Litkenhous Ratings (1-18-2016)

Page 2 of Follow link below for full ratings: Covington Catholic takes top spot in Litkenhous Ratings | USA Today High School Sports | USA Today High School Spor... 36 comments | 3829 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    InItToWinIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,686

    Does anybody even take these are legitimate rankings, anyway? Head to head, especially when the games were recent, is much more accurate IMO than a computer's formula.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by InItToWinIt View Post
    Does anybody even take these are legitimate rankings, anyway? Head to head, especially when the games were recent, is much more accurate IMO than a computer's formula.
    I disagree. I think it gives us a view that we do not consider. One-game snapshots can be misleading. I can come up with all sorts of reasons to say a team is better or worse than others think. Take HC:

    Better than people think argument:

    Beat CCH, Cooper, and NCC

    Worse than people think argument:

    All wins were at home
    Lost by 12 to a solid not great Brossart team
    Lost to Lexington Catholic who lost to St Henry
    Only beat Highlands by 7

    CCH -

    Better than people think:

    Beat NCC
    Lost to Ohio D1 power Wilmington by 2
    # of losses do not take into account their schedule
    Cooper loss was first game with young team
    Lost in OT to top 5 Trinity
    Beat Taylor County by 46 points

    Worse than people think:

    Not beating top teams
    Lost to Cooper before Cooper was full strength
    Blown out by top team in Florida
    Lost to Holy Cross team that played 5 guys


    I can do that with every team. Fans will pick out the facts that support their heart.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    77

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I disagree. I think it gives us a view that we do not consider. One-game snapshots can be misleading. I can come up with all sorts of reasons to say a team is better or worse than others think. Take HC:

    Better than people think argument:

    Beat CCH, Cooper, and NCC

    Worse than people think argument:

    All wins were at home
    Lost by 12 to a solid not great Brossart team
    Lost to Lexington Catholic who lost to St Henry
    Only beat Highlands by 7

    CCH -

    Better than people think:

    Beat NCC
    Lost to Ohio D1 power Wilmington by 2
    # of losses do not take into account their schedule
    Cooper loss was first game with young team
    Lost in OT to top 5 Trinity
    Beat Taylor County by 46 points

    Worse than people think:

    Not beating top teams
    Lost to Cooper before Cooper was full strength
    Blown out by top team in Florida
    Lost to Holy Cross team that played 5 guys


    I can do that with every team. Fans will pick out the facts that support their heart.
    This makes no sense. Holy Cross hasn't lost to a 9th region team. They beat Cooper, Covcath, and Newcath so what if it was at Home. CovCath lost 2 games at Home against Trinity and Wilmington. Holy Cross beat CovCath who was #1 in state in some polls last week and beat Cooper at the time they were 15th in state and beat Newcath who in this poll is 11th in state. I think Holy Cross has played a great schedule so far. Remember just my opinion

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger13 View Post
    This makes no sense. Holy Cross hasn't lost to a 9th region team. They beat Cooper, Covcath, and Newcath so what if it was at Home. CovCath lost 2 games at Home against Trinity and Wilmington. Holy Cross beat CovCath who was #1 in state in some polls last week and beat Cooper at the time they were 15th in state and beat Newcath who in this poll is 11th in state. I think Holy Cross has played a great schedule so far. Remember just my opinion
    You ask me to "remember" that it's your opinion AFTER you start of by saying my opinion makes no sense. Got it.

  5. #20
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,204

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Every person that builds a computer ranking system has their own predilections.
    For the purposes of this discussion pertaining to Holy Cross I am seeing flawed more than bias. The implication is that CCH benefits from bias. I have a hard time believing Litkenhous' formula is biased towards CCH but I can see how it can be flawed.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    77

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    You ask me to "remember" that it's your opinion AFTER you start of by saying my opinion makes no sense. Got it.
    Welcome

  7. #22
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,204

    Quote Originally Posted by lamontab View Post
    Being an IT guy I understand about formulas that are used by computers. With that being said I would wager this said formula uses human polls. Which are bias, because I bet you can't name someone outside of the 9th region that would rank Holy Cross ahead of CovCath this year.
    I don't know anything about the formula for Litkenhous or Cantrall so I can't give an informed answer.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger13 View Post
    This makes no sense. Holy Cross hasn't lost to a 9th region team. They beat Cooper, Covcath, and Newcath so what if it was at Home. CovCath lost 2 games at Home against Trinity and Wilmington. Holy Cross beat CovCath who was #1 in state in some polls last week and beat Cooper at the time they were 15th in state and beat Newcath who in this poll is 11th in state. I think Holy Cross has played a great schedule so far. Remember just my opinion
    To your argument: The computer calc doesn't care about regions. Again, they use variables. Region by itself is not a variable. They use SOS and opponent W/L. No chance HC is near CCH in SOS. Home wins DO matter - they give you less credit than a win on the road.

    What teams were AT THE TIME of the game is also irrelevant in the computer calc.

    You're looking at it as a human.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I don't know anything about the formula for Litkenhous or Cantrall so I can't give an informed answer.
    No one knows for sure. Heck, Litkenhous has been around since the 30s.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Here's the beauty for HC fans - computer calc can't take away the #1 seed in the 35th. Darn good chance you get to play at BB&T. Enjoy it.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    77

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Here's the beauty for HC fans - computer calc can't take away the #1 seed in the 35th. Darn good chance you get to play at BB&T. Enjoy it.
    CovCath number 1 in State but number 2 in District. Crazy stuff. Lol

  12. #27
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,204

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    No one knows for sure. Heck, Litkenhous has been around since the 30s.
    I'd love to know the secret recipe. For this and Cantrall. Trying to figure them out is confusing as hell.

  13. #28
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,659

    Settle it on the court. Nobody gets a trophy for a mid-season ranking.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger13 View Post
    CovCath number 1 in State but number 2 in District. Crazy stuff. Lol
    And no guarantee they beat Holmes to get out of the district.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    77

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    And no guarantee they beat Holmes to get out of the district.
    True. Holmes would have to play great to beat Covcath

Top