Newport 68 Newport Central Catholic 66 (OT) 36th district championship

  1. #1
    AM I EVIL?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    465

    Newport 68 Newport Central Catholic 66 (OT) 36th district championship

    Great game.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,847

    Newport looked to have this in the bag after 3 but NewCath owned the 4th. Donnie Miller nailed an And1 with 5 ticks to go in OT to give Newport the final point they needed for the win.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 13
    Posts
    592

    Congrats Newport. When is the last time someone other than Highlands or Newport Central Catholic won the 36th District? Either one has won it every year dating back to the 97-98 season. NCC had won it nine years in a row. Highlands last won it in 2008.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    203

    Nice no call on hall at the end when he body checked across the floor right in front of pouncy! Great game newport. Sad someone had to lose!

  5. #5
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    13,773

    Quote Originally Posted by PsalmsG View Post
    Congrats Newport. When is the last time someone other than Highlands or Newport Central Catholic won the 36th District? Either one has won it every year dating back to the 97-98 season. NCC had won it nine years in a row. Highlands last won it in 2008.
    With redistricting over the years this one is difficult to answer completely, but as far back as 1997 NewCath and Highlands have been the champs of the 36th District.

    Even in 2010 when Newport won the 9th Region they did so as the 36th District runner-ups.

    Previous to this for many years NewCath was in the the 35th Distirct along with the likes of Bellevue, Dayton, and Newport, and even Holmes from '88-'96, while Highlands was in the 36th along with the likes of Scott, Campbell Co., Silver Grove and Brossart.

    Scott entered the picture in '79, and St. Thomas closed after the '76 season.

    In '95 and '96 Holmes won the 35th when NewCath was also in the 35th.

    NewCath won the 35th in 1994.

    Holmes also had a run as the winners from '88-'93 in the same 35th with NewCath.

    In '86 and '87 NewCath won the 35th.

    You have to go back as far as '85 when Newport won the 35th over NewCath, Bellevue and Dayton.

    NewCath won the 35th in '83 and '84

    Newport won the 35th in '82

    NewCath won the 35th in '81

    Newport won the 35th in '80

    NewCath won the 35th in '79

    Newport won the 35th in '77 & '78

    NewCath won the 35th from '69-'76

    Dayton won the 35th in '68

    Newport won the 35th in '67

    NewCath won the 35th from '64-'66

    Newport won the 35th in '63

    NewCath won the 35th in '62

    Newport won the 35th in '61

    NewCath won the 35th in '60

    Newport won the 35th in '59

    NewCath won the 35th in '58

    Newport won the 35th in '55-'57 but at this time NewCath was in the 36th while Highlands was in the 35th.

    Previous to '55 the 35th was comprised of Dixie, Holy Cross, CovCath, Beechwood, Ludlow, and Holmes

    and the 36th was comprised of Highlands, Silver Grove, Newport, Bellevue, NewCath, Campbell Co, Dayton, and St. Thomas.

    The 36th district in '55-'57 when Newport was in the 35th was won by NewCath.

    Newport won the 36th in '54

    NewCath won the 36th in '53

    Newport won the 36th in '52

    Campbell Co won the 36th in '51

    Newport won the 36th in '50

    Bellevue won the 36th in '49

    Dayton won the 36th in '48

    Newport won the 35th in '46 & '47

    Previous to '46 then it gets really confusing, so I won't even bother trying to explain.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    Quote Originally Posted by Call It Like It Is View Post
    Nice no call on hall at the end when he body checked across the floor right in front of pouncy! Great game newport. Sad someone had to lose!
    If you're saying there was a foul you'd make a bad witness (and referee).

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    203

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    If you're saying there was a foul you'd make a bad witness (and referee).
    I was front row with a very credible witness. Game over. Great game.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    Quote Originally Posted by Call It Like It Is View Post
    I was front row with a very credible witness. Game over. Great game.
    So tell us what you and your credible witness saw.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    203

    Great game. He was body checked thats all i'm. It was and 1 the possession before where there was no foul. But swallow your whistle when kid gets knocked to the floor. Game over things happen. Newport earned the victory an congrats!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    2,138

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    With redistricting over the years this one is difficult to answer completely, but as far back as 1997 NewCath and Highlands have been the champs of the 36th District.

    Even in 2010 when Newport won the 9th Region they did so as the 36th District runner-ups.

    Previous to this for many years NewCath was in the the 35th Distirct along with the likes of Bellevue, Dayton, and Newport, and even Holmes from '88-'96, while Highlands was in the 36th along with the likes of Scott, Campbell Co., Silver Grove and Brossart.

    Scott entered the picture in '79, and St. Thomas closed after the '76 season.

    In '95 and '96 Holmes won the 35th when NewCath was also in the 35th.

    NewCath won the 35th in 1994.

    Holmes also had a run as the winners from '88-'93 in the same 35th with NewCath.

    In '86 and '87 NewCath won the 35th.

    You have to go back as far as '85 when Newport won the 35th over NewCath, Bellevue and Dayton.

    NewCath won the 35th in '83 and '84

    Newport won the 35th in '82

    NewCath won the 35th in '81

    Newport won the 35th in '80

    NewCath won the 35th in '79

    Newport won the 35th in '77 & '78

    NewCath won the 35th from '69-'76

    Dayton won the 35th in '68

    Newport won the 35th in '67

    NewCath won the 35th from '64-'66

    Newport won the 35th in '63

    NewCath won the 35th in '62

    Newport won the 35th in '61

    NewCath won the 35th in '60

    Newport won the 35th in '59

    NewCath won the 35th in '58

    Newport won the 35th in '55-'57 but at this time NewCath was in the 36th while Highlands was in the 35th.

    Previous to '55 the 35th was comprised of Dixie, Holy Cross, CovCath, Beechwood, Ludlow, and Holmes

    and the 36th was comprised of Highlands, Silver Grove, Newport, Bellevue, NewCath, Campbell Co, Dayton, and St. Thomas.

    The 36th district in '55-'57 when Newport was in the 35th was won by NewCath.

    Newport won the 36th in '54

    NewCath won the 36th in '53

    Newport won the 36th in '52

    Campbell Co won the 36th in '51

    Newport won the 36th in '50

    Bellevue won the 36th in '49

    Dayton won the 36th in '48

    Newport won the 35th in '46 & '47

    Previous to '46 then it gets really confusing, so I won't even bother trying to explain.
    All of this also tells me that Campbell County, Brossart and Scott are pretty darn lucky they got moved to the 10th Region

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    Quote Originally Posted by Call It Like It Is View Post
    Great game. He was body checked thats all i'm. It was and 1 the possession before where there was no foul. But swallow your whistle when kid gets knocked to the floor. Game over things happen. Newport earned the victory an congrats!
    The above should be a reminder to all who post/talk about officials. You're either blinded by passion for a team or you simply have bad eyes.

    Hall, like all stud players, tried to make a play. He tried to go between 3 defenders.No contact. HE (Hall) hits the ball with his OWN knee which causes it to go flying. You will also notice there was no "body check" nor did he even get touched. He ran after the ball and dove for it.

    Twitter

    Anyone see a body check? Anyone see a foul?

  12. #12
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    13,773

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    All of this also tells me that Campbell County, Brossart and Scott are pretty darn lucky they got moved to the 10th Region
    The 36th District from 1958-1996

    '96 Scott
    '95 Campbell Co.
    '94 Highlands
    '93 Highlands
    '92 Highlands
    '91 Highlands
    '90 Scott
    '89 Scott
    '88 Campbell Co.
    '87 Highlands
    '86 Campbell Co.
    '85 Campbell Co.
    '84 Highlands
    '83 Highlands
    '82 Highlands
    '81 Campbell Co.
    '80 Highlands
    '79 Highlands
    '78 Highlands
    '77 Highlands
    '76 Highlands
    '75 Campbell Co.
    '74 St. Thomas
    '73 Campbell Co.
    '72 Highlands
    '71 Highlands
    '70 Highlands
    '69 Campbell Co.
    '68 Campbell Co.
    '67 Campbell Co.
    '66 St. Thomas
    '65 St. Thomas
    '64 Highlands
    '63 Campbell Co.
    '62 Highlands
    '61 Highlands
    '60 Campbell Co.
    '59 Campbell Co.
    '58 Campbell Co.

  13. #13
    REALSPORT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    52

    Not sure who #23 for NCC is but he was wide open

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    1,166

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    With redistricting over the years this one is difficult to answer completely, but as far back as 1997 NewCath and Highlands have been the champs of the 36th District.

    Even in 2010 when Newport won the 9th Region they did so as the 36th District runner-ups.

    Previous to this for many years NewCath was in the the 35th Distirct along with the likes of Bellevue, Dayton, and Newport, and even Holmes from '88-'96, while Highlands was in the 36th along with the likes of Scott, Campbell Co., Silver Grove and Brossart.

    Scott entered the picture in '79, and St. Thomas closed after the '76 season.

    In '95 and '96 Holmes won the 35th when NewCath was also in the 35th.

    NewCath won the 35th in 1994.

    Holmes also had a run as the winners from '88-'93 in the same 35th with NewCath.

    In '86 and '87 NewCath won the 35th.

    You have to go back as far as '85 when Newport won the 35th over NewCath, Bellevue and Dayton.

    NewCath won the 35th in '83 and '84

    Newport won the 35th in '82

    NewCath won the 35th in '81

    Newport won the 35th in '80

    NewCath won the 35th in '79

    Newport won the 35th in '77 & '78

    NewCath won the 35th from '69-'76

    Dayton won the 35th in '68

    Newport won the 35th in '67

    NewCath won the 35th from '64-'66

    Newport won the 35th in '63

    NewCath won the 35th in '62

    Newport won the 35th in '61

    NewCath won the 35th in '60

    Newport won the 35th in '59

    NewCath won the 35th in '58

    Newport won the 35th in '55-'57 but at this time NewCath was in the 36th while Highlands was in the 35th.

    Previous to '55 the 35th was comprised of Dixie, Holy Cross, CovCath, Beechwood, Ludlow, and Holmes

    and the 36th was comprised of Highlands, Silver Grove, Newport, Bellevue, NewCath, Campbell Co, Dayton, and St. Thomas.

    The 36th district in '55-'57 when Newport was in the 35th was won by NewCath.

    Newport won the 36th in '54

    NewCath won the 36th in '53

    Newport won the 36th in '52

    Campbell Co won the 36th in '51

    Newport won the 36th in '50

    Bellevue won the 36th in '49

    Dayton won the 36th in '48

    Newport won the 35th in '46 & '47

    Previous to '46 then it gets really confusing, so I won't even bother trying to explain.
    That's a lot of research B-Ball or you have one heck of a memory, nice job and thanks.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    456

    Wow, what a game and an atmosphere to match. Game had to have been sold out and it was loud. Newport built up a 6-10 pt lead in the 2nd half but began playing not to lose in the 4th quarter. NCC slowly chipped away and hit 2 big there's with around a minute to go to tie the game. Both teams wanted this game and left it all out there. Hall hit 2 big free throws to send the game to OT but couldn't get to the basket that last drive. In most games and in Indiana it's called a foul but the refs were consistent with not calling much and letting the kids decide the game. Don't have a problem with it, I have no dog in the fight. Love games being decided by kids and not the whistle. Newport has a very good future with most everyone except Burries back. He can play but he's far from their only weapon. With Cov Cath's mass graduation class Newport may go into next yr as the region 9 favorites. But that's next yr. They could make a real run next week.
    Gotta give some love for Kentucky basketball. Good ppl, great atmosphere, and awesome game. Couldn't ask for much more.

Top