more prolific scorer than he has turned out to be.
    Confidence... Once that comes back they just better get out of his way.

    Keep shooting

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,550

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I expected Moeves to become a more prolific scorer than he has turned out to be.
    He played football this year. In fairness, he's been surrounded by 4 very good scorers over his career. I'd expect him to get his sea legs and become a 13-15 pt guy w/in the month.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,550

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Breds seem to be working out the kinks. Henschen was all world in the summer hoops league that the NCC guys do on the outdoor courts I hear.
    When you are 6'6 w/ a 37 inch vertical, you will be a weapon at the high school level.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    4,672

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    When you are 6'6 w/ a 37 inch vertical, you will be a weapon at the high school level.
    If NCC ever gets to the point where they can play 2 of their 3 bigs together that is a tough matchup for any high school team. They have 3 that all bring different things to the game. Plus they do not have to worry about foul trouble.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    239

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdracman23 View Post
    If NCC ever gets to the point where they can play 2 of their 3 bigs together that is a tough matchup for any high school team. They have 3 that all bring different things to the game. Plus they do not have to worry about foul trouble.
    Is the Henschen kid more athletic then the bigs they had in the past years. How tall is he

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Posts
    423

    Is Jefferson not playing much varsity ball? Don't see his name much

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    4,672

    Quote Originally Posted by HeGotGame View Post
    Is the Henschen kid more athletic then the bigs they had in the past years. How tall is he
    Way more athletic but lacking in basketball fluid-ness with not having played for 4 years. Faster and can jump higher but not the scorer of the past bigs.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    4,672

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Tiger 17 View Post
    Is Jefferson not playing much varsity ball? Don't see his name much
    Starts JV and subs in on Varsity.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 16
    Posts
    376

    Turning BC into a 3 point shooting team is a good defensive strategy. I think their strength is in their bigs/inside game.

Top Newport Central Catholic 57  Boone County 41