Jake Ohmer commits to WKU

Page 3 of Per twitter, Jake Ohmer has officially committed to Western Kentucky University... 168 comments | 19007 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    360

    WKU had the spot available. They were openly searching for spots to be filled with the 2017 class. Young man took advantage of an opportunity...looks like he deserves everything he is getting. Good lesson for the youngins...keep working hard, it'll eventually pay off.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    68

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Hard to do when you don't have a scholarship available, ain't it?
    Ain't like Ohmer jus started showing the bluegrass he could ball...been putting up numbers since soph year. Still should've been on the Norse radar....mayb he was but once again they missed out on a hometown hero. #TebowEffect

  3. #33
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,818

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    Bite all you want. No debate WKU > NKU. Norse have a looooooong way to go.
    Good luck to him.

  4. #34
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,818

    This thread got​ comical real quick.

    Congrats to Jake!

  5. #35
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    19,959

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Hard to do when you don't have a scholarship available, ain't it?
    Yes it is. I didn't realize they were all maxed out on schlolarships.

    But it would have certainly been a plus to have had this young man on board if they could have made it possible.

  6. #36
    Brcatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    204

    Baseball will be his Sport...

    Verbal to WKU means nothing
    until you sign on the dotted line...

  7. #37
    OpieTaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Mayberry
    Posts
    1,487

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    I stopped biting at bait like that 8 years ago on this site.
    Astonishing the paths a lot of threads on here end up taking.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    118

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    Bite all you want. No debate WKU > NKU. Norse have a looooooong way to go.
    Just because WKU is better than NKU doesnt mean Jake was a right fit at NKU, they have a freshman guard that was every bit as good as Jake in high school and better than him on the AAU circuit. Jake impressed the WKU staff which is great for him. Going to WKU doesnt guarantee he will ever play significant minutes there. I could make a very long list of the players who went D1 only to transfer to a NAIA or D2 school due to lack of playing time. Wish the kid nothing but success but knocking the NKU staff after the year they had just because they didnt recruit a kid that no D1 was recruiting doesnt seem right in my book.
    Last edited by Northside; Mar 20, 17 at 04:39 PM.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Posts
    6,897

    Quote Originally Posted by Brcatz View Post
    Baseball will be his Sport...

    Verbal to WKU means nothing
    until you sign on the dotted line...
    I just wonder what his scholarship list looks like for baseball, if it has any offers from Northern Kentucky,Xavier,etc.? I also think he should have chosen baseball, he was real good a couple of years back when saw him in regional and state tournament.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    Richmond KY
    Posts
    644

    Congratulations to Jake, a true gamer for sure. Baseball might be his SPORT, but what ppl don't realize is college baseball has very few full rides available no matter what division. Was friends with a kid who went to Louisville to play baseball and was amazed when he told me only about 10 players had FULL rides. Everybody else was divided up so they each could get some scholarship money. If basketball is a full ride, my bet is, THAT just became his sport

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,239

    Quote Originally Posted by All In View Post
    I just wonder what his scholarship list looks like for baseball, if it has any offers from Northern Kentucky,Xavier,etc.? I also think he should have chosen baseball, he was real good a couple of years back when saw him in regional and state tournament.
    Kent State was pretty serious at one point.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,239

    Quote Originally Posted by Realreason View Post
    Congratulations to Jake, a true gamer for sure. Baseball might be his SPORT, but what ppl don't realize is college baseball has very few full rides available no matter what division. Was friends with a kid who went to Louisville to play baseball and was amazed when he told me only about 10 players had FULL rides. Everybody else was divided up so they each could get some scholarship money. If basketball is a full ride, my bet is, THAT just became his sport
    It's even less than that. D1 schools get the equivalent of 11.7 schollys to give out. D2 gets 9. No one gets a "full" baseball ride. Most guys get 1/4 and hopefully they've got the grades to get additional money, or the rest gets made up with grants or loans. It's certainly something that any really good two sport athlete that plays baseball has to consider, and it's why many who get drafted out of high school make the jump and bypass college.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Bowling Green
    Posts
    417

    Coach Stansbury was there to watch his son play and got a look at "The Jake". The rest is history.

  14. #44
    Brcatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    204

    Stansbury will be Leaving soon...
    Make a bet on it.
    Hearing Indiana is Interested
    Last edited by Brcatz; Mar 20, 17 at 06:13 PM.

  15. #45
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,799

    Quote Originally Posted by Brcatz View Post
    Baseball will be his Sport...

    Verbal to WKU means nothing
    until you sign on the dotted line...
    Money talks and there simply isn't enough money in college baseball that will top a scholarship from WKU for basketball.

Top